Hello from California!; Pound rescued 7mo GSD (: - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello from California!; Pound rescued 7mo GSD (:

Hey everyone,

So after a solid few days of standing on the outside reading y'all's wonderful insight and stories about your GSDs, I've decided Zeke and I would officially join in on the fun Zeke is a 7 month old GSD that was an overnight owner surrender (dropped off at the kennel with two other little dogs) at the pound; the owner sighted "moving" as the reason. He was at the pound less than 16 hours before I swooped in and made my new friend for life! So now that I've had him home for 8 days now, I would love to share details of his exploits so far and I am always open for any and all helpful tips y'all can provide; it's been a pleasure already to join this forum, I've had dogs before...now I have Zeke.
Psalm 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on rescuing Zeke, can you post some pictures of him?

You might want to look up the "two week shut down" not an expert on this, but basically you'll want to keep life in his new home very reserved for a couple weeks. Too many people take their rescue out and about meeting people, dogs, places and it can be overwhelming for them, perhaps creating problems. You can use the search function and research older threads on it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Congratulations to you and Zeke and thank you for giving him a forever home.Do you have other dogs? Gotta agree w/ Nigel we love pictures.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Welcome to the forum to you and Zeke. How lucky of him to find you in such a short time. 8 months is such a...wonderful age..lol. I'm sure you two will have lots of fun. Yes we love pics
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

You're blessed to find a beautiful dog like Zeke! Those are great pictures you have of him in your profile album!!
GSDMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Yay welcome !! good looking puppy
Old 07-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Both of you are lucky to have each other! Yey, Zeke!!
Let Zeke get familiar with his new home. A completely new environment may be overwhelming. He needs to feel comfortable and start trusting you that he won't be given away again.
Maverick M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on rescuing Zeke, can you post some pictures of him?

You might want to look up the "two week shut down" not an expert on this, but basically you'll want to keep life in his new home very reserved for a couple weeks. Too many people take their rescue out and about meeting people, dogs, places and it can be overwhelming for them, perhaps creating problems. You can use the search function and research older threads on it.
@Nigel Thank you for mentioning that adaptation technique, two week shutdown, for new rescues as ive read several threads now ..only problem being I have done the exact opposite in the past week! I was so worried about not being involved in the imprinting phases on weeks 8 through 14 and did not want to risk missing out on socializing Zeke. So he has been with me to Petco, Petsmart, Home depot, mutiple parks ( with screaming and running kids) and busy street walks with other pedestrians/bikers/dogs; he has passed all with flying colors. He has only barked nervously ( while backing Up) at a 3 people out of 20+, I dont make him be petted if he does not want it but most of the time he will walk up to a polite stranger ( give them a treat). It is very random who he chooses to bark at, he will ignore people who walk right next to him, but it seems "the approach" of a stranger gets him alerted; additionally, all three people he barked at were grown men, two had beards with sunglasses..could those be triggers?

Also, suprisingly he is already house trained and has been sleeping in my room at night unattened and has been a perfect angel (: I dont wake up to any barking, whining, chews, or messes! I have read many people mention they wouldnt dream of leaving their dog uncrated at night, is Zeke just an exception to the rule?
Old 07-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
Welcome to the forum to you and Zeke. How lucky of him to find you in such a short time. 8 months is such a...wonderful age..lol. I'm sure you two will have lots of fun. Yes we love pics
@msmaria Thank you for your kind words; if you dont mind elaborating a bit on the stage you experienced at the 8 months you mentioned I would appreciate it. I have read this is his adolescence stage and he will constantly be pushing his boundries.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
Congratulations to you and Zeke and thank you for giving him a forever home.Do you have other dogs? Gotta agree w/ Nigel we love pictures.
@daisy&lucky'smom Thank you! Although he will not be living with them, he has met and has access to my family dogs who live with my parents( 14yo yellow lab and 4yo little mix dog). He is very friendly with them, playing both the dominate and submissve roles while rolling on the floor with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.