German Shepherds Forum banner

New Puppy! Black Forrest

3K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  Pytheis 
#1 ·
Well, it has finally happened. On Tuesday night, I brought home my German shepherd puppy who is destined to be my service dog. He has an unbelievable temperament. Although temperament tests for service dog candidates aren't always accurate, Forrest passed every test PERFECTLY. At 10 weeks old, he fetched a ball and brought it back on the first try (and every time after). He came when called immediately. He lets you pick him up, handle his feet, gently pull on his ears, touch his mouth... He immediately ran toward the sound of a large metal pan hitting the hard floor to investigate. He is a confident, happy puppy.

His full name is Black Forrest, but we are just calling him "Forrest" for short. He is a black&red puppy brought to the United States from Serbia. I have already taken him to a busy store for socialization. We sat outside on a bench, and he watched the carts, people, bikes, cars, and even other dogs rush by. He did very well, and we ended on a positive note before he got too overstimulated. He weighs 21 pounds already! Is that big for a 10 week old male German shepherd? I'm not totally sure, but he seems big for his age to me. I'm so excited!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Size seems fine! And his temperament sounds outstanding and perfect for your goals!

He is a cutie!

Good Luck!

Lee

#9 ·
Thanks, everyone! I'm exhausted, but that just comes with having a puppy. Any tips on biting? He doesn't respond or even care at all when you shriek when he bites. He just keeps going. I've tried giving him a toy whenever he bites something inappropriate, but he usually just goes back to biting whatever he isn't supposed to bite within a few seconds. He's a stubborn little guy sometimes.

#10 ·
Making noise never worked for me. Mine acted like I was a squeaky toy and bit harder ;) I just redirected to a toy, and if he kept it up I'd pop him in his ex-pen to calm down for a few minutes. It comes with the territory, but around the time they get done teething it stops. Just be consistent and avoid confusing matters by using your hands to wrestle with him or grab his muzzle, always use a toy. I had a grooming client ask about ways to stop biting then proceed to grab her pup's muzzle, shake it, and pull her hand away encouraging him to bite. Talk about confusing the poor thing.

Some people take a harsher approach, pinching, squeezing, yelling, collar pops, ect.. but IMO it is a puppy behavior and as long as it isn't being encouraged they will mature out of it. I had family members who were certain I had a viscous puppy on my hands. Nope just a GSD puppy being a puppy. They are called land sharks for good reason, lol. Be patient and consistent and you'll get there. Your pup is use to playing with his littermates not people, so it will take time to teach him how to play with you appropriately.

#13 ·
I'm always afraid to put him in his kennel when he starts biting and won't stop. I don't want him to think going in his kennel is a punishment. He seems to think that biting your arm is a way to greet, but the bruises on my arms say otherwise. :surprise:
Crazy puppy life!

#14 ·
Wow, he does seem huge for 10 weeks.

I just wanted to throw out one caution. 10 week old puppies have an instinct to follow and stick close to who they think plays the role of mom. Keep in mind that he may be great about recall and following you now but at 16 weeks until 24 months? Give or take he will feel more independent and his drives might kick in and his recall deteriorate. I just say don't take it for granted. I knew someone who's 8 week old boxer stayed close, came when called, never left the owners side, so she never leashed her. The handler loved to brag about it. And at 5-6 months old the boxer took off, did not recall and was killed by a car. So this is one of my soapboxes.

Enjoy you pup and the journey.

#19 ·
So I have some new pictures of Forrest. He's such a sweetheart! I'm not sure if there is a rule that says you can't post pictures of yourself (even if you have the dog in the picture too), but if there is such a rule, please let me know! Enjoy his adorable pictures. :grin2:

Attachments

#20 ·
What a beautiful pup. Thanks for posting. No advice on puppies, I avoid puppies (they are SOOO nice in other peoples willing hands).
Yep, you can post pics of you. Maybe you thought not, because some of us are shy and focus on the dog, but 'tis fine, just fine.

#28 ·
Update

Just wanted to update everyone and post some new pictures of Forrest now that he is 6 months old. His training is coming along great, and I couldn't be happier to finally have a German shepherd. He was actually not bad to teach not to bite. He learned bite inhibition very quickly, and he wasn't at all the "land-shark" I (and everyone else) was expecting. Even to this day, he has not chewed or destroyed a single one of my possessions. I've even started leaving him loose when I leave the house. I'm very proud of him!

Attachments

#32 ·
Just wanted to update everyone and post some new pictures of Forrest now that he is 6 months old. His training is coming along great, and I couldn't be happier to finally have a German shepherd. He was actually not bad to teach not to bite. He learned bite inhibition very quickly, and he wasn't at all the "land-shark" I (and everyone else) was expecting. Even to this day, he has not chewed or destroyed a single one of my possessions. I've even started leaving him loose when I leave the house. I'm very proud of him!
Forrest was an adorable puppy and now a handsome young man!

My current Czech puppy and a couple of WGWLs I had in the past never went through the land shark phase. And they never were destructive. Yet their drive was off the charts.

Are you training Forrest on your own or through an organization?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.