German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   New to the site and new to owning a GSD! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/451698-new-site-new-owning-gsd.html)

Beautiful Bailey 05-19-2014 02:26 AM

New to the site and new to owning a GSD!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone! My name is Brittney and I am a first time German Shepherd owner as well as a first time puppy owner.
During my childhood we always owned a dog but unfortunately the last time my parents got a puppy was over 12 years ago so it's like a totally new experience for me. I have had 2 dogs of my own prior to this both which were adopted from shelters. The first was an 11 year old chihuahua named Lexi who had been at the shelter for about 6 months. The second is a 7 year old Corgi mix named Teeto, who is now my sisters dog due to the bond her 7 month old son and Teeto have.

When I first decided to get a new dog I knew I wanted a larger breed for the purpose of feeling more secure since I will be on my own soon. I searched through shelters and on various websites and contacting about 15 people before finding the cutest litter of German Shepherd puppies born February 25,2014 in Longview, Washington.
When I got to the home of the puppies, the owner introduced me to the mother and Father who were absolutely gorgeous. Then she brought out the puppies in sets of two, one female and one male. The first set she brought out was the last set I looked at. I knew right away that the female puppy in the set was the one I wanted. She was so sweet and something about her just clicked. However while I was bonding with my new puppy, my best friend who I asked to come with me was having her bring out another male puppy. After an hour of conversation we finally left with not one but two puppies. My precious little female and my friends new adorable male.
After making it back to our hometown we of course went puppy shopping and thought about the perfect names for our new family members (we call them out fur children) I decided on naming my sweet little girl Bailey and my best friend and her fiancÚ named their little boy Max.

Ever since I brought Bailey home I have been researching various GSD informational sites trying to learn anything and everything I can about the breed and the best methods on training my new puppy. I have learned and continue to learn such valuable information but I am so glad to have found this site, there is no better way to learn about a breed then by talking to other people who own them and are/have gone through training a GSD.
Bailey is now a few days away from 12 weeks old. She is so much bigger then the day I brought her home and she is incredibly intelligent. She was potty trained with in the first week of brining her home, she knows sit, lay down, leave it, Hi-five with her left paw, shake with her right paw, on out walks she knows to stay on the right side and we are working on heel. We are also working on stay, off for when she jumps up when i get home or people come over, come, bed and we are trying to get her use to her kennel.

We look forward to reading all of your stories and getting advice with training and other GSD experiences.

Sincerely,
Brittney and Bailey 🐾

ItsColiOli 05-19-2014 02:50 AM

Awesome story :) I'm also from Washington but live in Spokane. As well I am new to owning a GSD and want to make sure I do everything correct so I found this forum a few days ago.

Your puppy is so adorable!! Hope training goes well for you.

-Nicole

KayDub 05-19-2014 03:06 AM

Welcome! Beautiful girl & cute name. I'm a first time GSD owner under nearly the same circumstances as you. My last pup was nine yrs ago (an Australian shepherd) & I too wanted a large breed for a secure feeling. You've came to a wonderful place you'll receive lots of helpful advice here. Be sure to take lots of pictures these dogs don't stay little long! I look forward to hearing more about your Bailey.

Kayos and Havoc 05-19-2014 09:02 AM

Welcome! She is very cute.

Beautiful Bailey 05-19-2014 01:58 PM

Thank you Nicole! I am from Portland Oregon but I drove to Longview to pick Bailey up. I'm loving being a GSD owner. How old is your puppy and how did training go for you?

Beautiful Bailey 05-19-2014 02:07 PM

KayDub, thank you. I'm glad to hear that I made a good choice by joining the site. That's awesome you got a GSD for the feeling of safety as well. Smaller dogs are nice but they never really gave me the feeling of security. As for the pictures, Bailey probably thinks I take to many pictures of her. I have an Instagram account that has pretty much turned into a album of Bailey. How old is your GSD? How did training go for you?

Beautiful Bailey 05-19-2014 02:08 PM

Thank you Kathy!

brembo 05-19-2014 02:33 PM

Muhahaha, adorable landshark ya got there. Their weapons grade cuteness is a survival trait. A GSD pup will drive you to the end of your rope at every opportunity, think industrial chipper/shredder with fuzz and likes to cuddle now and again.

BUT....

It's soooo worth the headaches and inconvenience once the puppy brain morphs into adult brain. GSDs are like wine, they get better with age. I hope your journey with Bailey is as fulfilling as mine have been with my beasts.

Beautiful Bailey 05-19-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brembo (Post 5536786)
Muhahaha, adorable landshark ya got there. Their weapons grade cuteness is a survival trait. A GSD pup will drive you to the end of your rope at every opportunity, think industrial chipper/shredder with fuzz and likes to cuddle now and again.

BUT....

It's soooo worth the headaches and inconvenience once the puppy brain morphs into adult brain. GSDs are like wine, they get better with age. I hope your journey with Bailey is as fulfilling as mine have been with my beasts.

Haha thank you for the advice. Bailey thankfully keeps her chewing to a few things like sticks and her toys. She would much rather hide behind trees and dig. I have myself more of an excavator then a chipper.
I can only imagine what kind of dog Bailey will be when she is an adult. She is already so smart (some times to smart it seems lol) it will be a long journey to before I get there but I'm sure it will be well worth every moment.

PMRonan 05-19-2014 04:03 PM

Congrats! She is adorable!