German Shepherds Forum banner

Yet another Question

688 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  CarrieJo 
#1 ·
Okay here goes another question. I am trying to figure out since my puppy is half German Shepherd and half lab which traits are from whom.

I know this is a German Shepherd forum and most of you have full blooded animals but was hoping maybe you guys could give me insights on normal German Shepherd puppies behaviors because I am beginning to think she has more of the German Shepherd behaviors and I just don't see the lab behaviors or maybe I missing some of the lab behaviors?

Being she doesn't like to run up to strangers and even when she was very little just didn't act like I want love I want love like a normal puppy is that a German shepherd trait or a I was taken from my mom too soon trait? She often will just go off to the side and lay down and look at me like an older dog would from the beginning. Is she just super laid back? I swear I do not see any lab behavior traits in her. My parents and my sister have full blooded labs and they seemed so much more playful and wanting to be around everyone.

Walking around the neighborhood the other day a small black dog came running up barking from the other side of the street out of nowhere. I stopped looked over at my dog and she just sat down and waited for the other owner to run and get his dog.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I just am so shocked how much she acts like a German shepherd being mixed and actually looks like a German shepherd. But I feel like I was robbed of the puppy stage. You know where they just love all on you. Do GSD puppies not that loving at first or is it just something that is a consequence of her being taken from her mom too soon and not being fed. She loves on me now but I had to earn her trust and it took a long time.

#4 ·
Some are and some aren't.Their drives and temperaments vary.Leaving mom too soon sometimes results in lack of communication skills when relating to other dogs.

#5 ·
LOL ... Ironically enough I quite often use "not a lab!" :)

IE kinda goofy and people luving, it sounds like you have a balance not overly friendly and not overly suspicious to be generous as opposed to outright hostile int the home ... I was quite thrilled to get my OS WL GSD to the "Glad to see you when you leavening stage." :)

He seems to be very much like ... "let's think this through??" Welcome aboard. :)

#6 ·
That is just it labs seem to love everyone. Mine sits back and carefully watches everyone to see if she should trust you or not. I think she sized me up for 16 weeks. And when I ask her to do something she gives me a look like okay how long should I make her wait for it? Or if I do this for her she will just ant me to do something else.

The people she really knows she will she will love on but I have yet seen her to allow a stranger pet her.

To top it off she does not seem dog treat motivation.

#7 ·
Well ... yes the "typical PB Lab" does luv everybody ... no effort required! But a lot of unknowing GSD WL newbies get this dogs and that "people luv'ing thing is what they expect and quite often they are in for a big "Surprise!"

I was a American Band Dawg and Boxer guy ... my dogs luv'ed people! My Boxer in particular thought people were the best thing ever!!! I trained "on the lawn" specifically for her becasue withot a hard core inhibition she would happily "drive or walk off with anyone!!" Turns out she was also a great watch dog but that's another story.

But as I said ... "JQP" gets these days and expects them to act like a Lab and when that is not the case "they" have issues?? That really does not seem to be the case with you?? Your are actually "observing" behaviours that did you did not expect and wondering ... what's the deal here?? I'll say congratulations and job well done! :)

So your dog is "highly suspicious of strangers but not out right hostile" ... good enough!! With an intelligent approach ... this is no big deal! My OS WL GSD did/does not give a crap about treats, toys or distractions! Worked fine for me because I don't either.

I showed him what I wanted and that was ... in the face of "triggers" your job is to do nothing!

The foundation for that ... is the first link here:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

"Who petz my puppy or dog" and part two the other thing I stumbled onto by accident is ":The Place Command and Sit on the Dog."

Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

I have "understood" more things about what I did ,since I did those threads and one of them is that, step one "apparently" is your dog has to be able to walk well on a loose leash first! Show them how you expect them to behave in an environment without distractions! I used a "SLL" myself and pretty much never thought about it?? Your dog needs to be able to walk properly on a structured walk ... using a proper tool .. SLL, Prong or E -Collar. And exclusive of E-Collar a proper correction is a slight tug sideways.

They have to understand how they are expected to behave first ... and the rest is easy.

Structured walk defined ... :

I'm a SLL guy myself but numbers would suggest that a "Prong Collar" is a similar tool to use ... but you know whatever works for you is that matters. :)

#8 ·
Thanks I will watch it as soon as I get a chance. I started her on a leash as soon as she was healthy enough to go outside to go to the bathroom. She was way under weight. Then we would walk half the block and slowly worked our way up as she could handle it. Now we can go through the neighbor hood and walk around the duck pond though after 3 times she looks at me "like really can we go home now?"

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.