New Here. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Here.

Hey ya'll, as you can see I am just starting out on this forum. My name is Cassidy and I'm 16-years-old getting ready to purchase my first GSD ever. I've always wanted one and after tons of research regarding their health, grooming, and personalities, I found a breeder and will be getting my puppy in July. I joined this forum because I am still curious about this breed and can hopefully get advice so I can raise my GSD right the first time. I do have some questions right now and I hope we can know each other better.

What are the pros and cons to socializing your puppy?- I know that you should socialize your puppy so it doesn't become a mad dog as it ages, but I also don't want a dog that will just wag its tail when someone breaks into my house. Is there such thing as socializing your puppy too much?

Negative or positive training?- There are two dog trainers around my area. One is a positive trainer, the other is a negative trainer. Both trainers are highly experienced, but I there are sayings that negative training weakens the bond between you and your dog.

Male or female?- What are the differences between a male and female? I read that females are more protective, but males are more aggressive towards strangers. I also heard that males are more affectionate to their owners than females. I am a very cuddly person and would want a dog that loves to snuggle and not be independent toward me.

Is the price right? The price I'm paying for my GSD is $1,200. I want to make sure I'm not being ripped off. Both of the GSD parents where I getting my puppy from have great personalities(though the female is a little on the hyper side). They have passed various training classes and are friendly dogs. My only concern is the female has a under bite and she has a tiny percent of inbreeding in her pedigree.

Here's the female- Miss Ella von Morgen Haus

Here's the male- Apollo vom Stormie's Zwinger

If you guys can answer this, I'd be grateful.
iLittleMiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The puppy place forum has lots of great tips and can answer many of your questions.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh thank you, but I still concerned about the last question....
iLittleMiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't know how to read pedigree charts with any expertise but it looks pretty reasonable to me...$1200 doesn't seem like a rip off at all.

My vote is for a female.....they tend to stay home a bit more than dogs....but I could easily own a dog as well.

Negative or positive training...I vote for both.

Socializing a dog is important...regardless.

You have to be excited, getting a GSD puppy. All your hard work will be rewarded with this breed.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

What are the pros and cons to socializing your puppy? Socialize with humans and dogs. Period. Dogs know when someone is harming you or intending ill in your home. Socializing does not make your dog be every stranger's best friend. Socializing helps reduce fearfulness and reactiveness though.

Negative or positive training?- Positive.

Male or female?- Males are like having a baby and their minds mature eventually. Females are more serious earlier. They are not like children, they are your best girlfriend. You establish an adult relationship based on trust, understanding, and some compromise and they will work their hearts out for you. There have been times in my life where having a baby appeals to the need to nurture and love, and there are times where my bestie and I have made a kick butt team and I wouldn't trade the negotiations or the friendship for anything. If you want to have a baby who will eventually grow into a more or less adult son, it's the boy. If you want a devoted best friend who will challenge your bad decisions and celebrate your good ones, it's the girl. Males are way more forgiving while girls it is all based on respect going both ways. Hope this helps.

Is the price right? A well bred animal from a breeder that health tests and backs their puppies is easily worth that amount.
Cara Fusinato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

They say that a well socialized, friendly GSD is most likely to protect his/her master. I believe it.
I, personally, prefer males. My two guys are very clingy with me; they don't get excited for anybody else, they don't want anybody else, only me. I can go hiking in the woods with them (off-leash), and they'll follow me everywhere. They want to be wherever I am, and will destroy the world to get to me. (Don't think I put that right...)
I vote positive training. It's fun for you and the puppy. Clicker training is great, and once they know what the clicker means, they can learn new stuff in minutes, maybe even seconds!
I agree, $1,200 sounds normal.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Socialize early and often! I started with puppy classes, Rally O and that type of thing. Your pup will love it and you will meet great people. Good luck and congrats on the little one
Old 05-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

$1,200 is not a rip off price, expect to pay between $1,200-$2,000 for a nice working line puppy.

Socializing is extremely important. My GSD is extremely friendly and loves everyone but he protected me when 2 crackheads approached me in my alley years ago.

I very much prefer males, hands down. They say that male dogs tend to bond more with female owners and female dogs bond more to male owners and I 100% believe it. My males are obsessed with me, they always have to be with me, I am their world and their favorite thing. The bond between my male GSD and I is incredible.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Agreed LaRen females bond with men more and males bond with women.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.