German Shepherds Forum banner

Please Help: Considering GDV Surgery!!

930 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Aly 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am a first time dog owner and I have a beautiful German shepherd puppy named Khaleesi. She is almost 7 months and is getting spayed tomorrow. Last night my vet suggested surgery for GDV/dog bloat.

This would be during her spay appointment. We wanted to ask you guys for some advice.

Should we do the surgery? Or should we not?

All feed back is welcome! Just want the best for my little girl.

#4 ·
It is an excellent time for the surgery and a good preventive measure against GDV which all too often leads to death of our beloved companions-having gone through GDV with my first GS-it is not a experience I would wish to repeat-we were lucky-I was able to get him to the University within minutes of him bloating/torsion for emergency surgery and he survived without complications to live a long healthy life.

#6 ·
My opinion, but 7 months seems fairly young to spay --- unless there are other health considerations involved. Are there? If not, managing a female's cycling isn't all that difficult. Invest in a box or two of generic Depends, some baby wipes and you're good to go. You have to keep an eye on her (for unwanted "dates"), but that too can be managed easily with some forethought and a good fence. As to your question, yes, I'd do a gastoplexy at the same time my female was being spayed (at 18 months to 2 years, one hopes). BUT, I'd also want to know (a) what technique the vet is proposing to do (last time I had this done w/an IW, there were a couple of surgical options), and (b) how many times the vet has done that particular surgery and with what success.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.