German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   First Dog - 4 year old GSD from Pound (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/419409-first-dog-4-year-old-gsd-pound.html)

Dogtracks 03-04-2014 02:35 PM

First Dog - 4 year old GSD from Pound

1 Attachment(s)
I've been around dogs all my life, but this is the first dog of my own. We got Hunter at a local animal shelter. He had been given up ... twice. I don't know the reason for the first time. The stated reason for the second time (after only 1 week) was that the dog didn't bark. Weird right?

We've had him since Thanksgiving. He barks, but not incessantly. He never leaves the yard even if the gate is left open (silly husband). He wants so badly to play with the cats, but they just hiss and spit at him. He only occasionally chases the chickens, but only because it's fun to see them scatter. He minds for the most part, but I don't think his prior people ever walked or played with him. He does not know how to fetch and won't often chase a ball.

The main problem is that he does not know how to walk on leash. I have him on a sort of half choke type collar. He just pulls until we are well into the walk. He will also lunge at everything from other dogs to llamas to horses. I can get him to stop with a "Leave it!" unless the dog runs up to him or the dog is large, aggressive and on the other side of a fence. Just meeting a dog is fine, he just wants to sniff and play, but if there is a fence, the hackles go up.

Any tips? I cannot afford obedience classes at the moment.

He is almost 80 pounds and very strong. He also pees like a girl dog. What's up with that?

Msmaria 03-04-2014 03:08 PM

Congratulations on your new guy.
Here is a link to a you tube video on heeling. This guy has some good training tips, we've used it to teach our dog tricks like getting a beer from the fridge. There's also lots of other you tub videos from other trainers.

How To Train Any Dog To Heel PERFECTLY! - YouTube

Jelpy 03-04-2014 03:15 PM

Congratulations. He's a looker. The peeing thing may simply be either that he's not a dominant personality. Lycan still squats sometimes but I prefer to think he's just very secure in his masculinity :)

Jelpy

fredh 03-04-2014 03:22 PM

Jake pees like a Girl too. At least that way none gets on his Paws!

SiegersMom 03-04-2014 03:35 PM

...on the peeing thing. If marking territory mine hikes and pees...if he going out just to use the bathroom he stretches out and pees. Sometimes it takes a long time so I think he would fall over if hiking:) A prong collar would help with the lunging and pulling but read up on using them first. Much better then a choke collar you just don't want to pull constantly. They look painful but all it does is use even pressure. put in around your leg and give it a tug. I have and it just twists the skin and did not hurt. Short fast correction...most learn pretty fast. Studies have shown less damage to the neck and throat with a prong than by dogs using choke collars. Carry some tasty treats in your pocket when walking by fenced in dogs. Get his attention on you and use treats. With time you may get him to not want to focus on the dogs in the fence. Just a thought. Good Luck with your adoption:)

Dogtracks 03-04-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiegersMom (Post 5135441)
A prong collar would help with the lunging and pulling but read up on using them first. Much better then a choke collar you just don't want to pull constantly. They look painful but all it does is use even pressure. put in around your leg and give it a tug. I have and it just twists the skin and did not hurt. Short fast correction...most learn pretty fast. Studies have shown less damage to the neck and throat with a prong than by dogs using choke collars. :)

I will give it a try then. I don't like the sound he makes when pulling and leash correction doesn't have much effect on him. One thing I did notice. I was having trouble negotiating a steep downhill portion. He slowed and stayed with me.

Dogtracks 03-04-2014 03:46 PM

Thanks! Anything to stop the pulling.

Me_and_Kali 03-04-2014 05:09 PM

having an older dog not accustomed to the leash sounds painful.
i tried teaching my kali to stay in a leash almost as soon as i got her home. well, i used a rope, shoe laces, till i managed to get a proper leash. she was a VERY unexpected addition to the family.
The method worked, and she walks fine in a leash. she kinda pulls, but less than in the beginning. i keep the leash short if i want her to heel, and it works.
[i dont know why i haven watched that video yet, though]

misslesleedavis1 03-04-2014 06:04 PM

I am a fan of the prong collar but first make sure you educate yourself on them.

MatildaTheMalevolent 03-04-2014 06:17 PM

I love TAB289 's dog training videos on youtube. He has some really good tips