German Shepherds Forum banner

New GSD owners..help with our GSD coat??

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Freestep 
#1 · (Edited)
This is our first GSD and we love him unconditionally. His coat and color have changed drastically over the last 5 mos. We rescued him at 8 weeks. His mother was a long haired, red-black GSD and his father was an all black with some tan GSD. And our George is the only one in the litter that looks so different. Any suggestions on the type of coat? Is this typical of a long haired German Shepherd? Any information would be greatly appreciated :) Maybe he isn't a fully GSD? HELP!

#3 ·
George's Pics!

I had to change the resolutions of all of my pics to upload them. It took too long to edit so I had to make a separate entry! Here is our gorgeous George...from 8 weeks, to the last picture was from today and he will be 8 months on 3/7/14

Attachments

#13 ·
I had to change the resolutions of all of my pics to upload them. It took too long to edit so I had to make a separate entry! Here is our gorgeous George...from 8 weeks, to the last picture was from today and he will be 8 months on 3/7/14
Wow his colouring IS very similar to my girl's you were right! :) Beautiful boy :)

#5 ·
She is all Shepherd. Looks to be a patterned sable. Their color changes a lot in the first year, especially with sables. She is gorgeous!!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
Thank you so much! Our George is about 83 lbs and is 27.5" at the shoulder! Big boy. At what age do they stop growing? I know he will fill out a lot more over the next couple of years but he is so big already and not even 8 months. We are worried he might be growing too big too fast and get hip problems :( ... How can you tell if there are any hip problems? He can sit straight up, very pretty; but most of the time he sits very lazy, sideways on his hip.

#8 ·
Oops, HE. LOL

They will continue to grow until 15-18 months, then fill out for another year. It's very important to keep him lean.

You can have his hips xrayed by a veterinarian to check for dysplasia.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#21 ·
He looks like a purebred GSD; there's nothing wrong with his coat, the color is called "sable", which is different from the typical black and tan saddle markings you think of when you think of a GSD.

However, if his mother was a black and red saddleback, and his father was mostly black with some tan (bicolor), it's impossible for them to have a sable puppy. So there may be a different father. Probably still purebred GSD though. He's very handsome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.