German Shepherds Forum banner

new to GSD's...

574 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  crazy_chicken 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am a total newbie to GSD'S but absolutely love them so far. A little history about me...I have been a Dobie guy for years, actually 3rd generation of trainer/ breeder. ..I am also a 100% disabled veteran and 3rd generation military. My wife volunteers for a rescue and that is actually how I ended up with my first GSD, but that's a long story. ..I usually train the foster dogs in basic obedience I figure If they can meet the requirements of the good citizen training it will be a lot easier for them to be placed in homes. This is where I was impressed by the breed. Dobies are intelligent dogs but seem to possess a bit more of a stubbornness I haven't noticed in my GSD. I am not sure if it's typical of the breed or if I just got lucky and got a good dog or both..I initially wanted to get into schutzhund but my dog is a little too flat, so we are going a different route. We are continuing her obedience training and she is officially going to be my service dog. . I named my dog Cadence she is about 7 months old now, I have had her since she was 3 months old and love every minute so far...

#2 ·
Welcome!

Sounds like German Shepherds are lucky you found them.

Thank you for your service!

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum! I have learned so much about the breed here--it's helped me to feel more confident and allowed me to do a better job raising my pup.

I am also new to GSDs. My dog's an incredible boy at 4.5 months. I have had dogs all my life, but GSDs seem to require more of their handlers--and they seem to give back in kind.

I have a lovely min pin--black and rust. Her dad was an international champion. The min pin breed was developed before dobies, but is related. She is a wonderful girl-very intelligent--great sense of humor--and stubborn!!! So I get what you're saying...

It's such a delight to have a willing to please GSD!

Both my parents were vets and I grew up in the military. Thank you for the sacrifices you have made in the line of duty and on behalf of our country. Thank you to your family--military families also deserve recognition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.