German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   Hello there! From Down Under! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/449297-hello-there-down-under.html)

Yoshi 05-12-2014 10:42 AM

Hello there! From Down Under!

Hello there!

I am new here! I'm from Australia and although I am young at heart and by age, I have had a lot of experience growing up with all sorts of animals as I was raised on a farm. :D I love the German Shepherd breed - particularly working lines - and many other breeds that resemble them such as Belgian Shepherds, White Swiss Shepherds, Dutch Shepherds etc.

In fact, I used to have a White Swiss Shepherd but unfortunately he passed away far too early of unknown causes. :( It was devastating. But being a girl who was raised on a farm I am familiar with death and I know my boy would not want me to linger, and instead cherish the great times we have had together and to learn from our success and mistakes to forge a stronger bond with the next dog I adopt sometime in the future when I feel I am ready again.

You may be wondering why I do not have a dog picture and instead have a dragon for my avatar? Well that is because unfortunately all my photos of my boy were on my old computer, which had crashed. Sadly I could not take anymore photos. My username is "Yoshi" because I have always wanted to have a dog called Yoshi and will probably name my next dog Yoshi when I have the chance.

I hope I can meet some nice people and learn more! :hugs:

Yoshi

LaRen616 05-12-2014 10:45 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

I love "How To Train Your Dragon."

I also love Yoshi! It's been the name of my email address for 14 years now, lol.

SuperG 05-12-2014 10:49 AM

Welcome....and I respect your healthy attitude about your beloved Swiss White Shepherd you once had the privilege of ...I think you have it exactly correct.

SuperG

Shade 05-12-2014 10:50 AM

:welcome: I hope you find another wonderful GSD, they really are addicting :)

ApselBear 05-12-2014 10:54 AM

Welcome Yoshi! I recommend that you check out services like photobucket or any of the cloud services such as iCloud and google's cloud for storage of your photos of you future Yoshi and any other files you'd like to keep forever. Computers are flaky and die eventually, so it helps to store stuff on a cloud. Backup flash drives are good options too, although much clumsier. Looking forward to seeing Yoshi photos in the (hopefully near) future!

Yoshi 05-12-2014 11:16 AM

Thank you for the welcome everyone! :hugs:

LaRen616, I love "How to Train Your Dragon" too! It is just such a beautiful movie and Toothless is so sweet and adorable. :wub: I remember when I first saw it in the cinemas. The scene where Hiccup and Toothless began to form their "forbidden friendship" was just so beautiful.

SuperG, thank you for your kind words! I know that death is a natural part of life and nature can be a wonderful thing. It may seem harsh at times, but this is how our world works. When I was younger I didn't quite understand it.

Shade, I couldn't agree with you more. :D

AspelBear, I have learn't from my mistake and have invested in a hard drive, so hopefully it won't happen again!

EDIT: I will certainly upload photos of future Yoshi, but for now I have to wait because at the moment we are moving and it will probably be best to wait until we are settled in. Although I was kicking myself because I saw a nice mating and it's such a shame that I will have to miss out on it! If only we could get settled sooner! :crazy: I just hate it when we are left suspended in limbo.

sparra 05-12-2014 09:12 PM

Hello from Victoria. I am on a farm down here. We have sheep and grow crops. My GSD loves the farm life :)

tottie86 05-12-2014 09:42 PM

Welcome :) I am from Australia also, I live in brisbane :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Yoshi 05-13-2014 12:56 AM

Thanks guys, it's great to see some Australians here!

Yeah we did sheep, cows, and cropping. We have poultry too but they are more of a hobby for us. The farm life is great and I simply cannot imagine living in a town or city. I remember when I was in High School and I had to board away from the farm, that was just a terrible experience for me! :sick:

My dog loved the farm, although he didn't herd the sheep - my dad's Kelpies did that - he used to love chasing rabbits, jumping on the hay bales, swimming in the dam and interacting with the working dogs. I remember when he was between 14-20 weeks old I took him shearing with me because I was a roustabout and all the shearers would say "What kind of dog is that? Is he a husky?"

sparra 05-13-2014 01:59 AM

What kind of poultry do you have? We are poultry nuts too ;) We have a couple incubators and are a bit addicted. We hatch lots of guinea fowl and sell them cause people can't get them many places anymore.
I want some peacocks and geese but worried about the foxes.
We have a kelpie too.....she is a sheep dog but a very spoilt one !!!! I do let my shepherd work the sheep for a bit of fun....he is handy and enjoys it so that is the main thing.
Hope you find your dream dog soon :)