German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   Greetings from Ireland (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/424994-greetings-ireland.html)

jinx 03-16-2014 07:45 AM

Greetings from Ireland

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

Have previously referred to this forum for different questions about my girl jinx so thought I might as well join :)

I'm in Cork, Ireland and Jinx is my 10 month old female GSD... She's my pride and joy :)

Anyway hope to chat to ye soon,
Dubheasa

Attachment 191386

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Loneforce 03-16-2014 08:10 AM

Welcome to you and Jinx!

fredh 03-16-2014 08:58 AM

Welcome from Canada! My Roots are Irish. Fathers side Cork (his Mother's Maiden Name Dagg, emigrated with her Family when she was 5, around 1920). And on my Mother's side, maiden name Mahoney her parents emigrated from Belfast. But unfortunately my Paternal Grandmother married an Englishman (Hunt) LOL!

counter 03-16-2014 09:19 AM

Welcome from the USA! My family is half Irish, half German. We named our 2nd (and youngest [so far]) daughter Eirinn Ciara, which are Irish and Scottish Gaelic names according to our research. My wife is mostly Irish, and we both love Irish history and culture. The pictures of Ireland look amazing. We'd love to come visit one day and trace our roots.

jinx 03-16-2014 09:20 AM

Hi loneforce and fredh,

Thanks for the welcome! And don't worry fredh-we can't be perfect or pure bred unlike our four legged friends ! haha :)

K9POPPY 03-16-2014 09:35 AM

Welcome, Jinx is a pretty girl and likes her new brush/comb!

jinx 03-16-2014 10:58 AM

Hi counter, yes Ciara (pronounced kir-ra ) is Gaelic and used in Ireland and Scotland (we've a lot in common names and language wise). Eirinn is a derivative of Eireann which is Ireland in Irish. 😊 nice to meet ya!

jinx 03-16-2014 10:59 AM

Hi k9poppy.. Yeah that's her furminator-the best comb I've ever come across-without it she sheds everywhere :-)

Shaolin 03-16-2014 11:19 AM

Welcome to the forums!

She is beautiful! Unlike the others that posted, I'm not Irish, but our GSD has an Irish name and his SAR commands are in Gaelic. :)

counter 03-16-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 5210290)
Hi counter, yes Ciara (pronounced kir-ra ) is Gaelic and used in Ireland and Scotland (we've a lot in common names and language wise). Eirinn is a derivative of Eireann which is Ireland in Irish. �� nice to meet ya!

Nice to meet you too! We found that it was easier for people over here in the US to pronounce Ciara versus Eirinn. They would say Erin instead, which is fine, because Erin stems from Eirinn originally. But for Kir-ra, they will say See-are-uh or See-air-uh, I guess because that's a more known and popular pronounciation. I believe there's some famous singer with the name Ciara, and she doesn't pronounce it Kir-ra. Oh well. We like our Kir-ra just the way it was meant to be, same with Ire-rinn (Eirinn).