New to site - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to site

Hi everyone I'm new to this site!. Just bought my first GSD her name is Roxy and she is 9 weeks today! my first question i have been taking her out every hr to pee and at night every two. When do you think I can let her sleep through the night?
Roxysmom77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome! Everyone will have different experiences, but I stopped waking my puppy at 10 weeks. By then, I noticed that his bladder was strong enough to last the night.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Curtis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxysmom77 View Post
Hi everyone I'm new to this site!. Just bought my first GSD her name is Roxy and she is 9 weeks today! my first question i have been taking her out every hr to pee and at night every two. When do you think I can let her sleep through the night?
As Curtis noted, every pup is different. Just slowly increase the time between your potty breaks. Chances are the pup will let you know when you've started to push her limits.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I never deliberately woke my puppy up as I'm a very light sleeper so if he woke up and cried I would get up right away and take him out. Some nights he would sleep through the night, sometimes it was one time, sometimes it was 2-3x. I limited his water before bed and made sure he was good and tired, and then it was a small treat and sip of water and into bed for the night. By the time he was 4 months he was pretty consistently sleeping through the night

My poodle on the other hand slept through the night from day 1 at home at 9 weeks old.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

when my guy was 8-10 weeks it was 2-3x a night and he's now almost 15wks and I'll still let him out once at night. he might be able to last but now that he's allowed to sleep on carpet I don't want to risk him starting to pee inside again
Old 04-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I never deliberately woke my puppy up as I'm a very light sleeper so if he woke up and cried I would get up right away and take him out. Some nights he would sleep through the night, sometimes it was one time, sometimes it was 2-3x. I limited his water before bed and made sure he was good and tired, and then it was a small treat and sip of water and into bed for the night. By the time he was 4 months he was pretty consistently sleeping through the night

My poodle on the other hand slept through the night from day 1 at home at 9 weeks old.
This is the only time I wish I was a light sleeper. I would sleep through a tornado, and so I had to do the same thing as the OP initially with my pup.

Oh and as far as time frame, Apsel was probably 10-12 weeks when he was able to hold it through the night, but I didn't fully trust him until a little bit later. He's a big drinker too, never had a pup drink as much as he does.

Last edited by ApselBear; 04-01-2014 at 12:13 PM.
ApselBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.