German Shepherds Forum banner

My first GSD any advice welcomed

2K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  KayDub 
#1 ·
I have a 2 month old GSD I got from a local breeder. No papers but I met mom & dad on site. I am a first time GSD owner always had Australian Shepherds. Ive quickly learned this girl is just as highly intelligent. She seems to take to some obedience training when she wants of course speaks on command is potty trained. She's a vicous little bitter loves to rip your pants, she often wants to play with my old girl but my aussie just doesnt have the energy in her. I also work just a few hrs a day & have to kennel her I live on a few hundred acres but im afraid to let her roam shes so young. Any ideas on how to help her viciousness, how to help teach her the boundaries of my land or make the kennel a more tolerable experience, also any games we can play outside that she may like to make up for my old dogs lack of energy?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Please don't use the term vicious to describe an 8 week old puppy. She's not vicious. She's a puppy and a GSD puppy at that. They're mouthy. Some more so than others but still not anything to be called vicious. Determined or stubborn, maybe. Vicious, not so much.

Bring in a trainer to help you. You'll get there.

#7 ·
Well I didn't mean vicious as in horrifically violent simply just a term. It's a bit more than mouthy as all pups any breed or mix are mouthy she breaks skin. I also wish I could bring a trainer in there just simply aren't any where I live. Even a class for all breeds of dog would suffice me if they existed in my area.

#6 ·
Thank you! I wish I could actually take her to some classes or hire a trainer. I've inquired around about it but I live in such a rural area everything I've found is a 4+ hr drive. I believe im going to have to watch these recommend videos & use my own experience of training other dogs I've owned. If anyone has advice on nutrition I'd also appreciate as to what I should maybe look for in food or what I can concoct myself to help her grow strong. As I dont live near any petco and such, even wal-mart is nearly a 2hr round trip lol.

#8 ·
Here is something to get you started:

Training Positive | Dog Training Explained links to videos etc

Also, a video rental service: BowWowFlix.com: Dog DVD Rentals | Dog Training Dvd | Dog Dvds | Rent Dog Videos - works like Netflix used to.

Leerburg Dog Training | 17,500 pages of dog training information, 750 free dog training streaming videos, free eBooks, podcasts, by Ed Frawley and Michael Ellis - Micheal Ellis videos

Which part of KY are you in? Some on here may have a suggestion for you.

#11 ·
KZoppa Thanks to you & Twyla those videos are just the thing I need to help. Since joining the site I've seen lots of people become overwhelmed with the nipping & bitting problem. I've lost a few pants to the situation but I have been replacing my limbs for toys & letting her know when she bites too hard hopefully persistence pays off sooner than later.

My vet had recommended iams to replace soft food, as she was bottle fed since I got her at 4wks & she wouldnt take to a bowl at all but I seen a lot of people had a different opinion. Her mother having milk disease & not knowing when my breeder truly weaned her I became probably a little over concerned about nutrition.

#13 ·
Well she appears healthy in the pictures so I don't think nutrition is really a problem. She likely was getting adequate nutrition through the bottle feedings. Personally, I wouldn't recommend IAMS but it's up to you what you want to feed. Higher quality foods will help her have a better coat and skin as well as appropriate energy. IAMS is like feeding Purina because it's corn based. Corn is bad energy basically. It's a filler. Nutritionally, it's considered okay but I prefer meat based *first ingredient meat, 2nd and 3rd meat ideally or meat based like chicken meal*. Provides better more controlled energy, digested properly. Corn based products tend to zip through the dogs digestive track and leave larger piles in your yard.

The nipping and biting isn't unusual for the breed as a puppy. Some puppies are absolutely horrible. I've seen posts where people ask if their puppy is some sort of blood thirsty monster. Look up flirt poles. Live savers for some. Really easy to make yourself too.

#12 ·
LOL, I thought that first picture looked like a younger pup.

You will probably need to teach bite inhibition because your pup did not get the opportunity to learn that from his litter. There are some threads on that.

