German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   My first GSD any advice welcomed (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/447114-my-first-gsd-any-advice-welcomed.html)

KayDub 05-06-2014 08:12 PM

My first GSD any advice welcomed

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 2 month old GSD I got from a local breeder. No papers but I met mom & dad on site. I am a first time GSD owner always had Australian Shepherds. Ive quickly learned this girl is just as highly intelligent. She seems to take to some obedience training when she wants of course speaks on command is potty trained. She's a vicous little bitter loves to rip your pants, she often wants to play with my old girl but my aussie just doesnt have the energy in her. I also work just a few hrs a day & have to kennel her I live on a few hundred acres but im afraid to let her roam shes so young. Any ideas on how to help her viciousness, how to help teach her the boundaries of my land or make the kennel a more tolerable experience, also any games we can play outside that she may like to make up for my old dogs lack of energy?

Twyla 05-06-2014 08:19 PM

First threads to read and then reread on here -

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...nhibition.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...alization.html

Next, line up an experienced trainer - one who knows GSD.

Look up threads on here about engagement, and also do a search for Micheal Ellis videos especially on engagement

KayDub 05-06-2014 09:00 PM

Thanks so much for the quick reply and very helpful advice

TigervTeMar 05-06-2014 09:46 PM

agree 100% about a trainer. Like you I've owned dogs but have my first GSD. HUGE difference when I brought the trainer on board

edit - let me also add congrats! your puppy is going to love those hundreds of acres :)

KZoppa 05-06-2014 09:59 PM

Please don't use the term vicious to describe an 8 week old puppy. She's not vicious. She's a puppy and a GSD puppy at that. They're mouthy. Some more so than others but still not anything to be called vicious. Determined or stubborn, maybe. Vicious, not so much.

Bring in a trainer to help you. You'll get there.

KayDub 05-06-2014 10:13 PM

Thank you! I wish I could actually take her to some classes or hire a trainer. I've inquired around about it but I live in such a rural area everything I've found is a 4+ hr drive. I believe im going to have to watch these recommend videos & use my own experience of training other dogs I've owned. If anyone has advice on nutrition I'd also appreciate as to what I should maybe look for in food or what I can concoct myself to help her grow strong. As I dont live near any petco and such, even wal-mart is nearly a 2hr round trip lol.

KayDub 05-06-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KZoppa (Post 5482282)
Please don't use the term vicious to describe an 8 week old puppy. She's not vicious. She's a puppy and a GSD puppy at that. They're mouthy. Some more so than others but still not anything to be called vicious. Determined or stubborn, maybe. Vicious, not so much.

Bring in a trainer to help you. You'll get there.

Well I didn't mean vicious as in horrifically violent simply just a term. It's a bit more than mouthy as all pups any breed or mix are mouthy she breaks skin. I also wish I could bring a trainer in there just simply aren't any where I live. Even a class for all breeds of dog would suffice me if they existed in my area.

Twyla 05-06-2014 10:21 PM

Here is something to get you started:

Training Positive | Dog Training Explained links to videos etc

Also, a video rental service: BowWowFlix.com: Dog DVD Rentals | Dog Training Dvd | Dog Dvds | Rent Dog Videos - works like Netflix used to.

Leerburg Dog Training | 17,500 pages of dog training information, 750 free dog training streaming videos, free eBooks, podcasts, by Ed Frawley and Michael Ellis - Micheal Ellis videos

Which part of KY are you in? Some on here may have a suggestion for you.

KZoppa 05-06-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayDub (Post 5482442)
Well I didn't mean vicious as in horrifically violent simply just a term. It's a bit more than mouthy as all pups any breed or mix are mouthy she breaks skin. I also wish I could bring a trainer in there just simply aren't any where I live. Even a class for all breeds of dog would suffice me if they existed in my area.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRy...0SZNRyq1iVda5g

far as her breaking the skin, she just needs to learn that putting her mouth on you equals no more fun. Some pups really are very stubborn about it and need constant reminders. Mouth on your means a time out. Make sure to carry a couple toys with you so when she starts to go for you, you can shove a toy in her face instead. Its about teaching her to redirect appropriately. She'll get there. Just time and patience and above all, consistency.

Far as food goes, puppy food is okay but switching her to a large breed adult food when she's about 6 months old is what I'd recommend myself, as will several others, I'm sure. You don't want her growing too quickly and the large breed adult is formulated to control her growth better. If you feed RAW, that should be fine, just remember to adjust for weight gain.

You can find some puppy mouthing horror stories on here with a simple search lol. Some never thought it would end and were pleasantly surprised when they realized it did. She may become more mouthy when she starts teething too so just be warned there. GSDs are a mouthy and vocal breed. My boy almost always has a ball in his mouth and my girl usually has a bone in hers that she's constantly knowing on.

KayDub 05-06-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twyla (Post 5482458)
Here is something to get you started:

Training Positive | Dog Training Explained links to videos etc

Also, a video rental service: BowWowFlix.com: Dog DVD Rentals | Dog Training Dvd | Dog Dvds | Rent Dog Videos - works like Netflix used to.

Leerburg Dog Training | 17,500 pages of dog training information, 750 free dog training streaming videos, free eBooks, podcasts, by Ed Frawley and Michael Ellis - Micheal Ellis videos

Which part of KY are you in? Some on here may have a suggestion for you.

Thank you so much! I am in the very eastern parts of Kentucky almost bordering the West Virginia line. Places like Lexington & Louisville are 3+ hrs away.