German Shepherds Forum banner

IS this a GS?

3K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
How much GS is in this puppy

Hi We rescued this dog today from a individual that rescues German Shepherds. He is a little doll and the runt of the litter.

Does not matter if he is a mix or not but wondering how much GS you see in him.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
No he does not have mange I know what mange looks like I was raised all my life with dogs. We are bringing him in this week for a 2nd health check this week. He has had 1st shot and worming so that should make him 8 weeks.

He eats solid food very well to and his teeth look good.

Very healthy coat , looks good all round I was just curious how much was GS and how much something else. I did not get to see the parents.

Overall he looks very healthy just when you rescue a dog you never know what you are going to get.

I looked at a lot of galleries on this board I think I know what he may look like when he gets a little older.

Thanks for the replies I will post a few more pics.

#8 ·
Wolfy and Castlemaid he has the same colors are your images kind of hard to tell from the pics I posted.

When he looks at you it looks like he is peering right through you , seems very intelligent already in just a day.

I will post more pics as he gets older I think he is going to be a handsome fellow.

#10 ·
He is very cute, could be full or a mix but looks like mostly GS, long coated, time will tell, post some more when he's a few months older, face and body pictures, It will be a to easier to tell when he gets older and develops more,
He is very very cute have fun with him!

#13 ·
I don't know that her post was so defensive. I can understand if it was, I mean, looking at your avatar, does that dog on the left have some mange going on?

I see no mange on the puppies that she posted either, just a puppy.

#14 · (Edited)
he doesn't selzer, but being sable I can see where you're going with that. or... depending on when I took that photo, his demodex may have still been clearing up ( :p ). if it was an even smaller blurry photo of him in low light as a recently rescued puppy with long hair - I would understand even more why the question came up. I would also respond along the lines of "nope, healthy coat, just a bad photo" I'd feel no need to point out my life experience.... but it's all good, hence, the lol

#15 ·
Being experienced with dogs, the suggestion that my dog may have some demodex (mange) going on wouldn't send my walls up either. But new owners might hear "mange" and it immediately sounds like plague. Red mange I haven't dealt with, but a spot of demodex here or there -- generally just a juvenile immune system needing to catch up and keep the little buggers in check. I saw a poor GSD once with a bad case of demodex, the poor dog was totally naked and I thought, "oh, how sad, an ugly GSD." I was wrong! I saw that dog again when his mange was cleared up and his coat was back and he was stunning.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
OMG whats wrong with you people? I just asked how much the puppy looked like a GS.

The pic is bad but I have had countless dogs and know what mange looks like. The puppy has a beautiful coat the color is just a little off.

As sad as it may sound had I looked at the dog and said oh he has mange I would have never adopted him.

there are no patches, no scabs, no open flesh etc.

Saying he has mange is like looking at your dog and saying he has worms.

I have 2 sons who have played with him consonantly if he had mange they would not be touching him.

Pretty **** board so far that I can tell, I was looking for a friendly GS community to show my dog off as he grows not be bashed over a couple porrly lighted pics.

#19 ·
Demodex isn't contagious and can't hurt the kid, and pretty much all dogs have the mites. They cause no problem unless the immune system is compromised and they get out of hand. Then there are usually small patches of hair affected, usually on the legs or around the eyes or ears or muzzle. Not a big deal really. It's treatable.

Sorry, I was trying to get you going.

#18 ·
Do you not have a date of birth for you pup? I'm assuming you got your pup from someone who rescued a pregnant GSD and gave birth, thus the mystery element as to breed mix.

Glad he is working out for you and your family. Do take him to the vet though, just a common sense thing to do when adopting a new pup.

If you can get better pictures, might be able to get a better idea if he really is 8 weeks old or younger. Did you have documentation about his worming and first shots? The person you got him from may have just said that.

You said you got him from "an individual" who rescues GSDs? How much was this person able to tell you about the circumstances of this pup? It would be to your advantage to know a bit more (especially because the pup looks still so young).

#20 ·
New pics

Yea I'l calm down but for dog lovers a few of you are pretty cruel or snobs one of the two.

SO I looked for a few weeks and almost pulled the trigger on a pure bred for around $1200.00. I talked to my wife and said why don't we just adopt since we had good experiences with rescue animals.

