German Shepherds Forum banner

Hello ! Glad to be apart of the community. I have some questions about my future pup.

433 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MineAreWorkingline 
#1 ·
Hello,

First of all I would like to introduce myself ;
I'm a 22 year old web developer from Romania and why whole life was surrounded by dogs.
Hamilton is not my name but most of my friends call me that. It's a nickname I got since I was 14 or so.
My first dog was a Golden Retriever (Andre, he got poisoned when I was 4 :frown2: ), my second dog was a Rottweiler (Tommy, died on Christmas day in 2008, he was old) and my third dog is a Beagle (he's name is Morris and he's 8 years old).

Since January I moved from my parents house (and I miss Morris so much) and I currently live with my best friend in the heart of the city.
We have a medium size apartment with 2 rooms, 2 bathrooms and a small hallway and a kitchen.

I'm pretty happy with my life and all but I feel like something is missing, and recently I found out what : a (non-human) best friend.
Here's the thing : Andre, Tommy and Morris we're raised and trained by my familly (since I was little when we got them) and I love dogs so much that I decided I will to get a long coat German Shepherd.
Debra, the mother, got pregnant last week and my puppy is "reserved", he's name will be Aviv - before I continue with my questions please excuse me if this is not the right place to ask them - I tried posting on different sub-forums but the site won't let me. Also, pardon my English, like I said, I'm from Romania.

So, I want Aviv to be the happiest dog ever. I'm planning to give 110% raising him and loving him ; But I need your help with some matters.

Here's the situation :

I work - like I said, I'm a developer.
One week I build websites (from the office) and one week i'm on call (from home) if a website goes down.
When I'm going to the office it's usually from 9 to 5 but I can take brakes at anytime and leave.
My flatmate is a graphic designer and he goes every day to the office so 2 weeks a month Aviv will be left alone from 9 to 5.

I will be getting Aviv when he will be 8 weeks old (in mid September) - how can I manage this left-alone situation when he's a puppy ? I can't bring him to work because we have another dog there, Kira.
Also I don't think my work buddies will agree.

I can come home on 12pm or so to check up on him and go for a 10 minute walk in the park (my flat is right near the Central Park in my city) but will this be suffice ? It's very important to me that he will get used to being alone for 8 hours or so 2 weeks per month. And he will be staying on the hallway when he will be home alone.
Do you guys have any tips ? Advice ?

Also, will this apartment be big enough for Aviv ? He's no Beagle.
Mind you, I will walk him AT LEAST 2 times a day.

Ofc, any tips and tricks are welcome.

Thank you all !

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome and congrats on adding Aviv to your life in the near future.....you are about to depart on a wonderful journey.....keep telling yourself that while Aviv is going through his first couple of stages.

Others here can probably offer better advice than me but the 2 weeks you can be with him 24/7 will be great for him......take advantage.

By the way....your English is great....

SuperG

#4 ·
Welcome and congrats on adding Aviv to your life in the near future.....you are about to depart on a wonderful journey.....keep telling yourself that while Aviv is going through his first couple of stages.

Others here can probably offer better advice than me but the 2 weeks you can be with him 24/7 will be great for him......take advantage.

By the way....your English is great....

SuperG
Thank you SuperG.

I'm really looking forward, this will be the biggest commitment of my life. Yet.

I realize all the work I have to do and like I said, I will give 110%.
The only concern for me is if he will be ok being alone when I'm at work.

Also, financially this dog will not be a problem for me. I make a lot of money.

Regarding my English, yea, It's good because I work with US, UK & Australian companies and I play alot of video games :)wink2:) but I saw some mistakes in my spelling, too bad I can't edit. But it' 5 a.m. in Romania so I'm a little tired :)

#5 ·
Many dog owners work full time and have to leave their pups behind.

As long as you can meet his exercise requirements in the long term and work through the housebreaking issues in the interim - he will be fine.

Potty training will be more difficult, a young pup may need to go out as much as every two hours. Each uncorrected (and house training oops MUST be corrected during the act) accident in the house prolongs the whole training process as it is a self rewarding behavior.

If possible, you may want to have someone drop by twice during your work day (halfway between when you leave and when you get back from lunch and halfway between your lunch break and arrival home). Otherwise you may have to use some slightly less effective house training techniques - like using puppy pads.

Welcome to the board btw!

#6 ·
Welcome to the board! I have a good friend here in the states that was raised in Romania. He loves German Shepherds too!

As already mentioned, lots of people work and have puppies. You can try crating, a pen, or even blocking off a room to keep your puppy safe when you aren't home. It will take a little bit longer to housebreak, but you will be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.