German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   New Member from the Ozarks (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/415858-new-member-ozarks.html)

GuterHund 02-24-2014 11:01 PM

New Member from the Ozarks

I have been lurking for quite some time. This forum is a fabulous resource- I am so happy to have found it!
I am a long time dog/(other animal) rescuer. I have had the privilege of having had 2 purebred wonderful GSD's who were from working lines ( or so I am told...who actually knows I never saw any papers).
The first was in the early 1980's and was imported from Germany by a Schutzhund enthusiast. He was injured as a pup- a freak accident. The importer asked me if I would like to have him to physically rehab since he didn't have time or resources to devote -I was thrilled- I said YES!. He was precious.
I had always wanted to get a dog like that again- but- it seemed I always ended up with a full house without actually going out to acquire a particular dog. I had labradors, rottweilers, JRTs and Australian Cattle Dogs.
I had a (short) period of time in which I had no dogs and was doing some volunteer work with some local law enforcement folks. I indicated I would love to acquire a military or LEO dog who needed a home..idle blather .... 4 hours after making that statement, I got a call. There was a GSD female which had to be repurposed (?). She hadn't "worked out" for a small LEO group. Would I like to have her? I went to visit, she was drop dead gorgeous, she growled at me- I was hooked. Hehehe. What a clueless idiot.
We both survived. I got the best friend/partner you have asked for out of the deal. She was my shadow for over a decade. I was lucky and very blessed. These dogs are so very special.
She passed on Jan 1, 2014. I am here now doing my due diligence to find her successor and to prepare to give that dog the best home possible.
What an interesting, knowledgeable group this is!
So- helloo and Thank you for all your info.
An aside- I hope my username means Good Dog- if not, let me know.....hehehe I used some internet translator...:)
Okey doke. That's all folks.

Gwenhwyfair 02-24-2014 11:09 PM

Hi, welcome and so sorry for your loss.....

Good luck with your puppy search!

SuperG 02-24-2014 11:13 PM

I sense that is exactly what you will do...."....to give that dog the best home possible"

Best of luck in your pursuits,

SuperG

Charlie W 02-25-2014 05:14 AM

Guter Hund does mean good dog, but only as in it's a good type of dog not as in well behaved or "aw, you're a good dog.." Hope that makes sense! Good luck with your search :)

Kayos and Havoc 02-25-2014 09:49 AM

Welcome to you! I know you will find another great GSD when you are ready. So sorry for your loss.

GuterHund 02-25-2014 04:38 PM

Thank you for your warm welcome and kind thoughts.
I have found much comfort reading here about everyone and your wonderful dogs.

Thank you for the correct interpretation of my "username". I suppose it will do- I had intended for it to be the " aw what a good dog" meaning. The other nuanced definition may be just fine as well...I guess I'll keep it ;).

I have been all over the place reading, reading, reading....I just haven't taken the time to develop a signature or proper avatar and profile yet. I will try to do that soon.

I currently have an 8 year old circus dog/Meerkat mix (that is my best guess). I need to get her in my signature I guess..

My search is going to be for an adult or an older puppy for a variety of reasons (known personality-WYSIWYG). Most of my dogs have had checkered pasts and this time I would like to get one who has a good health history and not a lot of baggage.

A puppy is just too challenging at this time. I would like to know a lot more about early childhood training before I attempt to raise (another) one.

I have other comments to make and I will try to post them in appropriate threads.
Once again thanks for the welcome and my compliments on a very useful friendly forum.

OK thanks.

Kahrg4 02-25-2014 04:47 PM

:welcome:
Hi from Springfield, MO! Welcome to the forum!

GuterHund 02-25-2014 10:56 PM

Hi Back! I am thrilled to see someone from Springfield MO! I have been calling around trying to find trainers and GSD/Malinois folks in the area. I have contacted the local training club - they are in process of getting some things going.... Any body doing IPO or other things of interest? Can you point me in any direction? Thanks so much. I am located about 40 miles S of Branson and it is a little over an hour's drive to Sprfld. How nice of you to say howdy.

tomas13216 02-25-2014 11:17 PM

Sorry for your loss. Welcome to the group from northern Arkansas. Good luck finding a pup.

Loneforce 02-25-2014 11:37 PM

Welcome Aboard!! & sorry for the loss of your shadow...