German Shepherds Forum banner

NE Pa Vinnie Male GSD LOST

15K views 141 replies 30 participants last post by  staxi2 
#1 ·

Date: Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 10:13 AM
Subject:
To: Jenna Wayne <jw1704@gmail.com>

Please help find our missing child.
He has been missing since February 15th, 2009.
He was last seen off of Cortez Road in Lake Ariel, Wayne County.
He was last wearing his red collar.
He is microchipped.
We are offering a $500 reward for his return home.
Please forward this to EVERYONE in your address book.
Even if you don't think you would ever see him in a million years.
We had a lady call us and say he couldn't believe she needed our number. She said that she never thought she would have seen this dog that was missing. But she did.
Thank you for your help,
Jenna and Sean

See less See more
#78 ·
I would go right up to their door, knock on it and talk to them.

#80 ·
True story....my grandparents lived right up the hill from us growing up. One day in my early teens, walking home, I was confronted by a HUGE all black shepherd. I had grown up around shep's, was accustomed to them, but knew they could be defensive..and he was..well...huge!

Turns out he was the biggest teddy bear. He came home with me. Stayed a few weeks, then disappeared. I was so sad, not knowing what happened to him. Then, a week later, he reappeared. This cycle went on for nearly a year.

Finally, one day, he came trotting up to the door with a note on his collar. "The dogs name is LUGER. He has evidentally found a second family that takes very good care of him indeed, and where he is well fed and groomed. Please call his first family at xxx-xxxx"

They offered to give him to us (purebred, german lines), tried to keep him fenced in, nothing worked. He wanted both families till he was too old to make the trip back and forth.

Perhaps this is someone unfamiliar with microchipping? Maybe they think they're doing a good deed. If this dog looks well taken care of...well...most 'animal people' are sympathetic to others. Couldn't hurt?

Best of luck to you in finding your big guy.

#81 ·
I'm at the point now where I would go up and ask someone who has a GSD like Vinnie. I guess I failed to update but we have no idea about the couple fixing up that one house. We only ever had that one call from nieghbors and have not been able to reach them since. I've been thinking about running another round of flyers in mailboxes with a different picture, just to let people know he IS still missing and we ARE still looking. Sean doesn't want to do it again because of all the calls (even people just saying they will look) and the heartache of failed leads. But I hate this sit and wait thing. If we run another stack, it will probably have my number on it and it's long distance, which could attract serious sightings only or deter people from calling at all. Advice?

#82 ·
Originally Posted By: SylvieUSTrue story....my grandparents lived right up the hill from us growing up. One day in my early teens, walking home, I was confronted by a HUGE all black shepherd. I had grown up around shep's, was accustomed to them, but knew they could be defensive..and he was..well...huge!

Turns out he was the biggest teddy bear. He came home with me. Stayed a few weeks, then disappeared. I was so sad, not knowing what happened to him. Then, a week later, he reappeared. This cycle went on for nearly a year.

Finally, one day, he came trotting up to the door with a note on his collar. "The dogs name is LUGER. He has evidentally found a second family that takes very good care of him indeed, and where he is well fed and groomed. Please call his first family at xxx-xxxx"

They offered to give him to us (purebred, german lines), tried to keep him fenced in, nothing worked. He wanted both families till he was too old to make the trip back and forth.

Perhaps this is someone unfamiliar with microchipping? Maybe they think they're doing a good deed. If this dog looks well taken care of...well...most 'animal people' are sympathetic to others. Couldn't hurt?

Best of luck to you in finding your big guy.
That's cool.My cat tried that here.One of the kids on the bus asked my kids if we had a cat that looked like such and such she said yes.Well the cat kept going to this one house at the end of our road and would stay a few days then come home then repeat.After the 3rd or 4th time of picking her up or them dropping her off she gave up and stayed with us.

#84 ·
Thanks for making me feel less crazy, China

We still have Vinnie's toys in his toy box and keep the cover on it so he'll have his toys when he comes back. Gigi doesn't even bother with the box. Her toys are right next to the box.
She does a good job of giving me someone to care for and love on but does not come close to taking away any pain of missing him

#85 ·
How about another stack of flyers with your phone and an email on them? Almost everyone has internet access these days. Maybe they'll even send a pic
Make sure to put looooots of them up near that house!

Best of luck,
Sylvie

#87 ·
I would too.
Did that once...when my Siamese slipped out the door at my parents house. Was driving to work one day and spotted a Siamese kitty sitting in someone's window (miles away)...stopped the car, knocked on the door and inquired about their cat. Wasn't mine...but at least I knew...I had to try. I just explained that I had lost my cat...saw theirs in their window and thought maybe they had found mine.

#88 ·
Originally Posted By: SylvieUSHow about another stack of flyers with your phone and an email on them? Almost everyone has internet access these days. Maybe they'll even send a pic
Make sure to put looooots of them up near that house!

Best of luck,
Sylvie
Maybe you could use the flyers and set up a small (free) website with info on it. Have people respond to an email address set up only for locating Vinnie. That way people would not have your personal email address or phone number.

#90 ·
Thank you everyone... I think I will do another stack of flyers and use the website idea. He is posted on several so I could send them to one of those. To help defray the cost and since I won't be putting as much info on them, I could do half sheets.

Did anyone else know that there is pet insurance that you will cover flyer cost if you pet goes missing? Just found that out, wish I would have known that before I spent over $500 in flyers. Vinnie has been more expensive for us with him gone than when he was with us!!
Love our pets

#94 ·
No, he does not have a tattoo... the microchip has not been helpful so far but Hamlin Vet called us a couple weeks ago to ask us if we found him yet... they said they have been scanning all GSD that come through and will continue untill we have found him or it just begins to be too long (which I feel is approaching)... Several years ago, we have had another positive result with the microchip when my bf gave a co-worker a beagle dog... a year later, the guy takes his dog to a vet and they call Sean to ask if this guy is supposed to have the beagle bc the chip was licensed through Sean... so as long as they are scanning there's still a hope

#96 ·
I agree Allie... especially with all the stolen dogs I hear about... and all the people who maybe think they are doing a good thing by taking a "stray" just because he/she doesn't have a collar... they either think they doing a good thing by taking in the dog or thinking that they scored on finding it (finder's keepers)

#97 ·
Is Vinnie a sable? Probably a long shot...but a young male Sable was brought into Lackawanna Co. HS as a stray. Very sweet with some healed injuries to eye and ear.

#99 ·
Is there a picture of this dog in the Lackawanna county humane society? I am not to far from NE PA it is just below Binghamton, and if someone stole Denver there is a small chance he could end up in a shelter further away..... I checked their website and there was no picture of a shepherd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.