German Shepherds Forum banner

Question

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  CarrieJo 
#1 ·
Hey I have been told at different times to add pumpkin to a dogs food when they are having upset stomach. How much can pumpkin? A spoonful? 1/4 cup? more?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

#4 ·
Long story short I think I got a bad batch of kibble. So I am switching food cold turkey yea I know you shouldn't but when you have 5 dogs throwing up since the new bag was opened I cannot in good faith buy another bag of the same thing so I figure their tummies might not like the switch so adding pumpkin in hopes of keeping them from having problems.

searched on the internet and apparently I am not the only one who recently had trouble with this brand. So much for feeling safe with a brand.

#8 ·
I am trying to head things off at the pass so to speak. Since I don't dare buy another bag to slowly change over. So.... I figured I would add a little pumpkin to the new food to see if it would help the transition

I did call the company. I will click on your link and look at it. Thanks!!!

#9 · (Edited)
Looks like you are not the only one on this site having an issue with Nutro!

lalabug (Quote 1/9/17 ) I have read as many poop threads around here as I can. We are still having issues with Ghost and pudding poop. She has about one formed(but very soft) poop for every 3-4 pudding poops.
*Took her to vet. Fecals at vet were clear, though from what I understand, we need to ask for a more specific test to rule out giardia/coccidia/parasites?
*we tried suspending all treats in case that was culprit - no change
*have not changed food recently
*she eats and drinks well, has plenty of energy, but is "on the thin side" according to vet
I know loose stool is common in some pups, I guess I'm just trying to determine the next best step. http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/680914-battling-pudding-poops-2.html

lalabug (Quote 1/22/17 – 5:32pm) After the last bout with the diarrhea/pudding poops, I felt like the probiotic tablets the vet gave us seemed to really help. We were prescribed Propectalin tablets, about 5 days worth I believe. We are starting to get very soft stools again and occasional diarrhea.

GypsyGhost (Quote 1/22/17 – 5:41pm) Out of curiosity, what are you feeding her?

lalabug (Quote 1/22/17 – 6:36pm) we are currently on Nutro large breed puppy.

Thread location: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/682673-probiotics-question-2.html

Moms:)

#12 ·
@CarrieJo are they doing better? I think we are switching foods after all this. No more Nutro. Honestly the more I think about it I think it may be the culprit in her ear gunk and itchiness here and there.
What are you feeding your dogs now?

Okay I did the cold turkey switch and went to pro plan but I made ONE BIG MISTAKE I got the one with shredded chicken pieces in it. You know what 2 or 3 of the dogs are trying to pick out the shredded pieces first so I bought a bag of Pro Plan Sport (purple trim and black bag) to use next. NO MORE DIFFERENT PIECES!!!!

I remember a time about 15 years or so ago I had bought a pure blooded shelitie (she had the best shiniest thickest coat her whole life through. We kept her on it for the 1st 2 years of her life that was what the breeder was using. (Back in the good old days you know Pro Plan Puppy or Pro Plan Adult none of this crazy choices to drive you nuts)

I have all the dogs on puppy because the dog we took in while a year old is recovering from being on the streets too long and building back up her muscles and some thickness around her top of her spine and top of the back of her legs. (Sorry guys I am not a bone expert don't know the names.)

To be perfectly honest I have heard countless times over the years that Purina Dog Chow was the way to go. Several different veterinarians have told me over the years and the breeder my son bought his border collie was using it as well. Makes me start to think about the Purina Dog Chow Complete once everyone is grown and healthy again. I am beginning to wonder if the high cost food is not worth it if we keep having trouble with it. Why can't some dog food be completely dependable and not buy ANY PRODUCTS, VITAMINS, MINERALS from anywhere else and HUMAN QUALITY. But that doesn't say much they put BHT and BHA in our children's cereal packaging. I called a cereal company once they said it is only in the packaging. So I said SO..... if I take liquid poison and pour it into a plastic bowl let it sit for a while pour it out and rinse it do YOU want to eat cereal out of it? No response.

#15 ·
I posted a different thread about cleaning/wiping the dogs' outer ears and there's plenty of responses including vinegar/water. It's def not mites, I pointed it out to the vet last time and he looked and said it wasn't, just a little extra wax buildup and gunk.

#16 ·
yea I was just referring to the fact I really wanted my vet to check both of my dogs ears not just one. But to be honest Sadie doesn't like anyone and I mean anyone putting anything in her ears.

She looked at me the last time backed herself up against the corner as if she was slightly standing and to say, "Really you think you are going to get away with this? I wonder if I can test her and get away with not getting my ears clean?"

It is the only time when I actually thought she might bite me because she looked at me that way like I was going just way too far. I wasn't about to show her fear though her being a year old when we are taking her in I sure don't want her trying to dominate us because she seems to like to test those waters quite a bit.

#17 ·
You know I am late to reply but I can't believe we hard no problems switching. I did add a little pumpkin the 1st 2 days. A lady at the pet store said to stay with the same amount of protein not sure if that helped or the pumpkin.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

#18 ·
How big is your dog? My dog is 120pds and I give him half a can of yum yum or the same amount of 100% pumpkin, when I first see bad poo. Then the same amount after his dinner. The older he has gotten the less it happens. Who knows what my dog eats when we go to the big field to play ball.

#19 ·
Well let's see there is the 8 pound ball of fluff (I swear she might have 2 pounds of hair!), the 32 pound of short stocky muscle, the 52 pound girl who is still gaining her weight back, and the 44 pound of pure border collie energy that is not mine and the 17 pound that is not mine LOL.

I only claim the 32 and 52 pounders. I had nothing to do with the other residents! Not that I don't still love on them and buy them toys and spoil them anyhow. The 8 pound of fluff is my husband's I do not claim her. Though she loves to try to put her paw on me and claim me! She was running down the street with a pit bull chasing her and jumped into my husband's arms for safety and darn if all the signs and posting in the world no one ever stepped forward to claim her. She was so old when we took her in I can't believe after all these years she is still alive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.