German Shepherds Forum banner

Introducing New Puppy to an Older Dog

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PRColeman 
#1 ·
We have a 9 year old male German Shepherd Dog who was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure. We will be picking up a "transition" puppy (10 week old male) from the same breeder this weekend. What is the best method for introducing these two guys? I've read multiple articles and seen videos on different techniques, but wanted to get feedback from people knowledgeable about German Shepherd Dogs. Thank you!

#2 ·
Do it on neutral territory. Is the adult dog dog aggressive? If he has CHF, he might not be in the mood for an excitable puppy bouncing all around him. Have a leash on both dogs so you can control them. I don't know what your adult is like with other dogs, so you might start by introducing them on neutral territory by holding the pup in your arms and letting the adult sniff him while someone else is holding his leash in case he starts to show any aggression. I think you really have to consider having a separate run for the puppy. IMO, a puppy should have a separate run anyway if he is going to be raised with another dog, but in your case, you have a sick adult dog, and as I said, it might be too much for him to deal with an excitable puppy who wants to play all the time.

#3 ·
Hi there! I am so sorry to here about your GSD. I know how that feels. I just lost my 8 year old GSD male in May to Lymphoma. How is your current GSD with other dogs and how is he feeling right now? I have always found it easier to have them meet on neutral territory. So I agree with the other poster on that. As far as how your current GSD is feeling health wise to meet a new pup...is totally up to you....you know your dog better than anyone else. I hope everything works out for you...and enjoy your new pup. Also remember to really spoil your current dog and enjoy each day with him!

#4 ·
The introduction of the puppy (Kody) to the older dog (Ruger) went well, better than expected. Ruger is responding well to his medication, and we are hoping that he beats the odds as far as his prognosis (6-12 months left to live). He is getting all of the love and care that he needs and deserves. Next step is puppy lessons for Kody. Having a "transition" puppy will definitely make a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.