German Shepherds Forum banner

He's finally here! Say hello to Brax

6K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  thegooseman90 
#1 ·
Here he is. 8 weeks old and home for the first day. He's out of one of malinda weberhaus stud dogs, Iwan vom poppitz, and a dam from Rodina straze - Chira derik. I'm really excited to have this little guy home and so far he's been great. No accidents and he learns really quick. Only negative is he HATES his crate lol but with time I know he'll come around.

Attachments

See less See more
#15 ·
Carm - I remember talking to you about this in another thread and looking up bad derik really got me excited about the dams side of the pedigree. Prior to that the only dog I even recognized on there was Tom z ps. He should be a fun pup to work with for sure.

Squerly - my OCD wife is gonna love that lol one of his favorite things is to dig his paws and nose into the dirt right before coming in. I guess it's fun for him but not so good for keeping those floors clean

#18 · (Edited)
Gorgeous looking masculine pup. If your goal is to crate train him, don't let him go into a deep sleep outside the crate. What worked for us so far is when a pup is really tired, I put him in the crate on a soft blanket, leave the door open and stay with him until he sleeps. Once he is sound asleep, I close the crate and leave him alone but keep an eye on him. As soon as he wakes up but before he has had a chance to realize that he has been "imprisoned" and starts crying bloody murder, I take him out with a neutral attitude and it is potty time outside and everything starts all over again. This only takes a few days before they accept the crate.
At night for the first three nights, the new pup sleeps with me in a sleeping bag and after the third night in the crate (next to my bed), that he has been used to during day light.

#19 ·
Thanks! And thanks for the crate advice. He's actually settled into the crate pretty well now. He'll still whine for a few mins out of protest but he's quick to go in it when asked and he settles down after about 5 mins. The only time he'll really raise he** in there is when he needs to go to the bathroom. Which is usually around 2am(of course) and then he comes out and heads straight to the back door. I had prepared for the worst with all of his issues but I've gotten pretty lucky and been really impressed with how easy this dog has been to work with.

#21 ·
We're at 4 months now! Well a little over I guess. He's growing like a weed so I figured nows a good time to show off some new pics. At his 16 week vet visit he was 37 lbs and I measured him at over 19" today. Oh and we're doing the ear dance thanks to teething. What do you guys think?

Attachments

#24 ·
7 month update

I took him out to my moms for a little bit of fun, training with distractions (chickens) and some tracking work. He did pretty good with all of it but he's a very excitable young man still. We had a trip to the vet Friday and he's up to a lean 71 lbs. Only a 9 lb increase this month so maybe switching him to adult food was good idea. I know some people will think he's too skinny but I think he's ideal. The vet, breeder, and trainer all think he's in great shape too.

#31 ·
thank you!

Lovely dog
thank you!

Nice looking pup, also nice sounding pup....congrats! He looks to be perfect weight to me .
Thanks cliff! It takes some effort but I take pride in his condition and it's nice to hear positive feedback. He's got a long ways to go maturity wise but he's shaping up nicely. Time will tell but I've been happy so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.