New and here to learn - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Truckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 7
Default New and here to learn

Hello everyone! Just adopted my first (not my husband's first) GSD recently. I could not wait for my husband to come home to get our dog so I went and got him without him (he's in the USAF, gone a lot). Our pups name is Jackson (male) and as far as I was told he was about a year and a half according to the Rescue. So far he has been great and I fell in love with the breed as soon as I met Jackson.

I joined the forum to seek advice when I have questions about the breed since this will be my first time with a GSD. Since bringing Jackson home I have discovered a few amazing things about him: he knows german commands (very obedient, also knows attack commands which I thought was unusual), walks/runs great on a leash (heels perfectly), loves playing fetch with tennis ball, plays nice with other dogs, and is VERY protective of me especially around men he doesn't know. The last one there worries me the most. I'm really hoping I can come up with some better ways for Jackson to meet my husband when he comes home without Jackson getting aggressive or territorial. My husband doesn't seem worried but considering Jacksons past I would rather be EXTRA CAUTIOUS. Any recommendations on the homecoming?

also, what is everyone's preference for dog food? I am a nutritionist and have been doing my research on raw dog foods. I read the ingredients of just about every brand at the grocery store and petco; most of them containing some pretty nasty ingredients. Since I myself am a vegan and feed myself quality nutrients I'd like to do the same for Jackson. No dyes, no meals, no chemical additives etc. Right now I have Jackson eating "Instinct Raw" frozen raw dog food (beef). I approved if every ingredient but just curious what kind of diets everyone else has their GSD on. I've noticed chabges immediately after switching Jackson from kibbles to raw food. No diarrhea, more energy, much glossier coat and overall better temperament. (Temperament may be associated with being in a new forever home and it was good to begin with). Let me know if there are better raw dog food plans out there! I'd love to hear!


sorry for writing an essay
Truckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 236
Default

Hello and welcome! I'm new here as well!

He sounds like a really smart and well trained dog to me. Perhaps he was a police dog? I often hear that their dogs are trained with German commands.

I was wondering how did you find out that he knows German and attack commands? Did the rescue notify you or did you just randomly say things and he did it? If it were me introducing my dog to a new person I would not make a huge deal about it because I believe that the dog can sense this and if you are excited or nervous you will make the dog excited and nervous. Just remain calm and allow the dog to come to your husband and sniff him. It would be best if your husband doesn't stare directly at the dog because the dog might think that it is a challenge.

I to, love to look at the ingredients in my pet and people food! It might be because my sister is learning to be a nutritionist. I used to make my dog a doggie stew with mince, beef stock for flavour, rice/noodles, kidney beans, carrots, peas, and silver beat. I would often feed him raw meats as well such as lamb, beef and chicken. I once gave him horse meat but it gave him diarrhea! It's funny because I know of other dogs who are just fine with it. I would also feed my dog kangaroo after we went hunting. He just loved chewing on a kangaroo leg and tail!
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
MustLoveGSDs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 1,553
Default

If you can facetime or skype with your husband and Jackson and have Jackson get used to your husbands scent that might have some positive influences.

When I feed raw I follow a prey model raw diet. You have to watch out and avoid enhanced meats at the store because the sodium can be way too much for dogs.

Raw Fed Dogs - Natural Prey Model Rawfeeding Diet
__________________
"If you don't train them, don't blame them"
MustLoveGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Truckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Hello and welcome! I'm new here as well!

He sounds like a really smart and well trained dog to me. Perhaps he was a police dog? I often hear that their dogs are trained with German commands.

I was wondering how did you find out that he knows German and attack commands? Did the rescue notify you or did you just randomly say things and he did it? If it were me introducing my dog to a new person I would not make a huge deal about it because I believe that the dog can sense this and if you are excited or nervous you will make the dog excited and nervous. Just remain calm and allow the dog to come to your husband and sniff him. It would be best if your husband doesn't stare directly at the dog because the dog might think that it is a challenge.

