Hello from California. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2014, 04:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hello from California.

So I just got a 5 month GSD.

He's pretty awesome for the most part, took the change of families well, smart as a whip, gentle for the most part etc. Issue is that he is pretty fearful, I'd guess a case of under socialization, he lived in a quiet neighborhood with a yard, I live in the middle of San Diego with next to no yard.

Right now I've had Hondo for about four days, he's JUST starting to warm up and act like a puppy, so I'm giving him a couple weeks before I go looking for a trainer. I've had a pile of large working dogs, a German, Shilo and King Sherperds, Coroso, Rotti, etc. This is the first time I've had one that was skittish, so I'm in new territory. My concern is that he's 55 pounds or so now at barely 5 months, he's going to be big, he's still all ears and paws. I don't want a dog of this size acting out of fear.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome and congrats on the new pup! Hopefully the skittish behavior is just part of adjusting to the new home and she'll settle in soon.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

don't worry about the skittishness. my puppy got over his fear of walking and cars very quickly. instead of howling during car rides he now sleeps or sits quietly in my arms, and on walks instead of running from cars he tries to chase them. just be patient and act like everything is always OK, don't cuddle him when he's afraid but just talk to him normally and scratch his head. his experience that things in uncomfortable situations always turn out OK are important. 5 months may mean his skittishness is more ingrained but he's still a young fellow. feel free to PM me at any time if you have questions. I'm no expert but my puppy was very excitable so we may be in the same boat for that.

Good luck with him!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigervTeMar View Post
don't worry about the skittishness. my puppy got over his fear of walking and cars very quickly. instead of howling during car rides he now sleeps or sits quietly in my arms, and on walks instead of running from cars he tries to chase them. just be patient and act like everything is always OK, don't cuddle him when he's afraid but just talk to him normally and scratch his head. his experience that things in uncomfortable situations always turn out OK are important. 5 months may mean his skittishness is more ingrained but he's still a young fellow. feel free to PM me at any time if you have questions. I'm no expert but my puppy was very excitable so we may be in the same boat for that.

Good luck with him!
It not cars or noises that he reacts to, its people and other dogs. He cowers enough from other animals to key them up. This includes running circles behind me. Granted there is an adjustment period, its something that I'm keeping an eye on.

I'm giving him a couple weeks, right now I'm still working on manners type stuff, leash training, sit, stay, and whatnot.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you're not familiar with leerburg.com you might want to check out some of their videos and articles about bringing a dog into the home. It covers the first two week adjustment period without stressing the dog.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.