He started out with a hard life already.
He is the smallest in a litter of 5 , mother is known to be a GS and they say the father is as well. I can't verify that.

He and his siblings were rescued from couple who were meth heads that got arrested. Rather than the humane society a woman who does a no kill GS rescue took them all in and adopted out him and the siblings. I have the 1st shot record but he is going in WEDS for a full check.

I know he is not pure I was just curios as to what else. I know he is 8 weeks or at least based on what I can tell as it was stated he was born the 1st week of march.

Does not matter what he is , he is a little doll already and already shows his strong personality and vocal to.

And again he does not have any mange that I can tell.

a few cleared pics of him.

Attachments

#21 ·
He looks mostly GSD, maybe all GSD, but I agree with the others saying he looks younger. As far as people being mean/cruel, I think it's just the way it can come across on a message board, there's no expression or emotion and it's easy to take things different from what the poster intended.

#22 ·
To the OP: many of us are also experienced with dogs and try to help as best as we can. It doesn't make anyone of us snobs. This actually happens frequently with new posters. Of course your only question was "if this is a GSD?". But many of us see additional things and try to help or pre-warn you. It comes out of our good hearts. I am sure I am speaking for many of us here.

#23 ·
Understood and now you know the little guys story but the other poster could just stick to the original question.

If you put a pic on here and say your kid is a model but I respond their eyes are too far apart it's human nature to get offended.

If someone buy's a GSD and says hey look at my new $1000 dog and you respond he looks lie a mutt that person will get offended.

Maybe I'l stick around a post a few pics as he gets older I think he is gonna be a handsome fella.

#25 ·
I have years of online experiences on sites that are far more contentious than this one, but I still got offended quite early here and stopped posting. Finally I realized everyone cares about dogs, even more than our personal feelings, and I started posting. It's a good group and you won't ever have to worry that people are lying to spare your feelings. That's even worse than being insulted.

After you've been here a while you will see it's common for brand new people to come in and make statements based on opinion vs knowledge and then fight when people disagree. In this case, I agree with you. The better pictures don't show mange. Your dog could be a purebred working line dog. Even if it's not, unless you are going to do conformation or breed, it doesn't matter. I wonder why so many people come in here and ask if their dogs are purebred. This isn't a criticism but if we want a guaranteed PB dog, we buy from a reputable breeder. I have done a lot of fostering and rescued a few, and in the end, what matters is the dog's personality and temperament and intelligence, not whether it's a perfect specimen of a GSD or not. Your dog is adorable. I also have an undersized female rescue who is probably PB but might not be, and we don't care. She is almost perfect now that she's trained. Maybe not for anyone else but for us.

#24 · (Edited)
surely I could have posed my question differently and I'll apologize for that much only. inquiring about a rescued pups health is not an insult and hardly comparable to critiquing a child's modeling potential.

you asked about his breed..... his age was questioned, a wire coat was mentioned - yet only my seemingly off topic question was offensive? asking if he had a very treatable and common condition of rescued puppies... a condition that is out of your control and has nothing to do with your choice, care for him or your kids - that's insulting?

I adopted a pup with demodex mange....small patch on his muzzle.... I adopted him, played with him, kissed him, allowed others including children to play with him - it cleared up in a couple months. no big deal.

if this is your first gsd puppy, I think you should remain on the boards, it's a great resource. there's an ignore feature.... may come in handy if my writing style is offensive.

best of luck with the new pup!

eta: for what it's worth, he looks like a cute and healthy purebred pup in the additional photos.

#27 ·
Agreed with what has been said. As being a life long owner of dogs surely you can see the members here only had concern for the pups well being, not that you have had anything to do with it if there was a problem since he comes from a questionable background and history. Plus demodex is pretty common in pups, ive had more have it than not. Worminess can also be indicated physically but I digress. With the better photos he could very well be full blooded but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something else too. He does still look young, often times pups younger than 8 weeks will be given their first set of shots if they are in a rescue type situation and it is not the best way to gauge how old he is, though the woman you got him from should have some idea? Either way you appear to have scored on an adorable little guy who will give you many years of enjoyment. Please keep updated photos as we all love pictures, and especially baby ones!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.