I to, love to look at the ingredients in my pet and people food! It might be because my sister is learning to be a nutritionist. I used to make my dog a doggie stew with mince, beef stock for flavour, rice/noodles, kidney beans, carrots, peas, and silver beat. I would often feed him raw meats as well such as lamb, beef and chicken. I once gave him horse meat but it gave him diarrhea! It's funny because I know of other dogs who are just fine with it. I would also feed my dog kangaroo after we went hunting. He just loved chewing on a kangaroo leg and tail!


the Rescue informed me about the German commands as well as the attack commands. I do think it's kind of cool saying german to him.. had to have a quick german lesson before I adopted him. I do not know anything about the previous owners, just that he was trained as an attack dog and I had to and still am going through required obedience classes with Jackson. The obedience classes are more for me than him lol. I figured the same as you said with introducing him to my husband. Just let him sniff and have my husband keep his hands to himself until Jackson gives him the look that it's okay to pet haha (yes he has a look). His story before going to the Rescue is that he bit the neighbors hand when the neighbor reached out to pet him. The owners took him to the Rescue so that he would not be picked up by animal control. By taking him to the Rescue they had to forfeit ownership.

From what I was told, the neighbor was a stranger to jackson and approached him with both hands, palms down...straight for his face. Bit one of the guys fingers almost completely off.
I however as jackson new owner...will not be encouraging the attack dog personality in him but I'm sure if he feels threatened enough, he will act on it. He has already shown my neighbor that he does not like him at all. My neighbor is a jerk and I think he picked up on his tone and the way he was talking to me.
Truckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Truckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustLoveGSDs View Post
If you can facetime or skype with your husband and Jackson and have Jackson get used to your husbands scent that might have some positive influences.

When I feed raw I follow a prey model raw diet. You have to watch out and avoid enhanced meats at the store because the sodium can be way too much for dogs.

Raw Fed Dogs - Natural Prey Model Rawfeeding Diet
I've been skyping with my husband everyday and jacks recognizes knows his voice but doesn't look at the computer. He actually really hates technology! Gnaws my phone out of my hand. Runs away when I try to take pictures...I usually have to sneak one in when he's not looking...or hold down the button so that it takes 50 all in a 10 second period. Thanks for the raw food tips. Thought about making the meals myself but, I think I'll leave that up to the pros and buy a brand of raw food. He lovesssssss the instinct raw. Hes seems to be a happy camper
Truckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin View Post
Just let him sniff and have my husband keep his hands to himself until Jackson gives him the look that it's okay to pet haha (yes he has a look). His story before going to the Rescue is that he bit the neighbors hand when the neighbor reached out to pet him. The owners took him to the Rescue so that he would not be picked up by animal control. By taking him to the Rescue they had to forfeit ownership.

From what I was told, the neighbor was a stranger to jackson and approached him with both hands, palms down...straight for his face. Bit one of the guys fingers almost completely off.
Yeah, they do certainly give you a look or a lick of acceptance, don't they?

Well it sounds as though the neighbor just may have approached him the wrong way. I had a friend who's mum owned a fear aggressive Maltese x Shi Tzu and he hated it when people would approach and reach their hand out. He would back into a corner, growl, bare his teeth and bark wildly. Me and another friend would completely ignore him and eventually when he realised there was nothing to be afraid of he would then come out of hiding and investigate. That was when we could pat him.

EDIT: Haha, I spelled Shi Tzu wrong and it came up as a swear word.

Last edited by Yoshi; 05-13-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Truckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Yeah, they do certainly give you a look or a lick of acceptance, don't they?

Well it sounds as though the neighbor just may have approached him the wrong way. I had a friend who's mum owned a fear aggressive Maltese x Shi Tzu and he hated it when people would approach and reach their hand out. He would back into a corner, growl, bare his teeth and bark wildly. Me and another friend would completely ignore him and eventually when he realised there was nothing to be afraid of he would then come out of hiding and investigate. That was when we could pat him.

EDIT: Haha, I spelled Shi Tzu wrong and it came up as a swear word.

jacks just seems to be intimidating through the screen door..then once he sniffs the person he's good to go... my husband said his past GSDs did the same thing. I figure it'll all be okay but doesn't hurt to be cautious I guess. I'll have to take a video of the homecoming and post it for you guys.

And I also apparently need to figure out how to post photos. I've been on forums before but...it's not taking the URL for my photos...or when it does it says must be approved by admin?
Truckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Truckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 7
Default


He was too cute to disturb! Sneaks on the couch when Im not home... but I figure if thats the worst hes going to do.... Im okay with it.. (I told him to get off shortly after this pic lol)



Truckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com