I live out in the boonies too. I have found some trainers who also live out here. Right now I travel about 45 minutes each way for dog classes. There may be someone in your neighborhood, have you tried googling dog trainers and some of your local towns?

#14 ·
Yes that first picture is her around 4wks when I brought her home. I've tried to google as well as post in a thread I seen on here of someone looking into things like that in KY. I may go to a neighboring town thats quite bigger & see if I cant find someone through the shelters & clinics there.

KZoppa that flirt pole may be a life saver for me too! She loves to jump & grab often wants me to nearly pick her up off the floor when playing tug with a rope. Definitely going to make one of those!!

Attachments

#15 ·
We used to call my puppy the snappy alligator when we first brought her home because she was so mouthy! At first I wondered if I was ever going to be able to pet her without feeling the wrath of her little puppy teeth. We read a few articles on bite inhibition and every time she nipped we started saying "OWWWW!" in kind of a squeal/yelp sounding voice. Then we ignored her for a few minutes. She got the message. She's only four months old and sometimes she still nips, but she never puts pressure anymore. Baby steps :)

#17 ·
Just read through all of these posts.

Yes indeed --- 4 weeks was WAY TOO early to bring her home. In many states law requires pups to stay with breeder til 8 weeks. Mom and siblings teach each other to inhibit biting through play. Puppy gets over zealous with teeth the other pups squael and stop playing. But you have her now so you get to be the other pups! They don't call GSD puppies land sharks for nothing!

I was going to ask you where you were in KY. I used to live in Berea until 2003. I drove to Lexington to train at Best Friends Obedience but you are right, even Lexington is a haul for you. There is a nice breeder/ trainer in Winchester but that may actually be as far or farther. I imagine Morgantown WV is also pretty far.

My son used to drive ministocks and race at Paintsville, really in the middle of no where!

#18 ·
Thnaks for all the great advice on the bitting issue everyone. I wish she could have stayed with her mom & littermates longer. Unfortunately the mom ended up hospitalized out of her nine pups Sable is one of three to survive. I guess I could have backed out of getting her, but she was already mine in my heart. We are going to try the flirt pole today!

#20 ·
I saw this last night and thought that was the cutest lil fuzzy butt puppy I've ever seen!

Welcoming you and wishing you all the best through your journey with the new critter!

Look forward to hearing about your adventures and seeing more pictures!

<3

#22 ·
Thanks everyone, the flirt pole was a big success. We spent an hour outside playing with that thing. It was a very good recommendation I would advise anyone else facing the same situation of a hyperactive nipping pup thats starting to overwhelm you to give it a shot. My sable has at least wore herself down & is now taking a nice nap!

#23 ·
Thanks everyone, the flirt pole was a big success. We spent an hour outside playing with that thing. It was a very good recommendation I would advise anyone else facing the same situation of a hyperactive nipping pup thats starting to overwhelm you to give it a shot. My sable has at least wore herself down & is now taking a nice nap!

Ah the magic of the flirt pole! Always helps! The beauty of a flirt pole is it can used for many things. Drive building, exercise, something they're allowed to bite and be rough with, tug, etc. AND you can change out the toys at the end. One day it could be a rolled rag, the next it can be a durable toy and back and forth.

remember, puppies are a lot like kids. The more tired they are, the more they'll act out too. Sometimes putting the shark in the crate for a break can result in them slipping off into a nap while you catch a glimpse of what it was like to not have a crazed flesh seeking beast trying to chew its way through your pant legs to the owner shrieking fun protected by said pant legs!

#24 ·
That's exactly what I did too. I tied an old rag from the barn to it she seems to be super intrigued by by shreds of clothes. I will switch out to a toy when I purchase some proper ones for it. I've started to notice more of my pants have been ripped by her than what I thought. For some reason she loves to act like a mop attached to my leg scooting through the house. I'll post picture later of the magic this flirt pole has done for me. Thanks again for the wonderful idea I had never heard of it before!

