German Shepherds Forum banner

Hello from Ohio

726 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ksotto333 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am getting my first German shepherd in the spring so I thought I would join this site to be prepared for what I am getting myself into :laugh2:

A little about myself; I am a stay at home mom with 4 kids ages 21, 16, 12, and almost 2. My family have been involved in 4H for 12 years now, we have also done a little UKC conformation showing with one of our shelties. We have also raised 12 puppies from Pilot Dogs Inc. of Columbus, for those that aren't familiar with them they are a non profit organization that trains guide dogs for the blind, we take a puppy home at 6-8 weeks old do basic obedience and socialization, then return them for formal training at 12 months old.
We have a small zoo of animals, big animal lover here! We currently have 4 shelties, a standard poodle (pilot dog) 3 cats, 2 budgies, a rabbit and some fish.
I grew up with GSD's and raised one for pilot dogs, but this will be the first one that is mine. At this time mom is expected to go into heat Dec/Jan so I still got quite the wait to go.

#6 ·
Welcome from NW Ohio. How wonderful that you get the Pilot dogs off to a great start.

#7 ·
Thanks for the welcome!
@ksotto333 I am also from NW Ohio! I live in the collage town of Tiffin.

I am super excited and cant wait for my puppy! I do know I am getting a female and 99% sure she will be sable. Dad is imported from Slovakia and mom is mainly Czech line, so should be a fun pup LOL! Right now our plans for her is obedience and maybe UKC conformation shows, and just for fun 4H agility and maybe tracking. We kind of got lucky that our head trainer for 4H trains protection dogs, tracking competition obedience, and sled dogs (not that that applies to us)

I am sure I will probably have questions once she gets here, right now I know my biggest challenge is going to be dealing with a toddler and a puppy! My son is pretty good with animals but he is a toddler so... you know how that is. He has been trying to help train the 4 month poodle puppy, it is really cute. He will take a treat and tell Basil to sit, unfortunately though he gives the treat before the dog sits.

#8 ·
Welcome Jessica from NE Ohio. Sounds like you are more than ready for a shepherd. Love pictures here so please post your pack's picture.Love to see everybody animals.

#10 ·
I have friends in the area that are very active in Barn Hunt, Dock Diving and Herding. So you ever get "bored" and are looking for something to do let me know. I'm from Findlay...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.