Hello From S.W Missouri! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello From S.W Missouri!

Hello everyone, I don't have a GSD yet, I'm still in the hunting phase. I've been lurking around here for a few days reading articles and pandering about, and thought it was time I introduced myself!

I'm 24, my husband will be 30 in June. My husband grew up with a GSD who would follow him through **** or high water. She was a stray but she latched right onto him. He said she'd growl at people other than him, but I think maybe that was more from her circumstance than it was a GSD trait entirely. He mentioned she was very much a one person dog. I'd like the dog we get to love and bond both him and me and not be growling at strangers. I figure this is part of the puppy socialization/meeting new people and new things.

My husband and I live near Branson, and are looking for a GSD to join our family. We're thinking of getting a puppy. We have ferrets and even though we can keep everyone separate we'd like to train the dog to see them as part of the pack and not as a tasty snack.

I've been trying to find a good breeder, but it seems most are so far away. I did message crooked creek on Facebook with some general questions, I noticed a few owners on here recommended her. We'd like a Black and Tan pup, but I think personality and temperament are more important than color.

I know we can buy a pup online and have it shipped, but that just seems so odd to me, shipping a puppy! I think I'd rather find someone in a near by state or in missouri that I could go to, or meet half way. I'd really like to be able to go, and see the dogs, and the area and things like that.

I'm so excited to be here! We most likely won't be getting a pup until the end of this year/next year so that I have time to save up money for all the vet visits, adoption, toys and crates and so on. I know puppy's are usually ~1400 with a 300$ deposit. I understand it's hard to put a price on a puppy, and that isn't the main "goal" of a good breeder, but money is part of the equation and it'd help to know just how much I'll need.
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Good luck in your puppy search!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcome mary beth! It's so fun to read everyone's stories and oogle pictures here while I'm in the middle area!

I'm really thinking I want to train my pup to do *SOMETHING* but I'm not sure. There is training club about an hour away that does different events. I'm looking at obedience classes. Agility looks fun, but I don't think we have the stuff to practice with around the home.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome! I'm in the Ozarks and have had a great experience with the Springfield, MO Dog Training Club. Is that the one you're looking at?
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes it is! How reassuring!

Can I ask if you got your gsd as a pup or from a rescue? you're the first person I've met in this area.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I got Cafall as a pup from vom Heinolf German Shepherds in AR. Sorry to be so long in responding. I totally lost track of this thread.
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can highly recommend Kestler Kennels. Our boy came from there and has an unbelievable temperament. Everyone who meets him comments on how beautiful he is and how well behaved and socialized he is.

Their website is linked below, although I don't think they are anticipating having any litters until the end of the year.

Home Page
Attached Thumbnails
Hello From S.W Missouri!-p1060307.jpg  
Odin's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.