New guy from FL - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New guy from FL

I decided to join the forum after browsing for a few weeks.

We just inherited an 8 month old GSD named "Pheobe". She is my 2nd large breed dog, but first large breed purebred. She is a high energy dog, yet very submissive and loves to work for us. We must have an assignment for her at all times. Pheobe walks about 4 miles per day (2 miles am and 2 miles pm). We also have a long haired piebald purebred miniature dauchshund named "Baxter". Baxter is a calm assertive dog that is assuredly the quintessential "alpha male". The pairing has been quite nice - as long as Pheebs has a task, Baxter very much appreciates laying in his tummy and watching her.

Some stats for your comments...

At 8 months Pheobe weights about 58 pounds, she eats 6 cups of Nitro Max Large Puppy Breed dry dog food. Heart worms are controlled with Heartguard and fleas with Comfortis. Baxter uses Trifexis, but recently has vomited it and I want to go back to the staggered approach with both dogs. Heartguard at time=zero, and Comfortis at time=5 days. Thoughts on my decisions for Pheobe?

She is the smartest dog I have ever had and that includes 4 doxies, a boxer/chow mix, a terrier/chow mix, and an English bulldog. Snaps of my fingers and a sharp "eeeyyh" will get her mindset in tune with me. I walk her on lead for the first mile, correcting for my pace at no more than a head's length in front of my left leg movement and the last mile, I take her off lead and correct with snaps and verbals. She is brilliant as I can get her to "heel" with distractions already. I'm excited about the audible control I have of this dog - more than I ever had in any dog before. She is truly a follower, and I want that in a big dog like this. Any predictions on how big she will grow? I'm guessing around 75-85 pounds? Maybe a little less?

Excited to finally have a GSD. Looking forward to learning from all of you and maybe one day help others out.

JC

We like to keep it German around here.

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 02-22-2014 at 09:31 AM.
OkaloosaGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hello and welcome to you!
stellahenseq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Welcome to the forum and isn't getting an older pup great!

Can't wait to see pictures and remember if you start going to dog classes (any dog classes) then you'll really start seeing how amazing your pup is!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Welcome from S. Florida! Sounds like you are lucky enough to have a dog that likes to learn. You should have a great time with her. Look for fun stuff like Rally, dock diving, agility. With a dog that listens that well already she should be a dream to train.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

75 to 80 pounds sounds big for a Female. My Jake weighs 82 pound and his mother was 71 pounds. You should be able to feel her Ribs.
fredh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.