German Shepherds Forum banner

Howdy!

742 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  lalabug 
#1 ·
Hello everyone been lurking for awhile here...... Finally decided to register and participate a little. So some info about myself
Male!
37 years old
Owns home on 1.5 acres down dirt road on an island in the south carolina lowcountry.
Obviously my family had gsds when i was growing up.
Last 2 dogs were bullmastiffs
Currently have a flock of 24 chickens, a 7 year old lab( more my wifes dog ) 2 bottle fed nigerian dwarf goats ( we love the heck out of them, they are pets, and the love of my wifes life! ) and a new 11 week old gs puppy.
I will mostly be posting from mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors!
Anyhow I'm not old but grew up kind of out in the country and I guess you could say i was raised a little old school lol.
I've been out of the gsd world for the past 17 years..... So now back into the fray!

#5 ·
I will definately post pics once I figure out how to operate on the forum! Im not * super* computer literate lol. Carmspac, its nice to hear from you! Have read many of ur posts here, as well as the others. I just posted another thread, basically just asking for info on the current state of the gsd world.... Things seem so different now! I hope it doesnt come across as snarky, i dont mean it that way! I just got really frustrated when searching for a new puppy..... The dogs we were seeing just seemed so different from the past..... Confidence, and fearlessness seemed to be in such short supply..... Attempting to attach pics of general beauregard( bowie for short) sorry if I do it wrong!

Attachments

#6 ·
Oh my gosh, what a cutie!!!! Also, I was going to name my pup Beauregard up until about two weeks ago when I decided on Wolfram instead.

I just went through the search process and it's kind of crazy out there. I have a 9 year old WL girl who is very similar to what you describe of the older GSDs.

But this time around I wanted a WGSL and finding one of those with a solid temperment, drive and confidence was a big search.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#8 ·
greetings right back at you !

you said "The dogs we were seeing just seemed so different from the past..... Confidence, and fearlessness seemed to be in such short supply"

oh my yes . Why do you think I asked .

that boldness is gone .

beau regard - a beautiful sight and so is your gorgeous pup.
bowie -- love the name , loved the ever growing artist , every time you looked he had mastered something else - I like that trait -- David Bowie

I hope this defines your dog - both beauregard and bowie

look forward to lots of good forum conversations.

#9 ·
Kimbale:
It was a tough search... We wanted a sort of all purpose dog that had to fit a pretty specific set of standards. We looked at several different breeds, but none seemed to fit exactly what we wanted and really needed for our lifestyle. So I decided to go back to what I knew, the gsd. An actual working line wasnt want we wanted this time around for a couple of reasons..... I love them just not a proper fit at this time....then it was a looooong search for just the right dogs to produce the puppy!
Well Beauregard was sort of a comprimise between my wife and I. I get to say bowie is short for beauregard and she gets to say its short for david bowie lol. She thinks his poofy hair is david bowie hair!

#10 ·
lol
"Well Beauregard was sort of a comprimise between my wife and I. I get to say bowie is short for beauregard and she gets to say its short for david bowie lol. She thinks his poofy hair is david bowie hair!"

who cares ? you're both right ! how often does that happen.

care to share your pups background?

#11 ·
Carmspac: on bowies background
I'm afraid you wont approve! First I'll say that I had a specific picture of what I wanted in my head. He is not from a breeder that most would approve of. He does have akc papers, however I wouldnt strictly call him a gsd in the strictest sense....she doesnt prove her dogs, doesnt advertise except by word of mouth etc. He is of german descent, all her dogs are sable. Most are longcoats. I wont name her, as I dont believe its my place. I will say that we spent alot of time with her dogs before deciding on her. With our other animals and general lifestyle we had go be pretty specific. I was looking for the right dog, not even specifically the right breed per se. I'll say that her dogs the first time we went to her home, she had five standing next to her when we pulled up. They barked and raised cain, but none approached the car. They got quiet when we got out. They did not approach just stayed by her side. They were neutral in behaviour towards us. After awhile the big male, my puppies father came up and allowed me to pet him briefly then went about his business. She could bounce a ball in front of her dogs, they all watched, but none were jumping out of their skin to get it. All of them would fetch on command. She has a farm, the big male followed us around as we toured the property. Anywhere we stopped to look at things he would lie down and just watch.
Her dogs did prove that they were capable of safely being around livestock. That was a big deal to us.
Bowie now, he is a little devil. Smart as a whip. I know everyone says that about their dog but so far I'm impressed. He learned his basics sit, stay, down, shake in less than one minute per. If you roll a ball he will stalk and then pounce on it, but doesnt stalk the goats at all. Chickens are still a work in progress. He has shown no fear of anything yet. Outgoing as heck, no hesitation to new things. We have to protect him from himself lol! Loud noises, even gunshots dont phase him at all. Gets his attention thats about it. Sticks to me like glue when doing chores in the yard. At night when he hears noises in the woods he will walk a couple feet from me and bark a couple times but doesnt press against me or anything. Fearless little guy. And what really impressed me was the first time I rolled a ball for him he brought it back and dropped it in my lap. Has done so when asked since. He is very energetic and a handful though no doubt! Likes to back talk but overall seems to want to please. I dont know how he measures up against other dogs being bred today but he seems to be right on point with what we wanted. An all purpose dog that can go everywhere with us and will watch out for my yard and animals.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.