German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   New Member (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/441577-new-member.html)

keb 04-22-2014 12:08 PM

Hello to all. Love this site, it has a lot of information for me. I've had dogs my entire life, Collies,Saint Benards and Boxers for the last 20 years. Always wanted a GSD and now the times right. I hope to learn a lot!

LaRen616 04-22-2014 12:13 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Are you looking for a working line GSD or a showline GSD?

keb 04-22-2014 12:25 PM

That's something I haven't decided on yet, and hope to get the info I need here to make up my mind. My dogs are my constant companions. We are never separated much. I'm lucky that they can go with me pretty much anywhere I go. I like a middle of the road type dog, not a couch potato. I don't think a high drive and energy dog would fit my lifestyle, but I am use to the energy level of Boxers, so I'm kinda torn between a show and working line. My most important concern is health, and this dog will be my first as far as diet. I will be feeding a raw diet. How do energy levels compare to Boxers?

Espa 04-22-2014 12:26 PM

Hi,

Always had GSD, so I'm probably biased. You can't find a better dog, however establish yourself early or they'll completely take advantage.

Of course I'm typing this while looking at my slug sprawled out on the couch. Lol

Gretchen 04-22-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keb (Post 5413689)
That's something I haven't decided on yet, and hope to get the info I need here to make up my mind. My dogs are my constant companions. We are never separated much. I'm lucky that they can go with me pretty much anywhere I go. I like a middle of the road type dog, not a couch potato. I don't think a high drive and energy dog would fit my lifestyle, but I am use to the energy level of Boxers, so I'm kinda torn between a show and working line. My most important concern is health, and this dog will be my first as far as diet. I will be feeding a raw diet. How do energy levels compare to Boxers?

From what I've seen Boxers have higher energy, but even with a higher energy GSD I think you'd be able to focus it's energy better. You sound like the perfect owner for a GSD since you enjoy having your dog with you as much as you can. GSDs are so loyal, they will love to be you too!

Espa 04-22-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keb (Post 5413689)

Hi keb,

I didn't think much about the white spot, partly because shepherds have a chest patch and also between the shoulders, also because the color of puppies is rarely the color of the adult dog.

This post says you don't want a working dog or show dog but a companion dog. To me, GSD fits all. Like any dog they need to go out but are perfectly happy and fit with all lifestyles. If you're active, constantly on the go, they'll keep up with you, but are just as happy laying around. They're like wash and wear, ready for anything.

Espa 04-22-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 5413753)
From what I've seen Boxers have higher energy, but even with a higher energy GSD I think you'd be able to focus it's energy better. You sound like the perfect owner for a GSD since you enjoy having your dog with you as much as you can. GSDs are so loyal, they will love to be you too!

My foster grandparents had two boxers. They were great, but not as, hmm, people oriented I guess? They were loving dogs, but pretty demanding and high energy. They were beautiful but to me anyway GSD is much easier.

HarleyTheGSD 04-22-2014 01:10 PM

It is possible to find good pet-quality German Shepherds from a breeder. Not bred to work, not bred to show, just meant to be family dogs. They may have less energy than the working line dogs. I, myself, have a pet-quality GSD as well as one from working/show bloodlines. The pet-line boy is active, but he is very well behaved and calm in the house. The working boy, he is a spaz, and I love it. :)

Espa 04-22-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5413937)
It is possible to find good pet-quality German Shepherds from a breeder. Not bred to work, not bred to show, just meant to be family dogs. They may have less energy than the working line dogs. I, myself, have a pet-quality GSD as well as one from working/show bloodlines. The pet-line boy is active, but he is very well behaved and calm in the house. The working boy, he is a spaz, and I love it. :)

I don't know, maybe both I guess but largely how it's raised I think. If you want a show dog then I think really a lot is based on lines. Not so much the dog itself but judges look at the lineage of the dog. I don't think its fair, but I really don't care because I'm not involved in that. I also don't believe the, has to be from a working line. Do puppies come out of the womb herding? I think it's all what they are doing as far as raising. I think the whole pet quality thing is bs to be honest. Lol

If you have a working dog that doesn't chill, it's because he's been trained to always be active, it's who he is. I think it has much less to do with the breeder and much more to do with how they're raised,

HarleyTheGSD 04-22-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espa (Post 5414017)
I don't know, maybe both I guess but largely how it's raised I think. If you want a show dog then I think really a lot is based on lines. Not so much the dog itself but judges look at the lineage of the dog. I don't think its fair, but I really don't care because I'm not involved in that. I also don't believe the, has to be from a working line. Do puppies come out of the womb herding? I think it's all what they are doing as far as raising. I think the whole pet quality thing is bs to be honest. Lol

If you have a working dog that doesn't chill, it's because he's been trained to always be active, it's who he is. I think it has much less to do with the breeder and much more to do with how they're raised,

I agree, the way one raises a dog shapes who he/she is. But, at the end of the day, genetics play the biggest role in the temperament of a dog. Working GSDs are generally bred for their high energy and drives. It will take a lot more than simple obedience training to keep these dogs calm, they need a lot of vigorous exercice, for they are bred for sport.