German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   Austin IS Wierd!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/459066-austin-wierd.html)

kevcarr59 06-10-2014 03:28 PM

Austin IS Wierd!!!

Living just south of Austin is an experience in itself...

Anyway.. My son got a dog from the shelter about 3 1/2 to 4 years ago, and was told she was a Red Heeler mix. She is very good, fairly obedient, and good with kids. He couldn't take her to his new apartment, so I've re-rescued her. We have almost an acre that's fenced, so she can run & play. She also has 2 running partners, our sister Terri poo Schnauzers. They are about 18 months old.

MY questions were regarding shaving Lola, the Heeler mix. Once I get a good picture of her on the site, you may be better able to give advice. She really looks like she has a lot of Shepherd in her, so that's why I started looking on this site after some searching.

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 06-10-2014 04:15 PM

Welcome. If she has shepherd probably dont want to shave her as the double coat helps insulate from the heat and maintain body temp. Looking forward to your pictures. Thanks for helping this lil girl out.

kevcarr59 06-11-2014 01:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay, let's see if this works...Attachment 215801

Attachment 215809

Attachment 215817

TAA DAA...LOL... And this is Lola....

BorderKelpie 06-11-2014 04:45 AM

Awww, she's pretty.

Don't shave her, check Amazon for a Furminator. Make sure it's the real one, not a fake knock-off. The Furminator will become one of your favorite grooming tools.

I own two for my double coated shedder dogs. I'd be lost without it.

(brush her outside! Learned that the hard way. lol)

Kayos and Havoc 06-11-2014 08:51 AM

She definitley looks GSD x Heeler. She is darling. I have 3 German Shedders living in my house.

Brush outside about every other day during shedding season. Once or twice a week when not shedding. They do blow coat badly in the spring. We also vacuum a lot!

Thanks for giving this pretty girly a home. She looks like she is a delightful dog.

Buggibub 06-11-2014 07:40 PM

Greetings from... Austin

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

kevcarr59 06-13-2014 11:13 AM

With the winter we had up here, she spent a lot of time in the house at night. She wasn't too bad, she took my spot on the end of the couch when I would go to bed. She wasn't shedding nearly as bad as what she's been doing now. I've brushed about a basketball size of undercoat from here in the last couple weeks.

The big problem now is the sticker-burrs and the grass seeds. The big, spiny ones usually just pull out, but the little, black, sticky seeds are a pain. We have a big section that's overgrown, and the only way to get rid of it is going to be a clear-off burn. It's getting a little warm to do that, but it's the only way. The other girls are even worse with the seeds. If we don't take them out on the leash, they return completely covered.

I guess we'll just have to keep up what we're doing, and hopefully this fall & winter we can get some grass seed and push out these weeds.

The "Furminator", is that the hoop thingy I've seen at PetsMart & Petco?? I thought it was a bit expensive. The reason I was thinking about shaving was since I was getting a set of clippers for the other dogs I would be able to clip Lola real close, and that would work.

kevcarr59 06-13-2014 11:37 AM

Greeting Bug... What part of Austin?? We're south down here in Buda...

Buggibub 06-18-2014 02:51 AM

In the hills off 360!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App