German Shepherds Forum banner

Hopefully soon.

635 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  wolfstraum 
#1 ·
I've been lurking on the forum for several weeks now, trying to pick up tips and tricks. I have a deposit on a gsd with a breeder that was highly recommended by a respected poster. I'm super excited and at the same time extremely nervous that I might not get a pup. My deposit is for a female and I am 4th in line so this means there must be a least 4 females in the litter. I definitely want my pup in June as I would like to start crate/potty training her during the summer while at the cottage to not disturb my husbands sleep/work schedule and also I think its much more pleasant to do the potty trips outside during the summer months. Also I have a huge property at the cottage and a lake and I just think it would be great to bond with my puppy with such a nice setting and a very mellow lifestyle. My girls will also be with me during the summer before returning to University and I would love them to bond with her too. I'm very nervous that I won't get a pup because of my number on the reserve list, so not sure what to do.
1. Do I put another deposit with another breeder to be sure I get my spring/summer girl. How do breeders plan for deposits. Do breeders take more deposits than puppies they can deliver.

2. Since I might have to put a second deposit down, can anyone recommend another Ontario breeder (pm me please!!) I'm looking for a medium to low drive dog, I live in the city 8 months out of the year but will be taking her off leash hiking and definitely going to obedience classes but not working the dog. Low to medium drive with a great temperament is my choice. I don't need a massive guard dog and I'm not fussy on colouring. I already have a small breed very old male at home so I do need a low prey drive female.

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
A lot of breeders make you put down a non-refundable deposit. Are you willing to lose that money by putting a deposit down on another litter from another breeder? I know you want a female puppy in June, but that may be hard to accomplish.

I wanted a puppy in April. That may not happen. LOL I found a breeder (Vom Gildaf) and just put a deposit down on a litter that will be bred this month (the female is supposed to go into heat any day). I wanted a male from a specific litter. The breeder already had four deposits for a male. She she made me number five. You think four is bad...lol. However, she put me on a back up litter where I'm number three but that breeding doesn't take place until April.

From what I can tell, most breeders seem to have four spots reserved for males, and four spots reserved for females on each litter. If there isn't enough of a specific sex, they roll your deposit over to the next litter. They also have waiting lists after that in case someone drops out of line or there are 9 males and 0 females. You never know.

I don't know of any breeders in Ontario but I wish you good luck. I hope it works out for you.

#4 ·
put the deposit down on the breeder and the litter that you want and in the meantime start building a bit of a relationship with the breeder so that they get to know you and can make a best-choice in finding the pup that matches your family.

there are lots of people more than willing to take a deposit off your hands --
there are also lots of breeders you don't want to encourage or deal with .

go with ethics, knowledge, responsibility and care . go for quality.

"Do breeders take more deposits than puppies they can deliver."

how can you tell what will happen . If only I could phone in an order for the number and gender of pups that I would like to have delivered , and of course at a "popular" time.

#5 ·
A deposit is a commitment to a breeder. Many breeders do not take deposits until the litter is born. For example, I take names and develop a relationship with potential buyers - and don't accept money until I know how many pups of each sex I have in a litter. Most people do not have a full litter spoken for at time of birth and will have a puppy or two available....to open a dialog with another breeder as a back up with full disclosure might be a way to go....if there is no pup for you in the litter that you have a deposit on, does your agreement say that you have to wait for the next litter or will it be returned???

I had a buyer who has been waiting for over a year for a puppy - either sex, just working potential.....after missing 2 heats with a co-owned female, and then a 3rd because she is just sneaky about being in heat :), I offered to help him get a pup from a friend's litter, the sire being a littermate to the female he wanted a puppy from. Having a deposit on a litter had nothing to do with the situation - the buyer had been waiting for a puppy from a specific female who he met and loved and I did not have a puppy and it worked to refer him to another breeder who had a litter coming from a dog I was comfortable would give him a similar type of puppy - a win win as now I get to see a puppy from my male grow up....

Could he have waited until I had another litter? Maybe - it would only be 4 more months...but he has been patient and really wanted a puppy soon. We communicated and both agreed that he should get the other puppy....all happy with the situation. Boils down to honesty and communication. Open a dialog with a second breeder who will have a litter in the same time frame, and if they are a good breeder, they will probably welcome your honesty.

Good Luck!!

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.