German Shepherds Forum banner

Greetings from Texas – Introducing Duke

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Kayos and Havoc 
#1 ·
Meet Duke, born September 1, 2012. Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke…how to describe Duke. I would say he is quite a character, and I, for one, think he has excellent taste in toys.

The first two pictures are of Duke as a three month old puppy.

And the last one is what he looks like now.

Unfortunately, I no longer have pictures of Duke between the ages of three months and 14 months, as they were lost in The Great Crash of 2013.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Gorgeous dog!

I am not in the Dallas area, but I have been meaning to take a trip there and explore the state parks around that area. I will definitely take note of your recommendation. Looks wonderful!

In Texas, I have personally only been to the state parks near Houston, Galveston, Austin, El Paso, and San Antonio.

This picture is from Brazos Bend near Houston. Warning: they have alligators (large ones at that).

Attachments

#9 ·
We asked the handler if we could adopt that particular alligator in the picture with the promise to return it once it stopped being cute OR ate the neighbor's Chihuahua (whichever came first). It got a laugh, but apparently, the handler thought we were serious. o_O

#10 ·
That's awesome! I actually used to live about 5 miles from Brazos Bend park and helped put in the flower beds around the front gatehouse. The alligators definitely surprised us a few times when we would turn a corner and find one laid out across the path, but as long as they didn't bother us, we didn't bother them. :p

#12 ·
I lived there almost all my childhood until I was about 19, then moved to Dallas. I got pretty used to walking the trails at Brazos Bend. :) I'm originally from Louisiana, so the swampy/bayou type areas are most familiar to me. It was a huge environmental shock when I got to Dallas the first time and there wasn't a swamp in sight!

#15 ·
Hi Again!

I’d like to thank you all kindly for the compliments.

Something similar happened to us at Brazos Bend. We were once spooked by an alligator. Two things happened: (1) I nearly had a heart attack, (2) Duke heals perfectly on command now. I am eternally grateful that alligators are not like crocodiles. Otherwise this would have been a very different story (I’m thinking that Duke would have made an expensive snack and I would have suffered a massive coronary).

Does Dinosaur Valley state park have dinosaur tracks? If so, are they easily accessible? I went to a park near San Antonio that had a few—getting to them was easy, but so was missing them. You would have to know what you were looking for and where to look.

Here are two pictures of the dinosaur tracks we viewed.

I have only ever visited one city in Louisiana, and it was New Orleans. Loved it! After watching the first season of HBO’s Treme, I became increasingly curious about NOLA (watching Kermit perform is now on my bucket list). :wub:

Attachments

#16 ·
Dinosaur Valley has quite a few tracks, mostly centered around the river, but there are some along the trails as well. The only ones that are really pointed out are the clusters along the river, but it's not too hard to spot the ones along the trail as long as you're looking for them.

Besides the ones on the trails, there are many, many more if you are willing to explore off the trail just a bit. There are tons of rock shelves, formations, and little cavern type areas that are tons of fun to explore. Kaiju loves sniffing the caverns and rock clusters, and holds a beautiful down stay while I climb the higher rock shelves and faces. :)

I don't think I've ever had a gator turn even a curious eye at me, so I haven't worried about it much, just keep my distance. Maybe I'm getting too complacent. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.