German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   Just rescued my first gsd (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/411034-just-rescued-my-first-gsd.html)

lauracrawley 02-14-2014 12:19 PM

Just rescued my first gsd

Hi, I have just rescued my first gsd. After seeing her for sale on the internet, I went to see her and she was living in pure filth !!!! She is 2 1/2 and so very thin and timid. I took her straight to the vet on the way home to make sure she wAs healthy and he said apart from being very underweight she is fine. I defleed and wormed her but we have a couple of problems. Problem 1 is not so bad but she is petrified of people she doesn't know. I'm sure this will improve with confidence as she is so very nervous of every thing. Problem 2 is a bit more of an issue, we keep having accidents in the night and they are very runny poos. She is fine in the day and I let her out about half 11 and when I get up at half 5 she has made quite a mess. What's the best way to over come this ? I have had dogs all my life but they have always been rescues who have been house trained. Any advise on our problem and also the best way to put weight on her would be great.

Eiros 02-14-2014 12:30 PM

Is she crate trained? If not, I'd start working on that right away. A crate the right size for her will discourage her from using her sleeping space as a bathroom. If she's timid, it may help her that way too - many dogs view the crate as a "den", and enjoy being in it because it provides them a safe place of their own.

Otherwise, I would keep potty training her as you would a puppy. When she potties outside, reward and praise her. Remove her water dish passed 8pm or so. If it helps to get up with her in the middle of the night once too (our 9-month old sometimes still gets me up in the middle of the night to go out) then that's another opportunity to praise her for going outside.

GSKnight 02-14-2014 12:30 PM

First, let me say thank you for rescuing this girl.

My thoughts on the poo issue are that her system will settle down after consistent feeding with a good food. I think her body just needs to adjust.

As for the shyness and being scared of new people/things... this will take time. Don't push her to do too much too fast. People on here talk about a 2 weeks time out, where you don't introduce new people or experiences to gave her a chance to relax.

I am sure people with more experience to give you good advice here... so I say... read, learn and love.

Eiros 02-14-2014 12:42 PM

About the poo issue (assuming she doesn't have a medical issue - they can be hard to find sometimes)... this might be the problem at night. If my pup has diarrhea, he gets me up frequently in the night... he just cant hold it (could you?)

When this happens (many GSDs have sensitive stomachs) I give him some pure canned pumpkin (no spices) in his food, and if it's really bad and I'm desperate, I'll break a pepto pill into halves or thirds and give him a bit. Within a couple hours, the diarrhea stops.

lauracrawley 02-14-2014 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, yes she was kept in a cage at her last home but I don't think she came out very often, I was thinking about getting a crate but our house is not very big and I worry it may take up too much space but if she needs it I will get one anyway. It does tend to be one large poo during the night and It's not mega runny just not very solid. I was thinking if I get up every 2 hours and let her out it may help so will try that tonight. She is on tinned butchers dog food with butchers mixer 3 times a day Attachment 179946

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Eiros 02-14-2014 01:07 PM

What a beautiful girl! Thank you for rescuing!! Getting up at night is a good idea.

Our house isn't very big either, but we still have a big crate for our boy! It helps keep him safe (and out of trouble!) when we are gone for longer periods too. I know what you mean though, its a big and not-so-decorative addition to the living room :p

Sp00ks 02-14-2014 01:36 PM

Awww, she is a sweet looking girl. Good Luck with her and thank you for rescuing her.

Lilie 02-14-2014 01:39 PM

If she was really wormy, that could account for her runny poop.

Mister C 02-14-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauracrawley (Post 5021754)
Hi, yes she was kept in a cage at her last home but I don't think she came out very often, I was thinking about getting a crate but our house is not very big and I worry it may take up too much space but if she needs it I will get one anyway. It does tend to be one large poo during the night and It's not mega runny just not very solid. I was thinking if I get up every 2 hours and let her out it may help so will try that tonight. She is on tinned butchers dog food with butchers mixer 3 times a day Attachment 179946

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

What a sweet face she has. Thank you for rescuing her. She looks so shy and timid from that picture. I will be wonderful to see her flower under your care.

I'm not expert but if she has been kept in a cage too much I suspect that she has become accustomed to using her cage as a bathroom. With no other place to go she didn't have a choice. That may make potty training harder. I am a big fan of crate training for a variety of reasons and suggest you make room for a crate if at all possible.

I've used Imodium for my GSD when she had really runny poos. Imodium is available in a liquid form. By weighing her and measuring liquid carefully you can administer the right dose (disclaimer: I'n not a vet, just a pet owner relating a past experience). However, I suspect that she may be simply adjusting to new food which can make her poo very soft and even runny for a while.

Best of luck to you and your new family member,

Michael

Jelpy 02-14-2014 02:26 PM

Poor Pup. She looks like she has no idea why she is being allowed to sleep on a comfortable pillow.

Jelpy