German Shepherds Forum banner

Hello - new GSD parent from New Zealand

467 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MaggieRoseLee 
#1 ·
Hello, I am from New Zealand, 3 months ago my partner and I adopted 5 month old German Shepherd -Skye - from our local animal shelter. She was surrendered by a breeder as she had mange and a beautiful star shaped patch of white fur on her chest which I understand is not the breed standard. She is a short coated dog.
Skye is not our first GSD - we also are proud parents to an almost 11 year old GSD female (also a rescue dog) who is a model dog and is like teddy bear! (She is a medium length coat, I think this is called a 'plush coat' but I'm not sure!). We also have 4 beautiful cats (all rescue also) and I must admit that I've always been a 'cat person' - I have not grown up with dogs but have always liked them (although not the love that I have for my girls!).

Now my Skye is 8 months and is going through patch of very naughty behaviour which I understand from these forums is fairly typical - I have a LOT to learn and am very keen for any tips or guidance anyone may have for my very first time as a real dog parent!

#2 ·
First tip: Your not the dogs parent ;). She is a dog not a furry child, treat her as such and you will both be more happy and fulfilled.

Not trying to be mean but this type of thinking is very common and leads to many of the easily avoided/fixable behavior issues you see on here and in real life every day.

Have fun with your new dog.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum and proud of you for posting@!

These pups can be very very challenging for most of us. Hopefully you've been able to get thru alot of the http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...191183-top-training-expectations-puppies.html and http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-time-owner/165774-gsd-puppy-primer-tips.html sites. I have a 4 month old puppy and am wandering thru them myself.

Have you got any great trainers in your area? HUGE help to get someone who'd trained many puppies to help us. Learning is more fun for dog and handler :)

Here's showing after class from just a few weeks ago!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.