German Shepherds Forum banner

Herndon VA - Big GSD lost - reward offered

9K views 104 replies 25 participants last post by  Elmo's Mom 
#1 ·
This person was a previous adopter from VGSR and recently adopted a dog from a private individual.

Lea

Thunder (Tundie) my longcoat German Shepherd escaped from the house as the dog walker entered on Monday December 14th. He ran off along Frying Pan Road in Herndon but has also been sighted near the Loudoun County border by the Centennial Golf Course. He is wearing a choke collar and brown leather collar with tags. The name on the tag is Chewy, but he responds best to Tundie. He is "wolf colored" (predominantly black with cream markings,) with a solid black face, stands 30 inches high, weighs 105 pounds, and can easily be taken for a Shiloh Shepherd. He is new to the Herndon area and is very panicked, very lost, and by now very hungry. Tundie is very gentle and not at all aggressive but he will be very wary of strangers. He likes going for rides so you may be able to coax him into an open car by tossing a treat inside and saying "come on Tundie, let's go for a ride," and you may be able to approach him with another dog. Please call your county Animal Control if he runs so they can search for him. And please, please call me immediately if you see him so I can come to get him. My home phone is 703-793-0923; work is 703-446-1666, and cell is 703-568-5879. Tundie is not AKC registered and is only valuable to those who love him. $500 Reward. kshurwitz@fcps.edu<mailto:kshurwitz@fcps.edu>

See less See more
#77 ·
There was a sighting in Herndon today at the corner of Alabama & Florida--and the weather is supposed to be *slightly* warmer in the next few days--sure have high hopes that he will just finally give up and get caught! Poor puppy, I just want to give him a big hug--and a steak.

#82 ·
According to a post from Liz, around noon Tundie was playing with the owner's boyfriend's little white dog in his backyard. They were trying to figure out how to get him in the house. They had the house doors opened and the car doors opened.

Mind you, it is 21 degrees out with a horrible cold whipping wind. You would think he would want to follow the little fellow inside.

Keep your fingers, toes, eyes and paws crossed.

#83 ·
A trainer recommended a method of catching and escapee dog to me. He suggested to lay down on the ground and wave the arms and legs in the air. This is a very unusual position for humans and dog like to check it out. I have never tried it so I don't know how well it works.

#87 ·
Forwarded e-mail from the owner to a VGSR friend:
Hi everyone,
I just spoke to Sue H. and she would prefer that we not come out "in
search" of Tundie at present given the message below. However, since I know we
have several volunteers who live in the Reston area, or might be out in the
area in your travels today, please keep your eyes open in the areas of
Golf Course Dr; Colts Neck Dr; and over at the Golf Course (Reston National)
and any area surrounding the golf course. Sue's cell # is 703 568-5879 if
you should see Tundie.
And let's especially keep this poor baby in our thoughts, wishes, hopes and
prayers!
Sue G

Huge setback. Animal Control sent a police car out because they don't
have a van available and a cop just chased him, screaming and yelling through
the woods. I am so sick I could throw up. Tundie ran off in a dead panic

We have to hope that he setles down and heads back but I am not at all
sure he will. I am holding my head above water but it is getting hard to keep
going like this.
S.

These are my thoughts:
I hope I'm not speaking out of line here, but I think Tundie needs
searchers more than ever right now.
He was on Frank's (owner's boyfriend) porch last night.
Personally, I think this was a major "Tundie calling for help." He
found his way back, he smelled the different scent pads (Sandy's and
the female-in-heat ones) and he's hypothermic and hungry.
Now, he has been chased away by probably some well meaning but totally
uneducated police officers.
Perhaps he will go back to the "safe" spot by the Herndon Police
Station, who knows. But, at this point, if he is acting disoriented,
etc., he needs dog people looking for him. This could be his last
chance. At least people leaving food stations at his old haunts. Who
cares if he gets full and goes back into hiding. At least the food
might give him enough fuel to make it a few more days.
This is just heartbreaking.
Liz B.

#88 ·
I am far from an expert but someone must tell Sue that she has to contact Animal Control AND the police and let them know what is going on.

Tundie was getting so close to being safe...I am so upset over this...

PLEASE...someone let Sue know that she must let ALL AUTHORITIES know what she is doing here...

I cannot believe this happened...Sadly, Judy

#89 ·
Wahoo - Tundie is HOME

Just received this wonderful message:

Frank caught Tundie at 5 AM today. We knew he was sleeping under the Reston National Club House so he went over and cornered him this morning while he was sleeping. Frank got a couple of nips, but as soon as he got the leash on Tundie, the dog relaxed and jumped right into the truck to ride home. As soon as I walked into the house he threw himself at me and has been welded to my side ever since, mostly curled up next to me on the couch where he is toasty warm and loved. He is very glad to be home!

He is in very good condition, a little thin, not ravenously hungry, and no signs of frostbite or hypothermia. He does have a little limp. We will take him to the vet a little later to have him checked out just to make sure that he has no serious physical issues resulting from his walkabout.

The picture is from the cell phone, not good, but I wanted to share it with all of you who have been so wonderfully supportive through our ordeal. Each and everyone of you is a blessing in our lives and I will never be able to thank you enough!

More will follow when we are all well rested and able to think clearly.

With love and affection,

Sue, Frank, and Tundie

To see the photo of Tundie curled up on the sofa with his happy mom, go to http://www.findthunder.blogspot.com/

#90 ·
Re: Wahoo - Tundie is HOME

I've been following this story and am so happy Tundie is home!!

#94 ·

And may he never wander again........

I missed the whole thread and just now read every single post. Very happy he is home.

#99 ·

What wonderful news!!!

Tundie, may your little feetsies stay planted at home!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.