German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   Hello I'm new here! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/423050-hello-im-new-here.html)

Tatsuyoshi 03-12-2014 02:34 AM

Hello I'm new here!

Hello, I just signed up!

I joined this website to acquire information and to gain support. I was looking at getting a working line German Shepherd and would like to get a dog from a reputable breeder who breeds responsibly and has nice stable dogs. I have done my research and have handled dogs all my life but the only thing that I am not comfortable with is actually approaching the breeder for a dog! :eek:

You see, I have a mental disability that makes it difficult to talk to people sometimes. I am great with dogs, that's why I love them because they do not judge my lack of social skills. But the issue is I am not a good speaker and I am daunted by contacting breeders, especially through telephone or meeting them face to face. Email is good because, I can communicate best without getting shy or suffering from my speech impediments. Sadly, I have had bad experiences with breeders in the past because the ones I have contacted were quick to judge and turn me down...

I have looked around once more for a dog and there are a few breeders who seem to have good dogs but I am hesitant in contacting them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to contact a breeder and to convince them to take me seriously, despite my speech impediments?

Thanks
Tatsuyoshi

Stosh 03-12-2014 09:28 AM

Breeders are dog lovers too so they'll understand that you're more comfortable with dogs than people. Send an email explaining your circumstance and ask a family member, friend, teacher or someone else you trust to do the 'talking' for you. Good luck puppy hunting!

Shade 03-12-2014 09:54 AM

:welcome:

It can certainly be a little intimidating that's for sure :) What I did personally was write a short introduction for myself and asked the breeder if they felt a dog from their program would fit what I was looking for. I then took the replies and weeded them out from there and ended up with the one that I felt most comfortable with.

If you'd like to post your general location and what attributes you're looking for than people could give you recommendations for a list of breeders to start looking at.

Tatsuyoshi 03-13-2014 03:01 AM

Thank you for the welcome Stosh and Shade!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 5182522)
:welcome:

It can certainly be a little intimidating that's for sure :) What I did personally was write a short introduction for myself and asked the breeder if they felt a dog from their program would fit what I was looking for. I then took the replies and weeded them out from there and ended up with the one that I felt most comfortable with.

If you'd like to post your general location and what attributes you're looking for than people could give you recommendations for a list of breeders to start looking at.

Well I live in Western Australia but freighting is fine too. I was looking for a male sable dog with a nice calm, brave, outgoing temperament that is highly trainable. He would need reasonable energy - which I have no doubt because most working breeds I have come across have good energy levels - to go hiking, swimming, just walking around with me in general. I plan on dabbling in agility just for fun, and probably won't get into serious competition. I enjoy teaching dogs tricks. The dog would need to be friendly around people and other animals, but being suspicious of strange animals and people are good because I live on a farm, and sounding the alarm when a fox or stray dog when present is a good thing. It would be good if he had reasonable defense drive. Above all, I am looking for a confident, healthy, versatile dog to be my companion. I hope this makes sense. :)