Zoe, 3-yr.-old female, Ardsley PA

5K views 54 replies 20 participants last post by  jacksonpuppers 
#1 ·
PERMISSION GIVEN TO CROSSPOST:
contact Jill 267-252-4243
Posted by: "Jackie Moore" sadiessong@mindspring.com sadiessong23
Date: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:51 am ((PDT))

Zoe
3 year old female German Shepherd Dog (sable coloring)
Is NOT wearing a collar, but is current on all shots
Last seen Sunday, 8/9 along Tyson Avenue between Bradfield and Easton Roads.
contact Jill 267-252-4243

Aloha,
Jackie Moore
sadiessong@mindspring.com
http://www.brooklinelabrescue.org
area 4 volunteer

Photo here: http://tinyurl.com/m928rp

See less See more
#27 ·
Thanks - it has been a very hard week for us all. Her old family does know and we try to keep them updated, unfortunately there hasn't been anything new now for several days.

We are working with someone who is involved in tracking and has been helping search in Bucks County for another lost dog. She helps keep me level-headed and said that it is not unusual for a missing dog to go unsighted for a while and then pop back up. I'm ready for the "pop"! I said to a friend that I hope Zoe is taking advantage of the spillway, creek, and ponds back in the cemetery to stay cool in this heat. Take a swim and walk to the SPCA, please Zoe!

#29 ·
We worked with Laura Totis (you can google her name) and her dog tracking dog trying to find a dog that bolted 2 hours after adoption. He took off along the road and tried to track my car (he was very attached to me, a Philly boy). Anyway, Laura is great to work with and was also very reasonable regarding the charges because he was a rescue dog. She was out with us much of the nigt in rain and cold. She also travels to look for lost pets. It might be a good idea to contact her.

#31 ·
So, finally some positive news. After almost 5 days with no news, no phone calls . . . we got a Zoe call last night. She is still in the area and has actually crossed over from where she had been to now being about 2 streets away from home and even closer to the SPCA. She's been seen on the streets that lead to the local Burger King and Dairy Queen (ahhhh, she is my girl). We will struggle through the work day until we can get home and walk through the area this evening.

The woman who called last night works at our township police department and saw the report we made and will call when she sees her again. She's been trying to coax Zoe to her with treats, but no luck yet.

Rebel - thanks for the information about the tracker. We are already working with a tracking team, but I'll file Laura's name away with my rescue resources. Hopefully Zoe will be home soon and we won't ever have need personally though!

#33 ·
Fingers and paws all crossed here and many prayers being said!

#36 ·
Not the best possible news, but good news. We actually saw Zoe for ourselves tonight. We got a phone call last night that she was being seen in a different area and we went out tonight to go door-to-door with our fliers. We were at the end of the first block and a man chases us down and says that Zoe has been in their yard every day. She's been peeking in their windows (that breaks my heart) and they've put out water but she bolts if they open the door.

So we raced home and got the trap and set it up in their backyard. (Hooray for feeding raw and having really stinky things in the house). We walked back out to the front of the house and there she was at the end of the street. I called her and she came running, but when she got about 20 feet away she stopped. It was like she wanted to come, but was just too scared. Of course it seemed like every person on the block came out at that point to see what was happening and were calling to her which only made it worse. Eventually we were able to let them know how shy she is and they backed off - the HUGE thunderstorm that kicked up also helped with that.

I open our back hatch and then just sat down in the yard where she's been coming and tried not to look at her. She got within about 10 feet, but just couldn't come closer. At one point she went into the backyard and I followed her - of course she popped out around the other side and my BF said she went right to sniff where I had been sitting. We stayed until it was too dark to see her, but maybe she'll be hungry enough to go in the trap. I even called the prior owner and asked her to call my voicemail and leave a message calling Zoe's name - longshot, but I'm trying everything I can think of.

Ahhhhhh! It was so terrible when I hadn't seen her, it was wonderful to see her, but so frustrating that she still isn't home. On a positive note, she seems to have lost most of the chubbiness she was carrying and looks even more beautiful!

