German Shepherds Forum banner

Rescue puppy

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  hannahc_11 
#1 ·
Good Morning all,
Ive recently adopted a five week old puppy who I think is a German Shepherd mix, and was hoping for lots of advice to raise him right. He was found on the side of the road by our vet tech abandoned and covered in fleas : (
When I took my other dog to the vet he was crying and carrying on in the other room so I agreed to foster him. If he had been taken to the local shelter he would have been put down. We live on Guam and there is a massive stray dog problem and only one shelter. Needless to say we fell head over heels for him and he is now a permanent member of the family and im so excited.
Currently he is estimated about six weeks old and he weighs about 6.5lbs. When I got him a week ago he had a pretty severe worm infestation so he may have been a little stunted and behind in growth. He has been dewormed and I think gained about a pound in the week we have had him.
So I was just wondering what you guys thought of him and if he looks shepherd to you and then also any tips on how to raise a well behaved Shepherd.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Took him to the vet today and found out he has coccidia now as well. But he gained a little over 1.5lbs in a week so I think hes doing pretty good. He had a severe case of worms when I first got him and that seems to be cleared up, now to clear up the coccidia and hopefully get him healthy. Im thinking if he had both worms and now coccidia he probably had his growth stunted a little bit and should shoot up here pretty quickly once the meds clear it all up. Vet said we are doing a great job because that last week when he was only 5 weeks old was a crucial week for him and in spite of having everything he has had, he looks really good and his coat is still shiny and full. Cant wait to get him over this rough start and see what he turns into.

#6 ·
he is not quite as dark as the pics make him look. Definitely more of the light brown on a shepherd than the redish coloring on a Rott. But that was my first reaction as well. I know that one of the main dogs on the island is the shepherd so im assuming thats more than likely what he is, at least a mix of. Also his lower jaw is black and it would be brown for a rot. He is still very young though so I am curious to see what characteristics start to come out.

#9 ·
im so excited! ive always loved German Shepherds but my husband picked a lab over a Shepherd mix for our first dog and then after her we didnt want anymore big dogs. Now we just happened to come across this one and fell in love so I finally have my Shepherd or at least a part of one : )

#10 ·
Poor little baby! I'm so glad you are taking care of him!

Do you still plan to ONLY foster him? If so, then beware! --You are going ti get very arrached to that ADORABLE puppy!!!!! :wub:

I have been fostering dogs for 9 years now. My last foster got her new forever home this December. My first foster were a pair of puppies and I fell head over heels in love! It was so hard to say goodbye. However, everytime you give a dog to a loving home your heart is filled with such an abundance of joy. It can be an extremely rewarding experience! You are doing a very noble thing. ;)

As far as raising him goes:
1) I found that I was so worrysome when it came to my pup's ears. When one of Mika's ears fell and stayed flopped for about 4 days I was so worried thst it wouldn't come back up. I talked to her breeder and I looked online. Everything/everyone said not to worry. They were right! Her ear popped back up and it has stayed up. So if tgat happens to you, try not to worry yourself like I did.

2) My aunt, who is a huge shepherc person, lent me s book to read. I have found it to be very, very useful. Plus it is a very easy read. The book is called, "The Art of Raising a Puppy," and it is written by The Monks of New Skete. It is all about German Shepherds. I have no idea if it is still in print or not, but I think it is worth looking into, because it talks a lot about the different stages of growth in puppies and what to expect/do.

Again, welcome, and good luck with that adorable little guy!

#14 ·
we "fostered" him for almost a week before my husband caved and said he could stay : )
He was such a little baby and I slept on the couch with him for two nights to keep him from crying and waking the house up. I think after that I was done! There was no going back. When I thought I had to find him a home I cried. He was so little and needed a momma and I just fell in love with him right away. Plus how could you not love that little face

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.