German Shepherds Forum banner

Zoe - lost WGSD, Charlotte, NC

5K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  shilohsmom 
#1 ·

Zoe is a Noble Shepherd Rescue Dog. Text below is from her foster mom:

"My foster dog, Zoë, has been missing now for 8 hours as of 9 PM on 8/16/09. I have walked and driven around my large neighborhood, submitted a lost dog report on http://www.petharbor.com, went to Animal Control and submitted a lost dog report. I now have flyers and will plaster the neighborhood. She was lost from the 5000 block of Kildare Drive in Charlotte in the Shannon Park neighborhood. This is off The Plaza, Shamrock and Eastway. She is microchipped and was wearing a collar, however, I did not have her tags on her. Her collar is a pink martingale. She is a 2 year old, spayed, White German Shepherd.

My roommate/friend let her out and then a couple of minutes later heard thunder and he went to go let her back in but she was gone. I have had her since December 2008 and she has never jumped the fence nor ever shown any fear of thunder. I am baffled as to what happened but regardless she is gone and I am desperate to get her back.

I am asking these things:

1. Suggestions as to what else I can do.

2. Help combing my neighborhood, including looking into people's yards.

3. Help with paying a reward since as many of you know I have been jobless for 6 months now and don't have the money.

4. Cross post the heck out of this to peop le local to Charlotte in and out of rescue. "

Please contact Alex qwith any information:
Alex Strain

alexstrain77@aol.com

http://www.blossomhouse.blogspot.com

(571) 242-5694

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you Dresden....please forward to everyone!!!

We are hoping that Zoe found a friendly neighbor and was with them last night and they are just waiting for the vets to open up to go have her scanned this morning and then we will get the call...all fingers and paws crossed that its something simple and easy like that!

Alex has been going non stop putting up flyers, driving around and sending out alerts, and calling AC's in the area....I know she is just beside herself with worry! Hugs to you Alex!

#6 ·
We have had several sightings and she seems to be staying in a particular neighborhood but none of the volunteers actually looking for her have seen her.

Please continue to pray that Zoe stays safe and is caught soon!

#8 ·
If there is anyone in the Charlotte area we could use some help with driving around in the neighborhoods she has been spotted in, we are pretty short volunteers in the area and many of us can't make it until the weekend up there due to work....
We would REALLY like to find her before then!!!!

Please contact Alex at (571) 242-5694 if you or anyone you know can help!

#9 ·
I so wish we were closer. Now that our Zoe is home my heart just aches for anyone going through what the last 10 days have been for us. Is there any chance of getting a humane trap? Our Zoe was in the trap within an hour of it being set, but we had really solid sightings of her in that one backyard.

We worked with a tracker and she was relentless with us about telling EVERYONE we saw. We stopped posting fliers and went door-to-door instead and widened the area everytime we went out. In the end, that's how we got the phone calls that led us to her - she had been seen in one neighborhood for several days before moving a few streets over. The tracker also said that it is not unusual for a missing dog to go "off the radar" for a few days and then pop up again.

Other things I did were:

1. File a report with our township police
2. Bring a flier to the SPCAs within a 50 mile area, walk through the local SPCAs daily (and other folks were checking the further out ones)
3. Posted her on the K9amber alert on Yahoo
4. Posted on Craigslist
5. Bring fliers to all the vets I could find in the area
6. Notify the microchip company
7. Give a flier to the local pizza places that deliver in the area where she was seen
8. Tell the mailcarrier in that area - who happens to be a GSD guy

We'll be sending all the good Zoe story vibes down south!! Hoping there will very very soon be a sequel to our happy ending.

#10 ·
I am so glad that you got your Zoe back!!! I was following your other thread!

Don't know if #1 is an option with Charlotte police but I will ask Alex.

#2-done and doing daily. #3 Done along with some other sites too, #4 Done, #5-vets were called and emailed flyers but not sure on going to them personally...Charlotte is a VERY populated area with many vets and we don't have the manpower to visit each vet, #6-Done, #7 & #8-haven't done but that is an AWESOME idea and will do!!

Fingers crossed for a Zoe sequel happy ending! Thanks Jill!!

#11 ·
Just spent about 3 hours in Charlotte driving the area with my son looking for Zoe...no luck. She has had several sightings, even last night....so please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Lisa and Sinclair were up there all day yesterday, and several hours today....

#13 ·
Keeping you guys in my prayers!!