#37 ·
Oh my gosh, my heart was pounding just ready this. So close... I know with a lot of patience, you're going to succeed. I think you're doing everything right, and it WILL pay off. She wants to come. I hope the trap works!

I knew someone in Arizona trying to catch a semi-feral dog. For weeks and weeks she just went out there and sat, not looking at her, and tossing good things to eat. It paid off, because eventually the dog came to her and is now a member of their family.

#39 ·
SHE IS HOME!! Zoe, 3-yr.-old female, Ardsley PA

After it got to dark last night we headed home and within an hour the folks at the house where we had the trap called to say that Zoe was in the trap. I'm sure I was the sight in my polka-dot nightgown and red Mickey Mouse crocs, but we raced over to their house and there she was.

Of course it couldn't be quite that easy.

I had to crawl into the trap to get near her and could just slip a looped leash over her head. I finally lassoed her and coaxed her out - only to have her buck and pull and slip away again. My heart has never fallen so hard.

We decided to go back home and get more food and pray that she could be tricked twice by the trap. As I was standing next to the car unloading my pockets, I realize that she's standing at the back of the car watching me. I knew I couldn't get to the hatch without her spooking so I opened the side door - and she promptly trotted around to the other side of the car. So . . . (gotta try anything now, right?) I asked my BF, in the driver's seat, if he could reach around and open the other back door. Little black nose pokes in, shiny brown eyes peer in, radar dish ears and slick sable head. Suddenly she climbs into the car. He holds her by the ruff, I do a reverse chinese firedrill and race around the car closes the doors and SHE'S IN THE CAR!

We didn't call anyone except my best friend until we got her back to the house, out of the car, and in the front door and then it was whoops and cheers and happy dancing everywhere! Thank you all so very much for being so supportive over these 10 days. Tonight it's all about getting to know one another, enjoying being at home, ordering a new tag, and researching a new collar!

#43 ·
Re: SHE IS HOME!! Zoe, 3-yr.-old female, Ardsley PA

Jill I am soooooo happy for you!!! We got an email from our group letting us know the great news. I had contacted everyone I knew out in your area and asked them to contact everyone they knew to be on the look out for Zoe. I was on the phone with S&R last night and was going to email you this morning about what she said.
Isn't great to know so many people cared!!!!!

#44 ·

OH HOW WONDERFUL!!!

Sounds like the poor baby didn't want to be on her own...she was scared......and desperate to be with someone

#45 ·

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! She really wanted to come to you, didn't she! I'm so glad she decided to trust you and get in the car.

#46 ·
Re: SHE IS HOME!! Zoe, 3-yr.-old female, Ardsley P

I checked this the thread first thing this morning because I was really hoping for good news, and I wasn't disappointed! I am SOOOOO happy to hear this! I have been reading about so many heartbreaking stories and sad endings lately for so many GSDs the past couple couple of weeks. It's wonderful to hear that this sad story had a happy ending.

You must have been so upset and disheartened when she slipped away that last time. But she somehow she knew that it would be OK to get in the car with you. Be sure and get a martingale collar before you take her out anywhere. They are specially made so that dogs can't slip out of them. I always put one on Heidi when take her out on leash when we're traveling just to be on the safe side.

http://www.collargirl.com/how_martingale_work.htm

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3189023

I'm so happy for her, you and your husband, and everyone else involved!

P.S. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see some pictures of her!

#47 ·

Yes - definitely more pictures!!

I'm with Karin - martingale collars are the best. I use one similar to this when we're training. It gets Sammy's attention a little better than the all nylon ones.

When I do transports, I always use one because there is no way they can get out of them.

#51 ·

Thanks all! I have never loved my neighborhood more and could never say thank you enough to everyone here and in our local area that helped us get this little gypsy home safely. She is still getting used to all the hub-bub here (we also have an intact male that we are fostering who thinks she's wayyyy too cute), but is giving kisses and just wants to come back inside after a walk.

I've ordered her new county license, a new ID tag, changed her microchip information, and we'll be shopping for a new collar tonight. In the meantime I'm using a prong and harness with a leash on both. We're getting some flowers and a little gift to thank the folks who let us put the trap at their house and the woman who has been out everyday with us walking the neighborhood looking for Zoe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.