German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   Oklahoma boy, new to all of this! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/455282-oklahoma-boy-new-all.html)

OklahomaGSDonTheRez 05-29-2014 05:18 PM

Oklahoma boy, new to all of this!

Wado! My name is Travis and I live in Oklahoma. I got my first GSD about 3 weeks ago and have been trying to learn everything about them that I can possibly take in! As a 12 week old pup, Nuke has already amazed me with his intelligence! He has learned so many things and amazingly keeps me laughing! Who knew the little fella had it in him! I have had great dogs in the past but am more than excited about this dog! I am actually new to being a member to any kind of forum or even many webpages at all! I would appreciate any help, tips or good ideas about how to use this website and also about german shepherds! I will try to stay current with this site as much as possible and would LOVE for people to communicate! I love reading the stories about other GSD's and the silly things that they do!

ApselBear 05-29-2014 06:11 PM

Welcome Travis, from the Arkansas River Valley. You've found a great place in this forum for access to all kinds of knowledge. There are many trainers and fellow GSD owners here who have experienced it all. Any time you have any specific questions, your best bet is to use the search tool near the top of the forum. It'll allow you to quickly skim through similar posts, chances are, someone on here has had the same thing occur and came here seeking advice.

Do you have any plans for your pup along the lines of IPO, agility, tracking or other such sports/work? An intelligent dog loves having stuff to concentrate energy and focus on, so it is always a great idea to get involved in such activities. I ask now, because this is a great opportunity for the resident experts to chime in and give some excellent guidance in beginning your journey with your GSD.

HarleyTheGSD 05-29-2014 06:31 PM

Welcome! We would love to see some photos of your pup!

Mishka&Milo 05-29-2014 06:58 PM

Hello! There is so much great information here. I also would love to see pictures!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Lilie 05-29-2014 07:09 PM

Welcome from South Texas!!!!

GSDAlphaMom 05-29-2014 07:11 PM

Welcome from a fellow Sooner! We'd love to see pics up your pup!

dawnandjr 05-29-2014 10:51 PM

Do you have any training classes lined up yet? If you are close to Tulsa, look up Clickety split dog training. She breeds, trains, raises german shepherds and can really help you two grow together.

kbella999 05-30-2014 10:55 AM

Welcome from OKC. Would love to see pictures. What activities are you wanting to do?

OklahomaGSDonTheRez 05-30-2014 11:38 AM

Thank you for all of the welcomes! I am sorry that I havent been able to post pics. I will do my best to put some on my profile and the thread so all can see my little fella! Yesterday I booked my first training session on basic obedience for next thursday and cannot tell yall how excited that I am!!! It is with a lady named Pam Hixon that works for the local police force. She trains police dogs in this area and her specialty is German Shepherds! She had to cancel our last appointment because she had to go on a search and rescue for a man that went missing recently. I do have a question though but I wasnt sure the right place to ask, my pup is around 4 months old, what brand of dogfood or raw food is somewhat cost efficient while also providing the nutrition and joint health that the dogs need? Along with energy requirements?

GSDAlphaMom 05-30-2014 12:14 PM

I use texastripe.com. He makes an Okla run (1x month) as far east as Henryetta. I think that's about an hour from Tulsa.