German Shepherds Forum banner

Herndon VA - Big GSD lost - reward offered

9K views 104 replies 25 participants last post by  Elmo's Mom 
#1 ·
This person was a previous adopter from VGSR and recently adopted a dog from a private individual.

Lea

Thunder (Tundie) my longcoat German Shepherd escaped from the house as the dog walker entered on Monday December 14th. He ran off along Frying Pan Road in Herndon but has also been sighted near the Loudoun County border by the Centennial Golf Course. He is wearing a choke collar and brown leather collar with tags. The name on the tag is Chewy, but he responds best to Tundie. He is "wolf colored" (predominantly black with cream markings,) with a solid black face, stands 30 inches high, weighs 105 pounds, and can easily be taken for a Shiloh Shepherd. He is new to the Herndon area and is very panicked, very lost, and by now very hungry. Tundie is very gentle and not at all aggressive but he will be very wary of strangers. He likes going for rides so you may be able to coax him into an open car by tossing a treat inside and saying "come on Tundie, let's go for a ride," and you may be able to approach him with another dog. Please call your county Animal Control if he runs so they can search for him. And please, please call me immediately if you see him so I can come to get him. My home phone is 703-793-0923; work is 703-446-1666, and cell is 703-568-5879. Tundie is not AKC registered and is only valuable to those who love him. $500 Reward. kshurwitz@fcps.edu<mailto:kshurwitz@fcps.edu>

See less See more
#29 ·
I received this email from Sue earlier today and let her know that I will post it here. There is so much snow outside.

-------------------

We went to the woods where we set up the feeding station before sunrise around 6:30 am this morning. Chewy had found the found and devoured it but was already on the move --probably since early move since there was around three inches of snow recovering the site by the time we got there. We followed his trail through the snow down Herndon Parkway, right on Van Buren cutting through Haley Smith Park left on Alabama and lost it around Patrick. At 9 am we had a sighting on April Street off Summerfield on the other side of the parkway headed in Elden Street. We tried to pick up his trail but there are too many people out and about now to distinguish his tracks. He is covering a lot of ground quickly but he is marking his path -- made it easy to follow him as far as Alabama this morning. We also backtracked him along Sugarland Trail to the Stuart Professional Office Park off Elden Street possibly he has found some place to sleep in that area the past few nights

We did refill the feeding station but I don't feel confident that he is going to make it through the deep snow -- by evening the woods and trail will be shoulder deep for him. The most optimistic news is that he has been forced into a new more public route; he appears to be traveling through neighborhoods along the Herndon Parkway Loop and he is marking the trail. He is fllowing roads but traffic is very light and will become lighter as this weather continues -- and Herndon does keep its main road plowed so he be able to travel freely rather than exhaust himself breaking through verry deep snowsmelf. The bad news is that the snow is wet and accumulating quickly and he will have slow down and seek shelter at some point -- there is lots vailable on his route if he will only avail himself of it --enclosed parking garages, new housing construction with open access, etc.

Possible sites for feeding stations if anyone can get to them: the entrance to Haley Smith Park on Van Buren; in front of the Montessori School on Alabama, in front of the Police Station and National Realty Partners (building next to the police station complex on Herndon Parkway, also backs on the woods and he has been seen roaming there.) I would like to get some food out front to keep him out of the woods if possible - lots of invisible snow covered ravines, water holes, and brush pits he could fall into and not get out of --he's a big guy but not big enough to deal with snow this deep and treacherous.

Anyway, this is the search area to focus on for flyers, businesses and neighborhoods, once the snow lets up.

I'm praying for no school next week so we can cover a lot of territory. More importantly I am praying that he just walks into a business or someone's house and lays down and says "I' ve had enough of this madness, I just want to go home!"

Snowing and blowing like crazy, the storm has set in. I will let you know if I hear of more sitings.

God bless you all for your help and support,

#31 ·
Just found this thread and am sending prayers that Thunder is found, caught and returned home soon!

#32 ·
I received an email from Sue this morning. They have left his crate and food by my office, which is right next door to the police station. It is my hope that when the first person shows up tomorrow morning (likely my boss) he will be in the crate. If I hear anything further, I will post.

#33 ·
I am sure you've already done this but just a thought. Can you put something in the crate with a scent from home on it? Another dog, a towel or a tee shirt..his blanket? I know the weather is terrible there. I am praying that you find him this AM...I check all the time for updates. Judy

#36 ·
Good morning everyone! The search for Tundie is still on. Last
POSSIBLE sighting was near the Vanburen (sp?), Alabama, Eldon streets
area Saturday morning.
The quiet search for this shy guy just isn't working and bodies are
needed. Bring your phones, dogs, smelly, smelly treats, warm coats and
whatever else you can think of.
MEET UP WILL BE AT THE HERNDON MIDDLE SCHOOL PARKING LOT (it's
cleared) AT 12;00 P.M.
Sue H. phone number again in case you don't have it is 703-568-5879.
Dog walking service should be bringing a new batch of flyers to the
middle school. Bring tacks, staple gun whatever you think would work
to tack them to any flat surface.
TUNDIE IS NOT COLD-WEATHER TOLERANT AND WITH THE SNOW PACK AND THE EXPECTED NIGHTLY TEEN TEMPERATURES, THIS BOY NEEDS HELP.
THANKS YOU GUYS, Liz B.

#42 ·
Just got back from tromping around in the over my knees deep snow for the last hour and half. No sign of the poor boy.

They have a humane trap set up in the area where he comes back to eat every night. Hopefully he will take the bait.

Keep your fingers, toes, paws and eyes crossed that tonight is the night!

#46 ·
e-mail from late last night ...

O.K. I just got back from going over to check the trap and saw Sue H
camped out for the evening.

Anyone that can come out and help search tomorrow (unless we get our
miracle tonight) please come over to 423 Carlisle Dr in Herndon, VA tomm morning
around 10 a.m. (right off Elden St across from Comfort Inn).

The trap is on one end of the complex and he was spotted this evening on
the other end so if we can get a posse (so to speak) and work from each end
to the middle we might be able to round him up.

Thanks again for those of you who have already been out searching!

Sue G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.