German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   New guy from FL (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/414402-new-guy-fl.html)

OkaloosaGSD 02-22-2014 02:24 AM

New guy from FL

I decided to join the forum after browsing for a few weeks.

We just inherited an 8 month old GSD named "Pheobe". She is my 2nd large breed dog, but first large breed purebred. She is a high energy dog, yet very submissive and loves to work for us. We must have an assignment for her at all times. Pheobe walks about 4 miles per day (2 miles am and 2 miles pm). We also have a long haired piebald purebred miniature dauchshund named "Baxter". Baxter is a calm assertive dog that is assuredly the quintessential "alpha male". The pairing has been quite nice - as long as Pheebs has a task, Baxter very much appreciates laying in his tummy and watching her.

Some stats for your comments...

At 8 months Pheobe weights about 58 pounds, she eats 6 cups of Nitro Max Large Puppy Breed dry dog food. Heart worms are controlled with Heartguard and fleas with Comfortis. Baxter uses Trifexis, but recently has vomited it and I want to go back to the staggered approach with both dogs. Heartguard at time=zero, and Comfortis at time=5 days. Thoughts on my decisions for Pheobe?

She is the smartest dog I have ever had and that includes 4 doxies, a boxer/chow mix, a terrier/chow mix, and an English bulldog. Snaps of my fingers and a sharp "eeeyyh" will get her mindset in tune with me. I walk her on lead for the first mile, correcting for my pace at no more than a head's length in front of my left leg movement and the last mile, I take her off lead and correct with snaps and verbals. She is brilliant as I can get her to "heel" with distractions already. I'm excited about the audible control I have of this dog - more than I ever had in any dog before. She is truly a follower, and I want that in a big dog like this. Any predictions on how big she will grow? I'm guessing around 75-85 pounds? Maybe a little less?

Excited to finally have a GSD. Looking forward to learning from all of you and maybe one day help others out.

JC

stellahenseq 02-22-2014 06:13 AM

Hello and welcome to you! :)

MaggieRoseLee 02-22-2014 09:32 AM

Welcome to the forum and isn't getting an older pup great!

Can't wait to see pictures and remember if you start going to dog classes (any dog classes) then you'll really start seeing how amazing your pup is!

:)

pyratemom 02-22-2014 11:38 AM

Welcome from S. Florida! Sounds like you are lucky enough to have a dog that likes to learn. You should have a great time with her. Look for fun stuff like Rally, dock diving, agility. With a dog that listens that well already she should be a dream to train.

fredh 02-22-2014 04:23 PM

75 to 80 pounds sounds big for a Female. My Jake weighs 82 pound and his mother was 71 pounds. You should be able to feel her Ribs.