German Shepherds Forum banner

New Parents To An Adopted Girl!

562 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  DonnaKay 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I must say we are both super excited. My boyfriend and I rescued a 10 month old girl from our local pet shelter! Unfortunately, she was left abandoned with her sister who thankfully was adopted shortly after we adopted her! (Shiloh). This is his second GS, but it's my FIRST dog EVER. She was prescribed to be from a physician to ease anxiety and depression. I must say she makes me much more relaxed after a long day at work! It's quite exciting.. I feel as if I'm a kid on Christmas. She's such an astonishing little girl. Right now she is 15 pounds underweight for her age, but with a little TLC we hope to get her right to where she needs to be. What I found surprising was how immediately obedient she was towards the both of us. She doesn't bark, at all. I mean it, not a sound comes out of her. We are hoping she gains a little spunk in a month or two. Getting in the car she doesn't have any trouble, she hops right in lays down and takes a nap! That's quite different from other dogs I've seen on the road. One thing that bothers us is that she is refusing to eat at the moment. She's extremely affectionate in the sense that she loves to be near you, but won't lick you or nuzzle you. She craving the company which is awesome. I've done some reading and I'm assuming she contracted the Kennel cough. Anyway, I can't wait to learn more about her, she's just so special to me. :blush:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
What a beautiful little girl pup. You sound so happy to have her in your life. With patience, kindness and love over time she will open up and express herself better.

As for the non-eating thing now, have your tried feeding a morsel or two from your hand? Or how about some low sodium beef or chicken broth, something to stimulate her appetite? Will you have her checked at the vet for kennel cough, or did the shelter give you meds? Maybe medication is making her not want to eat. My daughter adopted her dog from the shelter with kennel cough, she was on meds for a week or two.

#4 ·
Shiloh is such a sweet looking girl. Glad to see she found a good home.

She seems a lot like my Maddie when I brought her home from the shelter at 11 months of age. She was too skinny, shy, very obedient, sweet and a picky eater to boot! A patient, gentle approach worked wonders with her.

We fed all kinds of things over the years, mostly things we fixed for her. We are raw feeding with our new pup (pre-made). He loves it and thrives on it.

Enjoy your new pup.

#5 ·
What a beautiful little girl! Shiloh needs time to adjust. Go slow and give her a chance to come out of her shell at a rate that is comfortable for her. Don't expose her to too much activity at first so as not to overwhelm her. She needs to be just around the two of you to get her bearings. You guys sound like you are going to be fantastic parents!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.