#25 ·
Welcome and congrats on your puppy! This is a great forum and we've learned tons here. We have our first GSD as well, he is 8 months now. A kong filled with canned pumpkin, a little peanut butter, and kibble and frozen is great for teething and a great treat in general. I give my boy one every morning actually. We did the yelping thing and that worked great for biting. And this thing I think is wonderful, it is still one of his favorite toys and is near indestructible

Amazon.com: Smarter Toys IQ Treat Ball Dog Toy, 5 Inches (Colors may vary): Pet Supplies

Good luck with the puppy, congrats!

#26 ·
Welcome and congrats on your puppy! This is a great forum and we've learned tons here. We have our first GSD as well, he is 8 months now. A kong filled with canned pumpkin, a little peanut butter, and kibble and frozen is great for teething and a great treat in general. I give my boy one every morning actually. We did the yelping thing and that worked great for biting. And this thing I think is wonderful, it is still one of his favorite toys and is near indestructible

Amazon.com: Smarter Toys IQ Treat Ball Dog Toy, 5 Inches (Colors may vary): Pet Supplies

Good luck with the puppy, congrats!

yes!

definitely lots of appropriate things for her to chew on. That'll help as well. Shasta LOVES kongs. Dax, not anywhere near Shasta's level of love but he'll entertain himself with a frozen kong for a little bit.

#29 ·
Good find!

I know I drive nearly 2 hours one way for training myself and I do it twice a week. But that is me. Not everyone can or wants to do that.

#30 ·
Thanks everyone, Im definitely going to check out those kongs I've seen lots of people use them.
Pikeville is much better for me as im so close to Paintsville already. For those of you from KY I currently reside in west liberty I'm sure you'll recognize my general area at least since my town was one decimated entirely by that tornado that ripped through the east 2yrs back.

Has anyone heard of K9 command center, a guy named Tom Gladeau? It's in Ashland which is also doable for me. I'll check out that Daphne's cannine academy as well. I can make that drive too.

#32 ·
I'm really glad I joined everyone has given me such great advice. All the links and suggestions have been an incredible help. As this is my second dog as an adult & my first GSD I really needed the opinions of others to get through some tough situations.

The flirt pole was such a success I'm going to look tomorrow while I'm out for a kong or treat ball. My little girl could really use something a bit more stimulating & chew friendly than the basic toys I have. Hopefully I can share some cute video of her experiencing these new things to give us all some laughs. Thanks again everyone for your time & advice.

#33 ·
I have 6 kongs, a bucket of toys just for the dogs *Dax mainly*, a flirt pole, they have a cabinet in the kitchen next to the sink strictly for all their treats and bones and other chewie things, and they have a section in the freezer just for their raw treats.

GSDs get spoiled rotten. You cant help it. You've been warned! lol

#34 ·
I'm in trouble then! lol my aussie already had her own toy barrel that she would take from & put toys back (shes such a great dog) plus a laundry basket in my pantry full of treats. In the 5wks that I've had this new little girl everything has tripled. Once she starts showing her personality more & learning tricks I may have to give up the spare bedroom for dog related stuff. I would happily do it though, below is her newest obsession.

Attachments

#35 ·
I'm in trouble then! lol my aussie already had her own toy barrel that she would take from & put toys back (shes such a great dog) plus a laundry basket in my pantry full of treats. In the 5wks that I've had this new little girl everything has tripled. Once she starts showing her personality more & learning tricks I may have to give up the spare bedroom for dog related stuff. I would happily do it though, below is her newest obsession.

LOL Oh no!!!! Shoe diving!!!! I'm still trying to break Dax of that one. He's obsessed with shoes I haven't worn in about 2 years. Their only purpose anymore is to keep the bedroom door propped open so the cats done accidentally get locked in. Shoes are still in good shape to be worn if I wanted to but I need new laces because he's apparently learned a que from Shasta on only killing the laces. I caught him wearing one of my shoes on his head as a puppy. Walked straight into a wall. I laughed so hard I couldn't breath.

Giving up the spare room for the dogs sounds reasonable lol :wild:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.