#14 ·
Keeping fingers crossed that Zoe if found soon. Prayers and positive vibes heading that way. At least the recent sightings are good news that she is still ok and in the area. Hopefully she can be caught and returned to her home very soon...she must be terrified.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the prayers and positive thoughts guys....still no Zoe, went up to Charlotte after work Monday to help and although there were some sightings in Alex's neighborhood...Alex nor I saw her

Lisa and I were there all day Saturday to help Alex until too dark to look, and were able to talk to lots of people who had seen her, she seems to be staying in the area, the neighborhoods are connected by RR tracks which she seems to be travelling, we walked the tracks and could see how she would easily be popping up in all the spots where people have seen her. Unfortunately most people didn't know she was lost, hadn't seen the flyers so didn't know to call
We blanketed the area with flyers again, reposted ones that came off, handed to people personally and stopped every police car and K9 unit we saw, gave to cabbies, the mail carrier, even the homeless people and prostitutes

Sunday was encouraging because people we talked to seemed to remember us, several said they've seen the flyers and knew about her, heard of a few more sightings...but again never saw her ourselves. THANK you Sue for coming out to help and for your wonderful son who CHOSE to give up going to the movies to help look for Zoe, he is a special boy!!!

We have our fingers crossed for today, one of our other foster homes is driving down to help and Alex has heard from another rescuer in the area willing to help...we are SOOO thankful for anyone who can come down and drive around and look, its so frustrating that she is in the area, people have seen her and we still can't spot her!

Anyone in the Charlotte area or nearby willing to drive over and help in the search....please email us at info@nobleshepherdrescue.com

Everyone....we appreciate all the thoughts and prayers!!!

#18 ·
It gives me goosebumps to read this - so so much like our experience with our Zoe. I kept saying that if I could just see her then it would make all the difference. We got the phone calls and people saying they saw her everyday and we never saw her.

I apologize if you've already answered this, but can you get a humane trap?

I wish I was closer. Is there anything I can do from a distance (aside from thinking about happy Zoe endings!)?

#19 ·
Thanks Jill, we were trying to get a plan together to do the humane trap but were contacted yesterday by the lead investigator with the Charlotte Police and Animal Control Depts. today and they have offered to assist us in our search for Zoe. (I guess all the K9 units and police cars we have been flagging down, stopping and handing out flyers to have decided we mean business
) At this time, we’re going to hold off on the trap and see if they have any luck. They expressed the same concern we were having in trying to determine <u>where</u> to put the trap, the sightings are all over the place, and some areas aren't very safe to have the trap....

We are very happy they are involved! They will be checking the areas that we couldn’t ‘legally’ like backyards, fenced in areas, etc. so we am very excited about that prospect!

Deva, we have been going back and forth about the feeding prospect, I keep getting different advice on that....do we feed to keep her in the area or not to hope that hunger is a motivater for coming home and/or for approaching someone with bait treats?? I left my bait (hotdogs) at the last good place she was seen before I left Monday night just in case though...the thought of her being hungry and scared out there is almost more than I can bear.
At least there are several good creeks in the neighborhood so I think her water source is reliable!

#20 ·
Originally Posted By: AvamomThanks Jill, we were trying to get a plan together to do the humane trap but were contacted yesterday by the lead investigator with the Charlotte Police and Animal Control Depts. today and they have offered to assist us in our search for Zoe. (I guess all the K9 units and police cars we have been flagging down, stopping and handing out flyers to have decided we mean business
) At this time, we’re going to hold off on the trap and see if they have any luck. They expressed the same concern we were having in trying to determine <u>where</u> to put the trap, the sightings are all over the place, and some areas aren't very safe to have the trap....

We are very happy they are involved! They will be checking the areas that we couldn’t ‘legally’ like backyards, fenced in areas, etc. so we am very excited about that prospect!
Excellent news!

#22 ·
Just wanted to let you know she is in my thoughts and prayers and I"m hoping you'll have her with you soon.

#23 ·
I agree - really good news to have the police involved. Our "pay-off" tip for Zoe the Northern Gypsy came from someone who worked for the police department and lived on a street where she was being seen. From all the calls into the police department she was able to help us narrow down the area to walk and hand out fliers.

We went back and forth on the trap too and didn't put it out until we had many solid sightings within the same few backyards. Maybe the Southern Gypsy will decide she would like to take a ride in the nice police cruiser with the cute officer.

I know how stressful all this is, hang in there!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.