German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   New member with new pup looking for advice (socialization?) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/411818-new-member-new-pup-looking-advice-socialization.html)

MacD 02-16-2014 12:34 PM

New member with new pup looking for advice (socialization?)

:D Greetings from Central CA! I have a new addition to my family and he's a beauty. He will be turning 8 months old tomorrow.

He is a long coat GSD and as soon as I figure out how to make him into my avatar I will.

I hope this link works - Bak - MacClavey Photography

Here is where I would really appreciate people taking their valuable time and giving me some advice. Bak seems to have a stable temperament and just fit right in but my question is, :help: should I take him out and about or keep him home for the first 2 weeks and have him settle in first?

If he was older or a rescue ( I adopted him from a soldier who was deploying) then I would keep him close to home and work on trust and engagement and take my time introducing him to his new world.

But since he is a pup I am thinking to take him out, to the beach and outside of dog parks (I don't take my dogs in ) and let him smell all the new smells and hear the train etc. I usually don't let people interact with my dogs or let him run with other dogs.

I would appreciate hearing peoples views on to socialize or not to socialize for the first few weeks.

Thank you in advance just for reading this far if you did. Wishing you all a great day .. Maggie

shepherdmom 02-16-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacD (Post 5031202)
:D Greetings from Central CA! I have a new addition to my family and he's a beauty. He will be turning 8 months old tomorrow.

He is a long coat GSD and as soon as I figure out how to make him into my avatar I will.

I hope this link works - Bak - MacClavey Photography

Here is where I would really appreciate people taking their valuable time and giving me some advice. Bak seems to have a stable temperament and just fit right in but my question is, :help: should I take him out and about or keep him home for the first 2 weeks and have him settle in first?

If he was older or a rescue ( I adopted him from a soldier who was deploying) then I would keep him close to home and work on trust and engagement and take my time introducing him to his new world.

But since he is a pup I am thinking to take him out, to the beach and outside of dog parks (I don't take my dogs in ) and let him smell all the new smells and hear the train etc. I usually don't let people interact with my dogs or let him run with other dogs.

I would appreciate hearing peoples views on to socialize or not to socialize for the first few weeks.

Thank you in advance just for reading this far if you did. Wishing you all a great day .. Maggie

No expert here, but even a puppy I would let settle in a little bit. My personal opinion is you don't want to overload them too fast. Maybe not a full two weeks but slowly a little bit at a time.

my boy diesel 02-16-2014 01:26 PM

treat him as a rescue for the moment
even though you knew the owner
let him build relationship with you
before throwing new things his way
i must say he is gorgeous :)

MacD 02-16-2014 05:28 PM

Thank you shepherdmom and my boy diesel for your guidance.

I hope to find a lot of good info on this forum as it appears there are a lot of members with tons of experience.

Yes diesel, he is gorgeous isn't he? He is my first long coat. Thanks for noticing :)

David Taggart 02-16-2014 06:33 PM

It would be wiser to study him first. In order to build a special relationship provide him with new experiences away from people and other dogs, take him to new places, share your lunch with him, try to make your walks long. He must know the area of 3miles radius around your house well, it will make you busy, put him on a long leash. I'd also suggest to start 2 diaries on him, one diary - your own considerations on his daily behaviour as files on your computer, and the secound one - handwritten, the spring is on, and you may like to sit and write couple of minutes. Be specific about his behaviour - how he holds his head, describe the way he walks, how exactly he reacts. If you start reading it the next day it will provide you with insight into your dog you would never have guessed in time of writing, and after a month or so, when your dog is older, these notes would help you to estimate his progress.

MacD 02-16-2014 08:14 PM

David Taggert, how lovely your post is. Very poetic in fact. I can see me sitting with my boy sharing a meal and keeping a journal describing his actions.

And yes, how important that he knows how to find his way home - just in case. A 3 mile radius is a good rule of thumb. I do live in an earthquake zone.

Reminds me that I have to get his chip info changed too. Thank you.

Gretchen 02-16-2014 08:15 PM

I would take him out with you, walk in your neighborhood, but not let him around other dogs or strangers until he does settle in and you get a better read on his personality.

Our GSD was attacked by another GSD when she was younger at the dog park. The owner just rescued this dog and had no idea of its personality and many nice dogs suffered. Thank you for taking this gorgeous boy into your home.

MacD 02-16-2014 09:13 PM

Ah Gretchen, I am sorry to hear your dog was attacked. It sure can change them and not for the better.

Bak is so friendly that I get fooled into thinking I know him and then I do a reality check - I don't know him.

I have a small 6 year old miniature poodle x who is crotchety as all get out. He is very kind with her - mind you he is leashed to me just in case.

I also have 4 cats .. I moved them outside to the utility room for now. He is making some strides in reacting less to them but I have to be careful - one of them - Festus - is almost 19 years old and will not run - well, he can't, and will fight back. The ole guy still has claws too. Got to protect Bak's eyes.

Life is so fine when you have a GSD in your life. Thank you for sharing your opinions.

Bak just finished a serving of yogurt and fresh blueberries - that's what I will take on our lunch date :)

David Winners 02-16-2014 10:08 PM

:welcome: ;)

MacD 02-16-2014 11:23 PM

David Winners! Greetings to you and a huge thank you for your welcome.

I do believe I am going to like it here :) - some very nice ppl have shared their wisdom and I really appreciate it.

So the plan is - low key walks and a natural sharing of what life with us will mean to our new boy.

Lots of time to have him become the brilliant star that is lurking under his fur (grin)