German Shepherds Forum banner

Hi!

450 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kelbonc 
#1 ·
Hi!
I'm new to the forum and the very happy mum of a 9 mo GSD puppy. She is - naturally - adorable.
We've been having some skin issues - extremely itchy - and we're 3 weeks in on a raw diet. I found this forum after Googling for information on the raw diet - woo hoo! I've already made some mistakes - hello? Liver? I'm talking to you… and we're pretty much starting over with chicken.

I look forward to learning more about - well - everything!
Thanks!

#4 ·
Hi Coco's Mum and Welcome! :greet:

What a cutie!!! :paw:

Most prepared dog foods are chucked full of chemicals and additives. Then there are the toxic effect of vaccinations, and flea/tick topicals. When switched to a raw diet, the immune system is affected and the dog may begin a “healing” as some people call it, or more commonly called a “detox” or “herxing” as their body tries to purge the toxins. Now that you’ve changed to raw, those “toxins” have to somehow escape the body. Dogs could show upsetting signs such as drainage from the ears and/or eyes, vomiting, diarrhea, stool that will smell SO bad it would make the strongest stomach urp! Stool with strange colors, mucousey stool, discharge from the penis or vagina, bad breath, itching….even MORE than they were itching before, licking themselves, and, thru the skin such as open sores, loosing hair, or making them smell like last week’s garbage that’s been rotting out in the sun, so be prepared!

Go easy with the organs (liver) at first.....ease into them with small amounts so as not to get gut upset.

Have heart, hang in there and keep researching the raw diet to be sure it is balanced!

Moms:)

#5 ·
Thank you for the welcoming!

I really wasn't aware of how many chemicals were in the dry kibble we had been buying (and fed to our previous GSDs too!) until looking into the raw diet.

I have been reading (and reading) about it and - ahem - since we've started over at the beginning with just chicken, she really has improved.

My only issue/problem is that 10% organs/offal. Since we had such a mess when I first added the liver (too much? too soon? I dunno), I'm kinda leary of adding it back in or any other organ/offal. Plus I'm not sure what *to* add. I've been reading the thread on this forum for information and I've located a local raw food provider in my city - hopefully between all this info I'll get it sorted… but she may be just muscle meat and bone with a spoonful of ground veg, egg and a spot of pumpkin till I do. I did chop up the liver I had and froze it in teaspoon-sized portions to add back in slowly - I'll probably start that on Sunday.

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.