German Shepherds Forum banner

Hi there!

381 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  OceanMelody 
#1 ·
Hi there! :)

You can call me Melody :) I joined this forum to further my knowledge of German Shepherds and learn to better care for my little (or big) guy, Shaan

Shaan came to me from a bad home. A backyard breeder who was getting evicted. This breeder lived across the street from my cousin who contacted me and asked if I wanted to take home one of the pups or else they'd go to the pound. Being 17 and living at home at the time, I had to beg my parents for a german shepherd. Mind you, we already had 2 very very old chihuahuas at this time (R.I.P), so my parents agreed to it.

Upon arriving to pick up Shaan, he was one of three pups. Being 6 weeks old, I was worried about taking him home, but she was going to dump them at the pound, so I knew I'd leave with a pup. The owner informed me that she had 2 others coming to pick up the pups today. She was asking for a $150 fee, but since she knew my cousin for a long time, she asked for $25. I know - I gave money to a backyard breeder, but I was 17 at the time, jobless and didn't know better. Plus, the pups needed a home. Please don't kill me! :p
With Shaan, it was love at first sight. He was the only boy left (a litter of 6) and the first to run up to me and start playing with the chew toy I had. However, all 3 pups had a bad case of fleas. They were kept outside in dirt - these pups never played in grass!
I was informed that the dad was tied up because he was very very aggressive and would maul me. The mother who was docile sniffed me and went back to the dog house.
The dogs were being fed trash - Alpo...

Bringing Shaan home, he was a handful. He cried for me all night, but being infested with fleas, I didn't want him in my room around my other two dogs. We set up an area for him in the living room - isolating him from my other two little guys.
The day after, Shaan was taken to the vet where aside from needing some flea and tick meds, his shots, and deworming - Shaan was healthy. :)

Now at 4 years old Shaan is still a handful :p In fact, earlier today, he was getting scolded for walking into the kitchen and playing with his toys there! - which is off limits for all the pets. Today, Shaan has a sister, Chanel - a Russian blue/american shorthair kitty.
Shaan is both indoor/outdoor, but seems to prefer being outside. We have a little under an acre of land so he's always happy playing outside.

Shaan is a bit aggressive on the leash - thinking that all strangers will kill me... Working on this - but most of his exercise is running in the backyard with me :)
He isn't fond of strangers, and will hide in his dog house and bark at them or will run out and try to eat them.

Which is also part of the reason I'm here - to learn to reinfornce this bad behavior and also, because Shaan is a picky eater and often knocks food from his food bowl and won't eat. I notice this mostly during summertime.
Shaan stands at 22 inches at his shoulders, is bicolor and weights about 50 lbs. He's lanky, as his parents were but it's always concerned me, though the vet says that he's healthy, I'm always paranoid about it. But that's for a different thread I'll create tomorrow.

I'm excited to learn more and become a better parent for Shaan :) Pictures of Shaan coming soon as I'm on my work computer 0:)

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi there!

Thank you for the warm welcome! :)

Having a TON of Indian/Fijian blood, we wanted a name in Hindi or Sanskrit.
We chose Shaan because it means prestige/pride. The German Shepherd, though they are goofballs, seem to hold themselves with grace and a sense of royalty, always alert. I felt Shaan would fit :)

The pictures are posted!

The first picture is from today. It was taken as my dad came home. His ears were way up, but as I took the picture, he was moving them down

The second picture is from when I brought him into the front yard after running around in the backyard. He was super tired. That picture is about 5 months old

And finally, the last picture is of Channel... Don't ask. She does weird things like that all the time. I think she gets it from Shaan to be honest :p

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.