Dakota from California! New member/Owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dakota from California! New member/Owner

Hoping some of you can direct me in the right direction with my new addition to the family.

My wife and I just got our 7 week old German Shepherd (Dakota) on 3/5/14. Were looking for some guidance on how to raise our puppy the right way and stay away from the myths.

Our last dog died from Parvo 10 months ago. So we are limited to a den (basic bedroom size room) for our pup until she has all her shots.

Any threads or videos I should watch would be very helpful. I have done a decent job at crate training her but trying to calm down the biting and potty training. Im currently using pee-pads and I have a few Kong toys.
TheDakotaShow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Had her first doctors visit yesterday.

Weight: 11lbs

First set of shots, along with dewormer.

Has round worms so currently feeding round worm meds.

Also, getting off of her horrible kibble n bits diet (last owner was feeding), currently feeding prescription diet for a week and will need to find a new food for her.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Welcome abaord !

My best advice: Get a crate and don't keep it in the same room that you sleep in.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Packman View Post
Welcome abaord !

My best advice: Get a crate and don't keep it in the same room that you sleep in.
Thanks, already did that. First two days she cried like crazy... She's a little better now. Still wake up every 2-3 hrs to let her pee. But she never makes it on the pad...smh
Old 03-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hello and welcome. You came to the right place for good information.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Hello and welcome. You came to the right place for good information.
I totally agree. Lots of good information here and it has really been a big help to me. Comming here and finding answers to questions before I even joined.
Taz's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 01:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did you know that in California, it's against the law to sell puppies under the age of 8 weeks? Where did you get this puppy? If it's from someone who feeds Kibbles n' Bits, I'm assuming it wasn't a reputable breeder.

If your last dog had Parvo only ten months ago, you're going to have your work cut out for you keeping your puppy from getting it. Parvo lasts in the environment for years, so you probably still have parvovirus hanging around your house and yard. Did you clean everything with bleach solution?

I just read that you're planning on keeping this puppy in a bedroom until her vaccine series is done at around 16 weeks? Tell me I misunderstood that.

Last edited by Freestep; 03-09-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 01:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Beautiful pup. Congrats and welcome!!
Redrider469 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 05:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Did you know that in California, it's against the law to sell puppies under the age of 8 weeks? Where did you get this puppy? If it's from someone who feeds Kibbles n' Bits, I'm assuming it wasn't a reputable breeder.

If your last dog had Parvo only ten months ago, you're going to have your work cut out for you keeping your puppy from getting it. Parvo lasts in the environment for years, so you probably still have parvovirus hanging around your house and yard. Did you clean everything with bleach solution?

I just read that you're planning on keeping this puppy in a bedroom until her vaccine series is done at around 16 weeks? Tell me I misunderstood that.
Didn't know that about California. luckily I didn't buy her?
Yes I'm aware about parvo. Unfortunately our last pup died from parvo. She did deficate and throw up on our laminate and outside on our patio. Which we cannot bleach. Im very scared of the parvo getting this new pup and am doing my best to prevent that again. By far one of the worst experiences of my life. But in reality parvo is everywhere. Any suggestions?

I wish you mis misunderstood that she's in a den. She's almost definitely going to out grow her space in a few weeks. Trying to work on a back up plan.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDakotaShow View Post
Didn't know that about California. luckily I didn't buy her?
Yes I'm aware about parvo. Unfortunately our last pup died from parvo. She did deficate and throw up on our laminate and outside on our patio. Which we cannot bleach. Im very scared of the parvo getting this new pup and am doing my best to prevent that again. By far one of the worst experiences of my life. But in reality parvo is everywhere. Any suggestions?

I wish you mis misunderstood that she's in a den. She's almost definitely going to out grow her space in a few weeks. Trying to work on a back up plan.
Why can't you bleach the laminate and the patio? One glug of bleach to a gallon of water should not harm the surfaces, but it will kill any parvovirus it comes into contact with. But in reality, you probably have virus embedded everywhere on the property--everywhere that dog stepped, he could have shed virus. Your carpets, your furniture, your walls. Your puppy is living in a land mine. All you can do at this point is clean everything with bleach, and pray.

I have to ask... what inspired you to get a vulnerable young puppy so soon after having a parvo dog in your household?

Honestly, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you can't lock a GSD in a bedroom until vaccines are complete. Puppies need to be trained and socialized, they need to get out and play and experience the world, and the window for this closes after a certain age. Believe me, you don't want an antisocial GSD that is afraid of everything, and the breed has a lot of problems with this in the first place.

Unfortunately, I have no more suggestions except maybe to let someone else raise and socialize the pup until she is fully vaccinated.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.