New 9 month old GSD and AKC registration question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New 9 month old GSD and AKC registration question

Hello everyone!
I recently brought home a 9 month fully papered GSD, Renley. He was a rescue of sorts as the girl who had him worked and partied all the time so the poor guy spent 18 hours a day in his kennel in a tiny apartment. He had almost no obedience training so he is a little (okay A LOT) hyper but very intelligent and quick to learn. It will be a challenge but I am looking forward to it and have had a lot of fun in the few short days I've had him.

A quick question about AKC registration:
She gave me all his shot and medical records, along with the AKC registration form with the breeder's info. The dog's name is already filled out but is not what she or I called him. Also, the previous owner's information is listed on the form. How do I go about getting a new form for all of my information? Should I contact the breeder?
deep_blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

His reg'd name cannot be changed. The reg'd name doesn't have to be what you call him.

The previous owner has to sign ownership over to you..Should be on the registration certificate,

Did the previous owner register him? If so, then there should be a place on the back I believe of the reg where you sign ownership over to someone else and probably resend the reg in with a fee for ownership change.

If the dogs reg was not sent in, not sure how that works..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't believe the previous owner ever registered him. I still have the registration form that is mostly filled out but I don't think it has ever been sent in. I got him from a third party so I don't have contact with the previous owner but I can ask and find out.
deep_blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
His reg'd name cannot be changed. The reg'd name doesn't have to be what you call him.

The previous owner has to sign ownership over to you..Should be on the registration certificate,

Did the previous owner register him? If so, then there should be a place on the back I believe of the reg where you sign ownership over to someone else and probably resend the reg in with a fee for ownership change.

If the dogs reg was not sent in, not sure how that works..
This is not true. You CAN change the registered name of a dog, provided 1) the dog has never been shown, titled, or won an award, 2) the breeder was not the one to name and register him, and 3) the dog's name doesn't contain a registered kennel name.

https://images.akc.org/pdf/ADCG01.pdf

Carey
workingk9_Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

ok thanks for clarifying..

So it looks like the dog was "never" registered? You can always akc thru the PAL (alternate listing) ..If he's neutered/spayed. If you PAL register him, you can name him whatever you want.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

I filled out all my dogs AKC paperwork via website. So regardless if the paper is filled out you can register online and enter in all the information with the name you choose and you as the first owner. The website walks you through the registration process.
Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just register the dog online. It's simple and you can change the name to whatever you want. All you need is the PIN numbers that's on the registration form.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

well - I personally don't feel like it is proper for someone to change the name if the breeders kennel name and litter letter is on the application.....

If it is a generic kind of companion name, then not so against it...

In any case get the registration done quickly as the price does go way up after a year old

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yeah...some breeders don't give people input on what the dog's registered name is. The call name...anything they want, but the registered name should be what the breeder wants it to be. That way, the breeder can track the progress and titling of the dog if they want to.

If the name is just a companion name, no kennel attached to it, I'd just register online and change whatever I wanted.

I actually think that if you can get the breeder's information, you should contact them and let them know what's going on. You might get some very valuable information about your dog from them.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

If the breeder is concerned about what the Doug's registered name will be, he or she can (and should) register the pup themselves and the buyer can do a transfer of ownership. This ensures that the pup will have the name the breeder wants and that it can't be changed.

Carey
workingk9_Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.