German Shepherds Forum banner

Hazleton, PA GSD capture in progress

4K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Gigi 
#1 ·
Attention Hazleton, PA!!

The local dog warden and some neighbors are in the progress of capturing a GSD with a red collar.

If you are in the Hazleton area, be on the lookout for a GSD with a red collar.

Let's get this guy home!!

#4 ·
We are going to call today to see if they have made any progress... Neighbors have been feeding him but when people try to go near him, he runs back into the woods... Dog Warden is trying to trap him... It may be Vinnie but I'm trying not to get my hopes up... I'm just happy to find someone's GSD... We hope it's either Vinnie or Bear (a rescue that escaped from archbald)... As soon as we know more, I'll update everyone... Fingers crossed

#7 ·
Jenna - I'm a GSD rescuer from Archbald...can you give me details on the dog that escaped there?

#8 ·
Oh boy... did I get it wrong...

Bear is a GSD from Archbald who jumped through a window! He's been gone about as long as Vinnie... and yes, he was wearing a leather collar

There was a rescue that escaped but that wasn't from Archbald

Sorry for the mix up

#9 ·
The Hazleton boy is still trying to be captured... he's hanging out near the Water Authority and 20th Street... HOWEVER, we recently determined that this is NOT Vinnie....
Saturday night a gentleman on Cortez Rd called and said that a German Shepherd (fitting Vin's description) has been coming by to visit his Golden Retriever's kennels daily for a week to eat... So my good boy has stayed close to home!! He said whenever he goes out to try and coax him that he runs back into the woods and that he is looking skinny... Sean and I want to run trails of doggie bones down the road and lead to our house
We are going out to flyer the area again right now... Keep those fingers crossed, 6 weeks gone today and we haven't given up... We're gonna bring him home one day, hopefully soon!
Thanks for being here everyone, supporting, and being a listening ear

#13 ·
Get blankets or towels with your smell on them and take there. If he will allow you to put the stuff in one of the kennels maybe Vinnie would smell you on them and go in. Anything is worth a try, but definitely something with your smell on it.

#14 ·
I'm going to try sitting out there early in the AM... that's when he is seen most times... I'll lay out his blanket and bring food, water, and a toy... We aren't sure if he would come right to us since it's been so long and he isn't seen during busy times of the day... I'm hoping he will but if not, it might build some trust with him after a time or two...

We are looking into the humane traps... our only hesitation is that we are not sure he will go in... he's never been crate trained and wouldn't even go in his dog house... BUT he's so hungry, he might creep in... so we are working on that

We also have had contact with a German Shepherd rescue team that will sniff out where Vinnie hangs out the most... we have to call and see when they are available, and how much that will cost... Does anyone know the going rates on that? God, probably a fortune

#15 ·
The very best of luck getting sweet Vinnie home.

#17 ·
I just responded to your e-mail

It seems that he is scared off by people right now but he is not scared of other dogs. He's been seen trying to play with dogs that were chained up or in fencing. Once a person comes out, he runs into the woods. He is not hanging out near the road, I've been ALL UP AND DOWN the road at ALL hours of the day.
Oh, I forgot to mention this in the e-mail.... He is most often seem in the early morning. The horse farm guy was seening him at 4am and the guy with golden retrievers (most recent) has seen him at 8am.

#18 ·
Can you camp out there on his property?

Could you set a humane trap for him with food in it and stay nearby? Oops, I apologize for not reading the middle part of this thread.

He'll remember you. My 14yo remembers people she hasn't seen in YEARS.

#19 ·
Funny thing... I asked the guy what his address was and he wouldn't just tell me the address number, he would give me "where-a-abouts" directions. In the same conversation, I asked if he would mind me sitting near the kennels/wooded are to try and lure Vinnie. He never gave me permission but he never said no either. Sean said his conversation with him went the same way. Each time we was trying to send us to other "possible" leads (ie this lady takes in strays, that guy had my dog once).
I'm sure he will remember us as well, I'm just not convinced he will come running to us... as wonderful as an image that is in my mind!

I was just put in contact with a gentleman in PA who I have e-mailed. His website is http://www.detectapetusa.com and his success list is fairly impressive. Dogs found after 6 months!! Oh yeah, I e-mailed him right quick.
Thank you to everyone who checks this thread and offers kind words and suggestions. It really means alot to me and my boyfriend to know that we have support behind us and people that understand. I wish many healthy, happy years with your four-legged family members. May you NEVER have to experience this pain. A suggestion I would like to make, sitting on this end....
GPS YOUR PET!! #1 tracking chip or #2 GPS for the collar

#21 ·
Update on Vinnie:
Last seen at Cortez Road and Benjamin in Lake Ariel, PA.

We spoke with the top dog detective who gave us some tips and pointers.

We have been speaking with another dog detecive, Chip, who has been great with capturing dogs who are lost in the woods.

We laid track with Vinnie's pit bull friend, Laslow, in the middle of Cortez to hopefully keep him from heading to far towards Mt. Cobb.

If you know anyone in that area, please tell them while they are out enjoying the beautiful weather, watch for Vinnie.
If you are bar-b-queing in the area, be on the look out for Vinnie.
If you have dogs and are in that area, be on the look out for Vinnie.

We are offering $1,000 for the information that brings Vinnie home.

#25 ·
Thank you for the contact! We had a lady that was connected to a search organization but they got overloaded with cases and we haven't heard from them... As far fetched as it sounds, I have heard success stories... I'll try anything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.