German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Introductions & Welcome Mat (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/)
-   -   Say Hello to Harley! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/410186-say-hello-harley.html)

HarleyBossemaines 02-12-2014 12:22 PM

Say Hello to Harley!

5 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone! My boyfriend and I adopted harley at 8 weeks the day after Christmas. He is now 15 weeks and such a growing boy! We love him so much! If anyone has any advice please do not hesitate as this is our first gsd

GSKnight 02-12-2014 12:25 PM

Awww... such a cute puppy and growing fast.

As for advice, read a lot here, and ask questions... train and love your pup. (best I can do)

KathrynApril 02-12-2014 12:28 PM

Hello Harley! What a cute puppy! :)

MaggieRoseLee 02-12-2014 12:40 PM

He's a beauty! Thanks for posting the pictures!

:)

HarleyTheGSD 02-12-2014 12:58 PM

Welcome! I have a Harley as well. :)
Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have about your pup.

HarleyBossemaines 02-12-2014 01:07 PM

Thanks for all the love, these are the only questions I have:
Harley is now 15 weeks! He is getting so big so fast. My only questions for all the ownsers out there are what food are you feeding? We use blue buffalo wilderness large breed puppy but our trainer suggests raw food. We go clean him teeth weekly because of the kibble. Also, how early did you start teaching commands? Harley is in puppy class but the instructor insists I only ask him to come no other commands. Of course this is the first I am hearing of this and Harley already knows sit paw down stay up and speak. He even knows the hand signals. After hearing this a month into the class I am now fearful he will have a hard time during obedience/ protection training which is what the trainer said. Any thoughts?

LaRen616 02-12-2014 01:08 PM

Hello Harley!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new family member! :)

Sp00ks 02-12-2014 02:12 PM

very cute pup. Welcome Harley!!

Shepnut 02-12-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyBossemaines (Post 5010354)
Thanks for all the love, these are the only questions I have:
Harley is now 15 weeks! He is getting so big so fast. My only questions for all the ownsers out there are what food are you feeding? We use blue buffalo wilderness large breed puppy but our trainer suggests raw food. We go clean him teeth weekly because of the kibble. Also, how early did you start teaching commands? Harley is in puppy class but the instructor insists I only ask him to come no other commands. Of course this is the first I am hearing of this and Harley already knows sit paw down stay up and speak. He even knows the hand signals. After hearing this a month into the class I am now fearful he will have a hard time during obedience/ protection training which is what the trainer said. Any thoughts?

Harley, you will hear frequently, "oh, you have a problem then seek out a trainer." It is as if we herald the "trainer" as some omniscient being when in truth there are many ill-informed trainers. So...

Your trainer says only work on come and yet your dog can do so much more. Now you are concerned but don't be. Do as much basic obedience as you can at this stage as long as it is all positive. You say you are in a class so maybe your trainer isn't even being mindful of your dog specifically as he says these things.

Is your class a petsmart type class or are you already at a private club? Are there other working breeds in the class? What are you aiming to do with your puppy?

I personally prefer raw but blue buffalo is a good brand if you stick with kibble. You sound like you really are a responsible owner and perhaps should reconsider raw. Once you start raw, it isn't difficult to do at all.

Your puppy is very cute and no doubt very intelligent. Enjoy him and take pics as he will grow so quickly! :)

HarleyTheGSD 02-12-2014 02:51 PM

I feed mine Diamond. It's fairly cheap, but it doesn't have all those bad fillers.