German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   Greetings from OR (1st time GSD owner) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/424290-greetings-1st-time-gsd-owner.html)

April Dawn 03-14-2014 01:25 PM

Greetings from OR (1st time GSD owner)

2 Attachment(s)
Hello....I am a new member to this site and would like to introduce myself and my baby, MALAKAI...My name is April and reside on the beautiful Oregon Coast. 8 months ago my boyfriend and I were in search for either a Siberian Husky or German Shepherd puppy and came across our Malakai on Craig's List and fell in love almost instant. We were a little skeptical at first due to him being a cross breed of German Shepherd and Siberian Husky so we went to visit him and that was all it took; it was love at first sight! :wub: Malakai is now 10 months old and oh boy what a handful he is! :D He is a very very smart dog and trains very easily however he is very dominating and tries to be the ALPHA all the time but my boyfriend tells him otherwise :wild: He has this issue with NOT wanting to listen to me at all! UGH! It has been quite the adventure with teaching him "NO" and to "CALM" down LOL. Malakai is very hyper. The vet informed my boyfriend that he needs a lot of socialization and obedience due to him lunging at them while trying to get him sedated for his being neutered. I told them what do you expect; we bring him to a place that he does not know and have to rush him in a room and just leave him with strangers and being scared and nervous already! :rolleyes: (They didn't like that comment) He needs LOTS of exercise for sure and we do our best to take him to the beach almost every day to allow him to run...we can actually release him from his leash (when no one is around) and he will obey our every command! For the most part Malakai resembles the GSD very much however he has the one blue eye and is very very vocal like the Husky dog. We love our boy!!!

Shade 03-14-2014 01:31 PM

:welcome: Cool name and handsome pup! :)

counter 03-14-2014 01:34 PM

I've got 1 GSD and 2 huskies, and am in the process of adopting a 2nd GSD on March 28th.

A cross of both breeds...ha! You're gonna have your hands full. Feel free to PM me any questions you might have. I will do my best to help. I just moved from Portland, OR to ID. Love and miss the OR coast. Welcome to the forum!

mego 03-14-2014 01:40 PM

vocal like the husky? gsds are pretty bad too, so you are going to have one noisy pup :P

He's cute and enjoy him!!!!

counter 03-14-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mego (Post 5199890)
vocal like the husky? gsds are pretty bad too, so you are going to have one noisy pup :P

He's cute and enjoy him!!!!

Yeah, and my 2 huskies are actually very quiet, minus the occasional low, deep howling when they greet me after work. I can keep my huskies outside all day and they don't make any noise, even when dogs are being walked by, etc. It's my GSD that barks and stays indoors unless supervised. She wants to guard us from everything: the wind, grass, trees, squirrels, birds, other dogs, ghosts, etc. Haha. None of which are real threats. We joke that she can't last outside for more than 5 minutes without barking at something/anything. We've done all sorts of training, hired professional behaviorists, etc. She's gotten a lot better in our new house with the 6 ft privacy fence. In OR we had a chainlink fence and dogs on both sides of us that would be left out to run the fence with our dogs.

AshleyW 03-14-2014 01:48 PM

He is very handsome :)

April Dawn 03-14-2014 01:50 PM

Awwwww very sweet

April Dawn 03-14-2014 01:52 PM

Oh brother.....I don't know how much more vocal he can get LOL he is loud and obnoxious, I say, LOL but cute n funny....

April Dawn 03-14-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by counter (Post 5199842)
I've got 1 GSD and 2 huskies, and am in the process of adopting a 2nd GSD on March 28th.

A cross of both breeds...ha! You're gonna have your hands full. Feel free to PM me any questions you might have. I will do my best to help. I just moved from Portland, OR to ID. Love and miss the OR coast. Welcome to the forum!

I already do! LOL This boy is BUSY BUSY BUSY....I do have some questions that I will PM you about in a bit...thank you I appreciate having someone that I can ask...he is such a pleasure but man he definately can be stubborn too! HA

April Dawn 03-14-2014 01:59 PM

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome...I sure appreciate a place to come to for help with any questions or concerns with Malakai as I have never owned this breed before. I enjoy seeing and meeting all of you and your precious babies!